Which version of Christianity is the right one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 06:40 AM
RE: Which version of Christianity is the right one?
(25-02-2014 11:24 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 09:14 PM)Drich Wrote:  It was simply consider blasphemous to speak the holy text in anything but Latin.

...which suggests the Latin translation itself had been elevated to sacred status - viewed as divinely guided, much as many modern Christians now view the KJV. If this is the case, then it undermines your claim that the reason the Latin was still used even after it was a dead language, was for control purposes.

(edit for those who may not know, the KJV is a translation of the Vulgate - a translation of a translation, and not a translation from the original Greek and Hebrew)

Just for grins, Toadaly - what's your opinion of the KJV? Did someone decided to have a field day with wording or what? My money's on 'yes'. 'Yes' they did. lolBig Grin

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 09:58 AM
(26-02-2014 06:40 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Just for grins, Toadaly - what's your opinion of the KJV? Did someone decided to have a field day with wording or what? My money's on 'yes'. 'Yes' they did. lolBig Grin

I don't see it as much different from any other translation. I think they attempted to translate it well, but from a perspective biased to their contemporary views. This is typical.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
26-02-2014, 10:48 AM
(26-02-2014 04:49 AM)tom_reality Wrote:  But quran has only 1 version since 1400 years ago !

Er...no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sana%27a_manuscript

Quote:"So many Muslims have this belief that everything between the two covers of the Qur'an is Allah's unaltered word. They like to quote the textual work that shows that the Bible has a history and did not fall straight out of the sky, but until now the Qur'an has been out of this discussion. The only way to break through this wall is to prove that the Qur'an has a history too. The Sana'a fragments will help us accomplish this."[

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
26-02-2014, 11:40 AM
(25-02-2014 11:24 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 09:14 PM)Drich Wrote:  It was simply consider blasphemous to speak the holy text in anything but Latin.

...which suggests the Latin translation itself had been elevated to sacred status - viewed as divinely guided, much as many modern Christians now view the KJV. If this is the case, then it undermines your claim that the reason the Latin was still used even after it was a dead language, was for control purposes.
Which would be a viable point if one the Latin was the orginal language, and or two the Vulgate wasn't so far removed from the actual Koine text.

We know Latin was used as a means of control because we have copies of book that were read as the Word of God yet not consistant with the orginal Greek Scriptures (Any of them) yet somehow magically were consistant with papal declarations.

The reason the Latin was maintained so long was so they could make changes on the fly and not fear recourse or backlash from the people. This my friend is control. When one makes declarations from a book no one else can read, then everyone is subject to the one doing the reading.

Not to mention learning latin was something the common man had access to. So they kept people in ignorance.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
26-02-2014, 11:50 AM
(26-02-2014 11:40 AM)Drich Wrote:  We know Latin was used as a means of control because we have copies of book that were read as the Word of God yet not consistant with the orginal Greek Scriptures (Any of them) yet somehow magically were consistant with papal declarations.

There are no "original" texts. There are multiple contradictory fragments from the first several centuries CE.

(26-02-2014 11:40 AM)Drich Wrote:  The reason the Latin was maintained so long was so they could make changes on the fly and not fear recourse or backlash from the people.

Citation needed. What changes?

(26-02-2014 11:40 AM)Drich Wrote:  Not to mention learning latin was something the common man had access to. So they kept people in ignorance.

Anyone with a formal education knew Latin. When most people can't read anyway it hardly matters what language a text is in.

And that entire ridiculous chain of thinking is farcically parochial regardless, applying as it does only to parts of north-western Europe for a few centuries.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
26-02-2014, 04:01 PM
(26-02-2014 11:40 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 11:24 PM)toadaly Wrote:  ...which suggests the Latin translation itself had been elevated to sacred status - viewed as divinely guided, much as many modern Christians now view the KJV. If this is the case, then it undermines your claim that the reason the Latin was still used even after it was a dead language, was for control purposes.
Which would be a viable point if one the Latin was the orginal language, and or two the Vulgate wasn't so far removed from the actual Koine text.

We know Latin was used as a means of control because we have copies of book that were read as the Word of God yet not consistant with the orginal Greek Scriptures (Any of them) yet somehow magically were consistant with papal declarations.

The reason the Latin was maintained so long was so they could make changes on the fly and not fear recourse or backlash from the people. This my friend is control. When one makes declarations from a book no one else can read, then everyone is subject to the one doing the reading.

Not to mention learning latin was something the common man had access to. So they kept people in ignorance.

Re
"The reason the Latin was maintained so long was so they could make changes on the fly and not fear recourse or backlash from the people. This my friend is control. When one makes declarations from a book no one else can read, then everyone is subject to the one doing the reading."

Have you got evidence that the Latin wording of the Vulgate was changed? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I too would like a link to learn about this.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
26-02-2014, 05:25 PM
(26-02-2014 11:40 AM)Drich Wrote:  Which would be a viable point if one the Latin was the orginal language, and or two the Vulgate wasn't so far removed from the actual Koine text.

Latin was the common language at the time the Vulgate was written. That's *why* it was translated into Latin.

Quote:We know Latin was used as a means of control because we have copies of book that were read as the Word of God yet not consistant with the orginal Greek Scriptures (Any of them) yet somehow magically were consistant with papal declarations.

Considering that the New Testament as such, didn't even exist until the 4th century, and the Latin translation came a fairly short time afterward, it's hard to see why they would have assigned the same importance to the Greek as you are assigning it.

Quote:The reason the Latin was maintained so long was so they could make changes on the fly and not fear recourse or backlash from the people. This my friend is control. When one makes declarations from a book no one else can read, then everyone is subject to the one doing the reading.

You're way overplaying the idea that only the church could read Latin. Everyone who was educated could read it. They were still teaching Latin in US primary schools up until about 1960 or so. It was a dead language in the sense that no-one was speaking it, but everyone who was literate could read it.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
26-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Mine.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-02-2014, 08:22 PM
(26-02-2014 11:40 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 11:24 PM)toadaly Wrote:  ...which suggests the Latin translation itself had been elevated to sacred status - viewed as divinely guided, much as many modern Christians now view the KJV. If this is the case, then it undermines your claim that the reason the Latin was still used even after it was a dead language, was for control purposes.

I love how this asshole just makes shit up and it becomes his "truth". Hobo

Pathological liar much?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
26-02-2014, 08:37 PM
(26-02-2014 11:40 AM)Drich Wrote:  blah blah blah...not consistant with the orginal Greek Scriptures (Any of them) blah blah blah...

Yes, the "original" Greek -- because we all know that this Jeebus character spoke Greek.

Shocking

Oh, wait...

Facepalm

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post