Which version of Christianity is the right one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Which version of Christianity is the right one?
It's ok, it was a bunch of unsupported assertions tied together by bible-thumping and self-congratulation.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2014, 03:40 PM
RE: Which version of Christianity is the right one?
(25-02-2014 03:31 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  It's ok, it was a bunch of unsupported assertions tied together by bible-thumping and self-congratulation.

Yeah, I figured...

25-02-2014, 04:49 PM
(25-02-2014 02:26 PM)Drich Wrote:  If say a whole family was burned at the stake for saying the Lord's prayer in english some 1000 years after the point it was first translated into latin, then your next question should be why was it kept in a dead language for so long if not to keep the bible out of the hands of the common man?

Maybe, or maybe because the Latin version was deemed to be inerrant - the same kind of nonsense a lot of modern Christians claim about the KJV.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
25-02-2014, 09:14 PM
(25-02-2014 04:49 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 02:26 PM)Drich Wrote:  If say a whole family was burned at the stake for saying the Lord's prayer in english some 1000 years after the point it was first translated into latin, then your next question should be why was it kept in a dead language for so long if not to keep the bible out of the hands of the common man?

Maybe, or maybe because the Latin version was deemed to be inerrant - the same kind of nonsense a lot of modern Christians claim about the KJV.

It was simply consider blasphemous to speak the holy text in anything but Latin.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
25-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Quote:Whole Families were burned at the stake for reciting the Lord's Prayer in english.

And I'm sure your fucking god smiled as the scent rose to his holy nostrils.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
25-02-2014, 11:24 PM
(25-02-2014 09:14 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 04:49 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Maybe, or maybe because the Latin version was deemed to be inerrant - the same kind of nonsense a lot of modern Christians claim about the KJV.

It was simply consider blasphemous to speak the holy text in anything but Latin.

...which suggests the Latin translation itself had been elevated to sacred status - viewed as divinely guided, much as many modern Christians now view the KJV. If this is the case, then it undermines your claim that the reason the Latin was still used even after it was a dead language, was for control purposes.

(edit for those who may not know, the KJV is a translation of the Vulgate - a translation of a translation, and not a translation from the original Greek and Hebrew)

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
26-02-2014, 12:03 AM
(25-02-2014 09:14 PM)Drich Wrote:  It was simply consider blasphemous to speak the holy text in anything but Latin.

Are you even capable of completing a sentence?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
26-02-2014, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 03:31 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(24-02-2014 07:04 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 03:37 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  No.

You're no representative of "biblical Christianity." You're just spouting your own feel good nonsense. You appear to know nothing of the history.

The bible was written to control people. That'a all there is to it. It's propaganda. Promise the plebs heaven, threaten them with hell, and then tax their income. It's a licence to make money.
incorrect. Few will argue that durning the dark ages 'control' of the world was obtained by suppressing knowledge of the bible. It was translated into a dead language and kept there for well over a 1000 years. It wasn't till the bible was translated and printed in mass did we finally free ourselves from the very control you think the bible brings.

Quote:The reason there are so many denominations is that over the years many people didn't like being controlled by other Christians, so created their own little empires.
.... Because they can not worship under the constrains of others to their fullest. You were almost there.

Quote:You're repeating the pattern with "your" (terribly unoriginal) interpretation, and your patronising, narcissistic attitude..."If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone." You think you're a shining light, yet you're just another thoroughly brainwashed sheep desperate for some recognition.
If this were true then one would think you all would have an easier time dispelling 'my version.' Stop pretending and posturing for a moment and just look at the quality of the responses so far. Personal insult and off topic remarks. These are the hallmarks of people who desperately want to speak out, but are not in a theological position to do so. Presumable because your goto anti Christian doctrine does not cover what I've said here. Which would not be a problem if your all were the thinking atheists you claim to be.. As it is the best collective thoughts on this subject are yours, and they are based off of a common response that was easily defeated against the known history you alluded to.

What else you got?

You write
"These are the hallmarks of people who desperately want to speak out, but are not in a theological position to do so."

You obviously think YOU are in "a theological position" to lecture all us ignorant atheists from your little throne. Yet your claim to fame, as best I can tell, is that you've pored over bits of the bible ad nauseum and think you've made some sense out of it. Big fucking deal. You're no different from all the other mindless morons who for no good reason think the bible has some inherent truth and relevance to it. You think everything you need to know about the bible is in the bible, which is obviously nonsense.

Have you read one book about the history of the bible or Christianity? Do you know who wrote your babble, when, and why? I bet not.

"Presumable because your goto anti Christian doctrine does not cover what I've said here."

"As it is the best collective thoughts on this subject are yours, and they are based off of a common response that was easily defeated against the known history you alluded to."

Is English your second language? Please go back to primary school, learn some spelling and grammar, then come back. Or get a 10 year old to check what you've written before you post it.

"What else you got?"

I've got a whole book debunking your deluded belief system, and its coming your way soon. Its the product of seven years research (unlike you, I like to check out my facts before I make a noise.) And there's not one spelling mistake or grammatical error in it.

PS. Please keep posting (after you've checked your English.) You make everyone else look so good, and remind all readers of all that is the worst in religion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
26-02-2014, 04:49 AM
But quran has only 1 version since 1400 years ago !
26-02-2014, 06:35 AM
(25-02-2014 02:26 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 02:12 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Good lord. English didn't even exist as a language when the Vulgate was penned. Bangin

You are conflating 1000+ years of history as if it all happened simultaneously.
Facepalm
The bible was compiled and translated into the vulgate in or around mid 4th century. Rome fell mid 5th. with in 100 years the language was considered to be dead by most.

And your right when you said the tormented english speakers happened 1000's of years after this orginal translation... Now think on that for a moment...

If say a whole family was burned at the stake for saying the Lord's prayer in english some 1000 years after the point it was first translated into latin, then your next question should be why was it kept in a dead language for so long if not to keep the bible out of the hands of the common man?

Actually, Latin didn't "die". It turned into Italian, French, Spanish, etc from around 500 to 800 and the time of Charlemagne. The invaders of areas brought their native tongues which mixed with Latin and formed what I'd call rather local dialects.
And for religious purposes - Latin continued to be used well until the 1800s and some sects till today. You speak as if Latin vanished in 100 yrs time from the mid 300s to the mid 400s - that's inaccurate.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post