Which type of knife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Which type of knife?
I don't know anything about knives short of my kitchen knives.

I need a knife that:

I can put in my jacket pocket, small is good

must cut thick rope

must cut twigs and very small branches

and the blade must be sturdy, i.e. not flop freaking backwards while you are cutting like the pocket knife I have now.

Recommendations?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2016, 07:59 AM
RE: Which type of knife?
[Image: image.png?w=400&c=1]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
11-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Paging yakherder Laugh out load Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
11-12-2016, 09:11 AM
(11-12-2016 07:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know anything about knives short of my kitchen knives.

I need a knife that:

I can put in my jacket pocket, small is good

must cut thick rope

must cut twigs and very small branches

and the blade must be sturdy, i.e. not flop freaking backwards while you are cutting like the pocket knife I have now.

Recommendations?
The below is my pocket knife. I also carry a Gerber Mk. 1 when I'm out of the civilization zone.
[Image: 2fdd6062-f807-49c9-8fb0-d36cf530712d_1.2...nBg=FFFFFF]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
11-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Any decent lockblade - such as a Buck 110 or Schrade LB7 will work well, and with care last a lifetime. (go with older Schrades that were still American made --- better steel)

Plus they hold a decent edge.

Check local laws - and don't carry anything that exceeds legal concealed length.

I carry a Jaguar -- a "cheap" Chinese made 2 inch lockblade -- that somehow slipped through the Chinese "quality control"....

It's an all stainless, skeletonized lightweight that really holds a good sharp edge. It sold in the local hardware store for 6 bucks.

I'd buy ten more, if I could find them....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-12-2016, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2016 09:57 AM by skyking.)
When I worked on the water, you had to carry a knife that would cut your boat away from something that is sinking and going to drag your boat down. We were dredging and had an 18' aluminum work boat, and we used 3/4" line for most things. Sawing through a large rope with a straight sharp blade is very difficult because the rope grips the side of the blade as you get into the job, unless you can fold it back as you go. Not always possible. I'm not a big brand whore, but I carried a Kershaw with a half serrated blade. The serrations really kicked ass on tough things. Here is what I would suggest, or something similar.
https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1605CKTST...es+kershaw

It's just a cheap knife, made in China with Kershaw's design and name on it. It will cut things like twigs, branches and ropes with ease. the smooth front section will do the more delicate work.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
11-12-2016, 10:14 AM
For large ropes and twigs I'd go for a serrated, hawkbill blade, maybe a Spyderco folder. You need to let's know what blade length you want too. I have a 3" straight folder as an EDC.

(BTW, I'm not too impressed with some Gerber's apparently not holding their edge well; they seem to vary depending on where they're made.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
11-12-2016, 10:19 AM
(11-12-2016 10:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:  For large ropes and twigs I'd go for a serrated, hawkbill blade, maybe a Spyderco folder. You need to let's know what blade length you want too. I have a 3" straight folder as an EDC.

(BTW, I'm not too impressed with some Gerber's apparently not holding their edge well; they seem to vary depending on where they're made.)

I was never a big fan of Gerber either -- as they seem kind of pricey.

Then my sister got me one for hunting.....

I thought it ridiculous -- 6 inch curved leading edge - with a guthook and rubber grips....

But DAMN --- it'll unzip a deer like you wouldn't believe -- and the blade is sharp enough and tough enough to split the sternum of an older deer...... And apparently it never dulls..... (I just only use it for gutting deer - so it seems that way).

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-12-2016, 10:30 AM
(11-12-2016 10:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:  For large ropes and twigs I'd go for a serrated, hawkbill blade, maybe a Spyderco folder. You need to let's know what blade length you want too. I have a 3" straight folder as an EDC.

Mine's from the '70s.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2016, 02:42 AM
(11-12-2016 09:51 AM)skyking Wrote:  When I worked on the water, you had to carry a knife that would cut your boat away from something that is sinking and going to drag your boat down. We were dredging and had an 18' aluminum work boat, and we used 3/4" line for most things. Sawing through a large rope with a straight sharp blade is very difficult because the rope grips the side of the blade as you get into the job, unless you can fold it back as you go. Not always possible. I'm not a big brand whore, but I carried a Kershaw with a half serrated blade. The serrations really kicked ass on tough things. Here is what I would suggest, or something similar.
https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1605CKTST...es+kershaw

It's just a cheap knife, made in China with Kershaw's design and name on it. It will cut things like twigs, branches and ropes with ease. the smooth front section will do the more delicate work.

Hi,

+1 on the serrations and lock. Here in the UK we have a lot of ads for hunting knives in the shooting mags. Must be similar over the pond?

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post