Which phone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2014, 06:01 AM
RE: Which phone?
When it comes to operating system, buy what your friends have. If you're in the android space I recommend the "pure google" Nexus 5: http://www.google.com/nexus/5/

With other android phones you are unlikely to receive operating system upgrades after the first year of ownership. The Nexus series is google's flagship, so receives ongoing updates. My Nexus 7 tablet from 2011 is still getting the latest updates from google.

Beyond keeping the operating system current, the Nexus is a capable and very cheap device. It's significantly better value than both the iphone and high end Samsung range.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
06-08-2014, 06:02 AM
I upgraded to an Iphone5 a few months ago which meant my husband got my old 4. I don't use the phone much at all, in fact, most of the time it's in the bottom of my purse with the ringer off. But I do like to use it now and then for a quick search online and I use it to listen to Pandora at work. I have way more phone than I need or use. But it hasn't given me any problems, neither did the 4. I have managed a few good pictures with it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
06-08-2014, 06:34 AM
(06-08-2014 06:01 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  When it comes to operating system, buy what your friends have. If you're in the android space I recommend the "pure google" Nexus 5: http://www.google.com/nexus/5/

With other android phones you are unlikely to receive operating system upgrades after the first year of ownership. The Nexus series is google's flagship, so receives ongoing updates. My Nexus 7 tablet from 2011 is still getting the latest updates from google.

Beyond keeping the operating system current, the Nexus is a capable and very cheap device. It's significantly better value than both the iphone and high end Samsung range.

^ This.
06-08-2014, 06:54 AM
I like my iphone5.

It works all the time. If I hear of a cool app, it's available.

I use my phone the same way as you, and I'm no longer impressed by a thousand things a phone is capable of when I won't use those functions anyway.

Like you there was a time I was chained to my phone, and I think I'm old enough to appreciate the days when people weren't chained to a device and on some days crave the peacefulness of it.

Owned an android and hated it. Yes I could personalize more but it was constantly rebooting, hated that phone.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-08-2014, 07:03 AM
(05-08-2014 11:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have been very happy with my Samsung Galaxy SII Sky Rocket (Android).

Of course, they're up to S4 or S5, now, but you can still get the SII and S3.
I would be inclined to agree with Chas. I've been using my Samsung Galaxy SII for some three years now and it's still sufficient for any and all tasks you can perform with a smartphone.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
06-08-2014, 07:23 AM
[Image: 0f35bfd2dbd1c70df0fe8c8041468b03ec09ddb2.jpg]

I've only ever owned one phone, the Nokia 3510 from 2002. My husband was given a colour version so he gave me his monochrome one. His colour version was lost 7 years later, best guess is that we left it in the car when it got taken away to be scrapped.

I used to have to charge the phone twice a year. I only used it for sending text messages when I needed picking up from somewhere. I had a pay as you go tariff and one time I didn't use it for over 6 months and it got cancelled so I never bothered buying a new sim card.

An aunt lent me a Siemens phone when I moved to Germany but I hated it so I used the Nokia instead. I'll get a new sim card when I take up paragliding again and will use the Nokia for that because it seems bomb proof.
06-08-2014, 07:35 AM
(06-08-2014 07:03 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 11:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have been very happy with my Samsung Galaxy SII Sky Rocket (Android).

Of course, they're up to S4 or S5, now, but you can still get the SII and S3.
I would be inclined to agree with Chas. I've been using my Samsung Galaxy SII for some three years now and it's still sufficient for any and all tasks you can perform with a smartphone.

We have the same phone - it's like karma or cosmic synchronicity or kismet. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-08-2014, 08:57 AM
(06-08-2014 07:23 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I used to have to charge the phone twice a year. I only used it for sending text messages when I needed picking up from somewhere. I had a pay as you go tariff and one time I didn't use it for over 6 months and it got cancelled so I never bothered buying a new sim card.

An aunt lent me a Siemens phone when I moved to Germany but I hated it so I used the Nokia instead. I'll get a new sim card when I take up paragliding again and will use the Nokia for that because it seems bomb proof.

Bomb proof you say? Consider
[Image: e84.jpg]
[Image: 4aa.jpg]
[Image: nokia_o_723755.jpg]
[Image: indestructible-nokia-meme-strongest-hammer.jpg]
[Image: good-guy-nokia-3310_o_1008779.jpg]
[Image: BCE480868.jpg]
No explanation needed.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 4 users Like Im_Ryan's post
06-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Ha - and here I thought I was a dinosaur for admiring the many qualities of Nokia including it's tank like nature.

Consider Maybe ... if I lead my own personal advertisement championing Nokia phones ... and make sure Nokia sees it ... maybe, just maybe ... they'll give me a fabulous, fancy new, unlocked Nokia... yathink? Dodgy
>:o

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I've never had a screen break or crack. I've dropped my nexus 4 twice and it doesnt have a scratch. I just have the optional bumper on it. The only phone that has actually sustained any damage was the Nokia lumia. The plastic got dented/gouged, and the screen chipped simply from falling less than 2 feet out my car door. But it is true ive never seen a broken nokia. Lots of ppl with fucked up iphones. My cousin has broken 4 galaxy screens. One girl i knew had her nexus screen crack... But she drops that shit like its hot whenever she's PMSing. Of course, I don't get butter fingers a few days a month... So dropping my phones have never been an issue.