Which type of knife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2016, 05:46 AM
RE: Which type of knife?
(11-12-2016 10:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:  For large ropes and twigs I'd go for a serrated, hawkbill blade, maybe a Spyderco folder. You need to let's know what blade length you want too. I have a 3" straight folder as an EDC.

(BTW, I'm not too impressed with some Gerber's apparently not holding their edge well; they seem to vary depending on where they're made.)

I'll second pretty much anything by Spyderco. My favorite brand for knives not of the people poking variety Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys, you gave me good points to watch for. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-12-2016, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2016 09:37 AM by Dom.)
Ok, while I have your attention, how about a lighter to use to thaw frozen snaps and locks , also has to fit in pocket. The usual cig lighters have such short flames and the wind blows them out....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-12-2016, 08:33 AM
And burn your fingers, and melt if you try to run them too long. Somebody will have a specific pocket torch recommendation for you. I am interested as well.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
13-12-2016, 09:23 AM
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/metalw...fgodBhUG6w

I have one of these, bought it at Lowes. I haven't used it to thaw locks, though. I used it to solder bigger automotive wires together. One could thaw things with it, if held back further and/or kept it moving.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-12-2016, 09:37 AM
I have a Kershaw similar to the one in the pic. It is torsion assisted opening so it is really easy to open with one hand. Very sturdy and is a decent size and weight. Not too big for a pocket, not too small to do actual work. There are variations of the same knife with partly serrated blade that would likely be better for your application. Mine also has a large strong side clip. I have had dozens of pocket knives (I'm a collector) and this is by far my favorite knife for functionality and ease of use. Highly recommend this brand.

[Image: 9_419568.jpg]

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
13-12-2016, 09:41 AM
(13-12-2016 09:23 AM)Fireball Wrote:  http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/metalw...fgodBhUG6w

I have one of these, bought it at Lowes. I haven't used it to thaw locks, though. I used it to solder bigger automotive wires together. One could thaw things with it, if held back further and/or kept it moving.

That's probably more than I bargained for - it might melt or fuse things instead of opening them. Then I will have to ask for metal cutters, lol!

13-12-2016, 09:43 AM
Whatever you use, you might have better luck warming the key instead of the lock and using it to transfer the heat. Might have to try a few times.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-12-2016, 09:46 AM
(13-12-2016 09:43 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Whatever you use, you might have better luck warming the key instead of the lock and using it to transfer the heat. Might have to try a few times.

Snaps? I got 3 of those to conquer every morning. Cig lighter doesn't work, and my fingers will but then they get cold enough to hurt.

13-12-2016, 09:53 AM
(13-12-2016 09:46 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 09:43 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Whatever you use, you might have better luck warming the key instead of the lock and using it to transfer the heat. Might have to try a few times.

Snaps? I got 3 of those to conquer every morning. Cig lighter doesn't work, and my fingers will but then they get cold enough to hurt.

This is gonna sound very stereotypically me, but I use a small amount of CLP or other gun oil to prevent them from freezing. Sewing machine oil would probably work too.

'Murican Canadian