Which reference management tools and academic search engines do you use?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Which reference management tools and academic search engines do you use?
Google Scholar is great for interactive search and it supports exporting to a variety of reference managers like BibTeX, EndNote, RefMan, and RefWorks but it doesn't support automated collection (against Google policy). Microsoft Academic just plain sucks Like it will return 10s of results where Google returns 100s or 1000s.

I'm using Web Of Science, EndNote, and CiteWhileYouWrite for MS Word? Anyone got better ideas?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2016, 01:49 PM
RE: Which reference management tools and academic search engines do you use?
BibTex/there's a replacement for BibTex, BibLatex I think. Always covered me for citations, except it's always fiddly. Bit like git. Every *fucking* time I need to do common shit like delete a remote branch I have to google it 'cos the syntax is not easy to remember. BibTex is like that. But I dunno how it plays with other programs than Latex, I've always just used Latex for writing shit.

As an aside, try fossil-scm.org for the best source control tool you will ever find. And it's so fucking simple. Git is a gothic monstrosity.

Academic search engines... I don't do heavy academic stuff. Generally google and google scholar do me right.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-12-2016, 02:12 PM
RE: Which reference management tools and academic search engines do you use?
Google for the most part as now I don't deal with heavy academic subjects. For serious research I use bazhum (database of polish academic journals). Just reading bibliographies of books written by top of field x author also isn't out of question.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.