Which mainstream religion story...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2013, 12:53 AM
RE: Which mainstream religion story...
1. Mormonism

2. Jainsim

3. Scientology (it's a bad sci-fi novel already, make it a B-movie on purpose, and hopefully we can get something awesome like Starship Troopers)

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2013, 03:12 AM
Not Starship Troopers. Check out Battlefield Earth, a novel written by L. Ron Hubbard (the founder of Scientology) and starring Scientology actors in the movie (same title), it basically tells a part of the Scientology story treated as sci-fi rather than made-up religious fantasy-history.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
25-01-2013, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2013 05:17 AM by SingingBear.)
Islam is pretty goddamn ridiculous. Anything that has people blowing themselves up to fulfill their religious duties and women covering themselves from head to toe is pretty fucking stupid.

It's all ridiculous, but anything that actively encourages bloodshed and sexism is pretty fucking high on the worthless meter. Even the Christian literalists don't stone women who marry without proof of virginity nor do most of them require genital mutilation, despite the bible demands.

I suppose it comes down to how seriously your delusion impacts those around you.

As to which would make the best movie, I invite you to watch the recent Avengers. There you go. Asatru. Odinism. Grossed millions. Or how about The Passion? I don't know. They can all make pretty decent fiction; given enough money, a good cast, and director.

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
25-01-2013, 05:14 AM
By the way, please don't take that last statement literally. I don't believe the Avengers was out to push Odinism or the Asatru. But the deities made a pretty damn popular movie.

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
25-01-2013, 10:15 AM
(25-01-2013 03:12 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Not Starship Troopers. Check out Battlefield Earth, a novel written by L. Ron Hubbard (the founder of Scientology) and starring Scientology actors in the movie (same title), it basically tells a part of the Scientology story treated as sci-fi rather than made-up religious fantasy-history.

I was aware of it, it's just that Battlefield Earth takes itself too damn seriously and sucks. Starship Troopers is fun, goofy, and filled with plenty of over the top violence and gore; and it ended up being a blast. Big Grin

Starship Troopers > Batlefield Earth

also...

Starship Troopers, the original book by Robert Heinlein, is a great read. Has nothing to do with the movie at all (the name was licensed for a preexisting script, the movie was not an adaptation by any means), and is more akin to older 'big idea' sci-fi novels like 'Dune' (although nowhere near as dense as the aforementioned Frank Herbert work). Thumbsup

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
25-01-2013, 10:37 AM
It's a little more than that. It's been a long time since I read the book, but I'm pretty sure that there is more in common between the book and movie than you are suggesting, such as character names, all the moral philosophy stuff, and the focus on citizen vs. civilian and earning citizenship through Federal service, for a few examples. I also recall that the "arachnids" were in there, including their planet Klendathu and the fact that they blew up Buenos Aires (but only killed Rico's mother - his father signs up for Federal service and ends up a sergeant in Rico's Roughnecks in the last chapter), but the bugs were only a small part of the story. So it wasn't just slapping the the title onto a pre-existing script; the script was a bit of an adaptation of parts of the book, ignoring the parts where Rico was on operations against human targets, ignoring the really cool powered armor suits, and blended in with a whole bunch of extra "arachnid" stuff that didn't exist in the book.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The True Meaning of Religion Ray Butler 3 49 Today 07:45 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Religion serves a useful survival purpose Mozart Link 63 896 Yesterday 07:05 AM
Last Post: Mozart Link
Wink Favorite Bible Story Anyone? A Female Free of Faith 44 562 12-08-2014 10:44 PM
Last Post: Colourcraze
  Atheism as a religion and/or philosophy TheBeardedDude 24 352 08-08-2014 11:28 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee
  Atheists Need To Stop Being So Hard On Dawkins For His Blunt Criticisms Of Religion WindyCityJazz 10 249 05-08-2014 12:21 PM
Last Post: Adrianime
  The root of all pain and suffering: religion. Quantum1Connect 9 197 03-08-2014 04:40 PM
Last Post: TheInquisition
Video The TRUE Story of JOB Mage The Entertainer 5 129 27-07-2014 12:28 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball