Which version of Christianity is the right one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 03:47 PM
RE: Which version of Christianity is the right one?
(27-02-2014 03:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  can't get my reply to work

check your quotes

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2014 04:07 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(26-02-2014 11:17 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 05:25 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Latin was the common language at the time the Vulgate was written. That's *why* it was translated into Latin.
ah, I see your problem now..

Latin was the common language of Rome at the time. When the bible was compiled the common language of the regions it was pulled from was Greek. This again was a power grab. By putting Latin bibles in formally Greek churches it took the word of God out of the common man's hands and placed it in the hands of a guy who answered to the guy in Rome who want supream power.

Quote:Considering that the New Testament as such, didn't even exist until the 4th century, and the Latin translation came a fairly short time afterward, it's hard to see why they would have assigned the same importance to the Greek as you are assigning it.
...because the Latin was translated for the Greek...

All of the letters that make up the NT were originally written in the Greek. Minus one or two.
The Greek texts were the orgins of the NT. Mid third century there was a call from Rome to compile all the writtings of the apstoles into one book, so the took Everything secular and religious and went through it. The put the stuff they could verify and had provenance on secular or religious in one book, but in the Latin not the orginal Greek. What is worst they did not give the orginal manuscripts back the buried them in a library under the church the build in Rome. In a library restricted to everyone except the highest ranking officials...

Quote:You're way overplaying the idea that only the church could read Latin. Everyone who was educated could read it. They were still teaching Latin in US primary schools up until about 1960 or so. It was a dead language in the sense that no-one was speaking it, but everyone who was literate could read it.
Dude, before you speak, google it. You sound like my father talking about some Nigerian prince who wants to give him a trillion dollars if he first send the price 200k for some transfer fee.

First century literacy rates durning that time period varied between 5-30% depending on how loosely you wanted to defined the term literacy. Full literacy was extremely uncommon. At the time we are speaking about the literacy rate plummeted because the empire was in shambles and was about to fall. This was know as the crisis of the 3rd century and while the church fathers could read and write very few outside high ranking governmental officials could. Durning this time even the Christians were banned from teaching people to read because the emperor Julian feared that the church fathers would inspire a uprising.

So no. you are 'Toadly' wrong here. Get it?Laugh out load

If I was 1/2 the ass you/some of your peers are I would gloat.

I will say next time just do your due diligence. It's fine to tell your friends drich doesn't know what he is talking about. I won't stop you. Just know when you bring crap like this to a discussion that

Re
"Mid third century there was a call from Rome to compile all the writtings of the apstoles into one book, so the took Everything secular and religious and went through it. The put the stuff they could verify and had provenance on secular or religious in one book, but in the Latin not the orginal Greek. What is worst they did not give the orginal manuscripts back the buried them in a library under the church the build in Rome. In a library restricted to everyone except the highest ranking officials..."

Bullshit.
Who are "the(y)?"
Nothing was "verified"
What "original manuscripts?"
What "library?"
What "highest ranking officials?"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2014, 04:09 PM
(27-02-2014 03:47 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 03:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  can't get my reply to work

check your quotes

Done. I've never been able to get the quote thing to work. Doesn't matter.
27-02-2014, 04:20 PM
(27-02-2014 04:09 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 03:47 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  check your quotes

Done. I've never been able to get the quote thing to work. Doesn't matter.

You missed closing 1 set of quotes. I fixed it for you. Smile

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
27-02-2014, 09:14 PM
(26-02-2014 10:04 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 08:37 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes, the "original" Greek -- because we all know that this Jeebus character spoke Greek.

Shocking

Oh, wait...
Rolleyes
Google it and the one above. You would think you'd at least do that before you made such a statement like this one that leaves you completely open to very harsh criticism. If I were so inclined.

Um, fucking idiot, what part of the whole fucking OT is the Jewish/Hebrew Torah and that according to the fables the Jeebus character supposedly spoke something OTHER THAN FUCKING GREEK do you fail to understand?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
27-02-2014, 09:31 PM
(27-02-2014 04:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 11:17 PM)Drich Wrote:  ah, I see your problem now..

Latin was the common language of Rome at the time. When the bible was compiled the common language of the regions it was pulled from was Greek. This again was a power grab. By putting Latin bibles in formally Greek churches it took the word of God out of the common man's hands and placed it in the hands of a guy who answered to the guy in Rome who want supream power.

All of the letters that make up the NT were originally written in the Greek. Minus one or two.
The Greek texts were the orgins of the NT. Mid third century there was a call from Rome to compile all the writtings of the apstoles into one book, so the took Everything secular and religious and went through it. The put the stuff they could verify and had provenance on secular or religious in one book, but in the Latin not the orginal Greek. What is worst they did not give the orginal manuscripts back the buried them in a library under the church the build in Rome. In a library restricted to everyone except the highest ranking officials...

Dude, before you speak, google it. You sound like my father talking about some Nigerian prince who wants to give him a trillion dollars if he first send the price 200k for some transfer fee.

First century literacy rates durning that time period varied between 5-30% depending on how loosely you wanted to defined the term literacy. Full literacy was extremely uncommon. At the time we are speaking about the literacy rate plummeted because the empire was in shambles and was about to fall. This was know as the crisis of the 3rd century and while the church fathers could read and write very few outside high ranking governmental officials could. Durning this time even the Christians were banned from teaching people to read because the emperor Julian feared that the church fathers would inspire a uprising.

I will say next time just do your due diligence. It's fine to tell your friends drich doesn't know what he is talking about. I won't stop you. Just know when you bring crap like this to a discussion that

Re
"Mid third century there was a call from Rome to compile all the writtings of the apstoles into one book, so the took Everything secular and religious and went through it. The put the stuff they could verify and had provenance on secular or religious in one book, but in the Latin not the orginal Greek. What is worst they did not give the orginal manuscripts back the buried them in a library under the church the build in Rome. In a library restricted to everyone except the highest ranking officials..."

Bullshit.
Who are "the(y)?"
Nothing was "verified"
What "library?"

How the fuck could you even decipher that unintelligible, incoherent bullshit? Hobo You are AMAZING! Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
27-02-2014, 09:48 PM
(27-02-2014 09:31 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 04:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Re

Bullshit.
Who are "the(y)?"
Nothing was "verified"
What "library?"

How the fuck could you even decipher that unintelligible, incoherent bullshit? Hobo You are AMAZING! Thumbsup

I've got no idea where he gets his ideas from (apart from one link to wikipedia.) I'm also not sure if English is his second language or not. Can't wait to read what comes up next.
27-02-2014, 10:10 PM
(27-02-2014 03:36 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

Quote:You're way overplaying the idea that only the church could read Latin. Everyone who was educated could read it. They were still teaching Latin in US primary schools up until about 1960 or so. It was a dead language in the sense that no-one was speaking it, but everyone who was literate could read it.

Re
"Mid third century there was a call from Rome to compile all the writtings of the apstoles into one book, so the took Everything secular and religious and went through it. The put the stuff they could verify and had provenance on secular or religious in one book, but in the Latin not the orginal Greek. What is worst they did not give the orginal manuscripts back the buried them in a library under the church the build in Rome. In a library restricted to everyone except the highest ranking officials... "

No wonder TM is face palming!

Apart from the poor grammar, which makes it almost illegible, its simply not true. What "stuff the(y) could verify?"
What "one book?"
Who are "the(y)?"
Who told you "they did not give the orginal manuscripts back the buried them in a library under the church the build in Rome. In a library restricted to everyone except the highest ranking officials... ? " Please cite your sources.
your coming in mid Argument, in a discussion that was not indented for you. All your questions have already been discussed. You should have the curtesy to read what has already been discussed, before demanding that I personally catch you up.

The only thing I have not done is provide resources:
http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefa...-Bible.htm

http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-englis...e-history/

http://amazingbibletimeline.com/bible_qu...ish_bible/

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
27-02-2014, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2014 10:32 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(27-02-2014 10:10 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 03:36 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  All of the letters that make up the NT were originally written in the Greek. Minus one or two.

Re
"Mid third century there was a call from Rome to compile all the writtings of the apstoles into one book, so the took Everything secular and religious and went through it. The put the stuff they could verify and had provenance on secular or religious in one book, but in the Latin not the orginal Greek. What is worst they did not give the orginal manuscripts back the buried them in a library under the church the build in Rome. In a library restricted to everyone except the highest ranking officials... "

No wonder TM is face palming!

Apart from the poor grammar, which makes it almost illegible, its simply not true. What "stuff the(y) could verify?"
What "one book?"
Who are "the(y)?"
Who told you "they did not give the orginal manuscripts back the buried them in a library under the church the build in Rome. In a library restricted to everyone except the highest ranking officials... ? " Please cite your sources.
your coming in mid Argument, in a discussion that was not indented for you. All your questions have already been discussed. You should have the curtesy to read what has already been discussed, before demanding that I personally catch you up.

The only thing I have not done is provide resources:
http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefa...-Bible.htm

http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-englis...e-history/

http://amazingbibletimeline.com/bible_qu...ish_bible/

And the fucking moron will simply TRY to pretend that I didn't respond to his idiotic reply at all.

Typical D-Wreck disingenuous idiotic apologetic xtard bullshit.

27-02-2014, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2014 10:33 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-02-2014 04:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

Re

Bullshit.
Who are "the(y)?"
Nothing was "verified"
What "library?"

The officials at the *libary* where they kept the *writtings of the apstoles*.
You know ... the apstoles. (I think you download those "apps".)

This Drivel dude is so moronic, he's not even a troll. Maybe a squeek-troll, or a mouse-troll ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post