Which type of religion do you laugh at the most?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 04:18 AM
RE: Which type of religion do you laugh at the most?
(12-09-2014 04:10 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  ...
unfortunately humans are stuck on this garbage to a political level and that does cause real problems in our species ability to find peace.

Peace?

Isn't that what the afterlife is for?

I'm confused Sad

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2014, 05:21 AM
(11-09-2014 11:41 PM)kim Wrote:  I don't know enough about Scientology so, I'd rather not comment.... although, what I do know is pretty out there ... but what I've heard seems a bit chilling.

I'd have to say the goofiest are the Mormons. The history alone is the stuff of ... well, numerous south park episodes.

Not to mention ...
[Image: Garment.jpg]
... magic underwear. Dodgy

Yep, Mormons FTW- dum,dum,dum,dum,dum!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-09-2014, 05:59 AM
Pretty much all of them. Except when they get nasty - then I stop laughing and get very angry.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2014, 06:03 AM
(12-09-2014 05:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  Pretty much all of them. Except when they get nasty - then I stop laughing and get very angry.

This.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
12-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Back when I was Christian, I used to laugh at Wicca because I (ironically) thought it was foolish. Some things I learned from my friends at college:
  • Everything is composed of the classic Greek elements (plus maybe a fifth one?). Unsurprisingly, spicy things like cinnamon and onions contain "fire".
  • Several people I played D&D with believed they could somehow put energies into their dice, but if anyone else touched them, it would ruin the process. Somehow, this was supposed to make the dice roll higher numbers (can the energies read the numbers on the dice, or is there mind-reading going on here?). I should have called them cheaters and demanded to touch all of their dice, because the purpose of the dice is to provide a fair sampling of the RNG, not to roll high numbers.
  • They could cast real spells, but they never seemed to want to or be able to do anything demonstrable.

I tend to find all religions pretty ridiculous, now. Wicca and Scientology still hold a special place in my hearts because I have a living grandmother who predates both of them. The existence of these religions reminds me that people can start believing in things that were obviously fabricated last week. As annoying as that is to contemplate, I love to bust that fact out when people tell me that the disciples must have been right, because they wouldn't have followed something that isn't true.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
12-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Scientology. It's easier to laugh at something when the grand majority also laughs at it. Most other religions are taken seriously, so I don't laugh at them, they just tick me off.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
12-09-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm more in the "completely dumbfounded" group when it comes to religion.

"You actually believe in WHAT????"

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
12-09-2014, 11:34 AM
(12-09-2014 07:39 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Scientology. It's easier to laugh at something when the grand majority also laughs at it. Most other religions are taken seriously, so I don't laugh at them, they just tick me off.

Yes, Scientology nuts.

However, there's a tribe on an island that worships Prince Philip, the queen's hubby. That's pretty funny.

[Image: prince-philip-movement.jpg]

It true. Really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
12-09-2014, 11:56 AM
[Image: 16bf0cw-2.jpg]

Its hard to take this or any of its derivatives very seriously. But the muslims and jews and hindus, etc. are just as silly.

Quote:However, there's a tribe on an island that worships Prince Philip, the queen's hubby. That's pretty funny.

At least he is real.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
12-09-2014, 02:04 PM
(11-09-2014 11:23 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  How the American government does not see they are a dangerous cult and shut them down, I will never know.
First amendment.

I'm sure there are those out there who say "How the American government does not see atheists are a dangerous cult and shut them down, I will never know."

Sapere aude