Which version of Christianity is the right one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 10:24 PM
RE: Which version of Christianity is the right one?
(24-02-2014 07:23 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Since Drippy keeps asking if anyone would like to pose questions to him, I will try....

[several hours later]

Okay, I have been trying very hard to find questions that he would reasonably be able to answer when considering his performance so far on this forum. Here is what I have come up with....errrm...

[Image: Tumbleweeds2.gif]

To get to the other side.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like toadaly's post
25-02-2014, 04:17 AM
Drich Wrote:Then it should be easy for you to show me a an instance where logic and reason was employed but completely ignored.

Yeah. Examples are everywhere.
For my part I asked you:

Kestrel Wrote:Since you're familiar with using a concordance / lexicon, as you've advised others to do, then you know that the word "hell" is a translator fabricated device.
In the KJV it is used roughly 54 times, each time translated from words that already have their own specific meaning. Denoting places, and/or states of mind.
Those words being, Hades, Sheole, gehenna.

How do you reconcile the abandonment of these original words, for a word that conveys an entirely different idea?

Instead of answering you talk about California.

As far as this thread, as many people demonstrably far more astute than you, have pointed out, there is no "right" christian denomination.

You and your countless ilk are far to busy being christians but spend no time being believers.

Here are your words, little Pharisee in training:

Drich Wrote:Actual I'm not much on faith. My belief is based on evidence God has given me.

THAT’S your problem right there. One of ’em anyway.

The difference between me and thee, is that I embrace faith and what it means.
You and all those like you, keep a foot planted in both places when it comes to what you claim. One side of your mouths speak of faith and the other of evidence. Your useless egos won't let you think any other way.

You are neither hot nor cold:

  "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.
So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth..."

Rev 3:15
Pass the barf-bag

You are neither believer or nonbeliever.

As I recently posted to some catholic member, the ones weeping and gnashing their teeth, will not be the nonbelievers who expect nothing after they die. Nor will it be me, who is fully embracing the belief.
It will be you and all others who share your two-faced mindset. You're prisoners of your own egos expectations.

Then there's this:
Drich Wrote:WFT are you talking about? I do not preach faith. I teach belief through evidence.

Your foolishness knows no bounds. The last book in the Bible we share is called, Revelation. Yet that isn't enough for your tiny ego to accept that god is hidden and will provide no evidence for his existence until he's good and ready. So you spend your time arguing against faith and god.

How's that working out for you, tiny goat?

Drich Wrote:On a side note I do want to thank you for holding up a mirror long enough to see my own short commings. It is becuse of your arrogance i will strive with all that is in me to change. I love the lost here looking for answers, but if they see me as I see you they will never know the difference between what you do here and what I am trying to do here.

People know the difference. I'm not here to do anything. There is nothing to be "done". I don't stroll around bringing condemnation.
You do.

I hear what the nonbeliever has to say.
You don't.

I'll take one good nonbeliever over a stadium full of you christians any day of the week.
That’s why I'm here.
Former believers are also far better for abandoning the shit you swallow. For they know shit when it's being fed to them.

So again:
Drich Wrote:...It is becuse of your arrogance i will strive with all that is in me to change.

And again, how's that working out for you?
Strive harder, little goat.

Source for all quotes not in this thread.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 7 users Like Kestrel's post
25-02-2014, 08:35 AM
(24-02-2014 12:28 PM)natachan Wrote:  Wait, wut?

Nothing on Augustus?

:|

I have a book with stuff written BY Augustus. Not to mention stacks of Cicero and Horace.
Actually you don't. You have a book attributed to Augustus because it was written in the first person, but there is a postumus adendum that is included that the great ceasar could not have written, lest you believe the body of the text and he had powers beyond the scope of normal men...
What you have is a propaganda piece, and as such it would be subject to emblishment and general bull hockeyness, not any serious or discernable history.

Not to mention not one complete copy exists. One 'almost complete' copy does. Historeans have pieced what they think together which they attribute to Augustus.

So again. 5600 biblical manuscripts verses one 'almost complete' copy of augustus' propaganda piece.. So tell me again about how this trumps Christ or how this is in anyway close to what we have on Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_Gestae_Divi_Augusti

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
25-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Drich

My minor is in classical archeology. When I say that we have works by Octavian, we have works by Octavian. We also have works regarding him by his uncle, Julius ceaser. We have stacks of work regarding him by Cicero. I can pull out works about him by Horace.

Your Jesus has no contemporary sources. The earliest you get is one mention by Josephus who was not objective. To be fair there are no objective sources at the time though.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
25-02-2014, 08:55 AM
(25-02-2014 04:17 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  
Drich Wrote:Then it should be easy for you to show me a an instance where logic and reason was employed but completely ignored.

Yeah. Examples are everywhere.
For my part I asked you:

Kestrel Wrote:Since you're familiar with using a concordance / lexicon, as you've advised others to do, then you know that the word "hell" is a translator fabricated device.
In the KJV it is used roughly 54 times, each time translated from words that already have their own specific meaning. Denoting places, and/or states of mind.
Those words being, Hades, Sheole, gehenna.

How do you reconcile the abandonment of these original words, for a word that conveys an entirely different idea?

Instead of answering you talk about California.

As far as this thread, as many people demonstrably far more astute than you, have pointed out, there is no "right" christian denomination.

You and your countless ilk are far to busy being christians but spend no time being believers.

Here are your words, little Pharisee in training:

Drich Wrote:Actual I'm not much on faith. My belief is based on evidence God has given me.

THAT’S your problem right there. One of ’em anyway.

The difference between me and thee, is that I embrace faith and what it means.
You and all those like you, keep a foot planted in both places when it comes to what you claim. One side of your mouths speak of faith and the other of evidence. Your useless egos won't let you think any other way.

You are neither hot nor cold:

  "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.
So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth..."

Rev 3:15
Pass the barf-bag

You are neither believer or nonbeliever.

As I recently posted to some catholic member, the ones weeping and gnashing their teeth, will not be the nonbelievers who expect nothing after they die. Nor will it be me, who is fully embracing the belief.
It will be you and all others who share your two-faced mindset. You're prisoners of your own egos expectations.

Then there's this:
Drich Wrote:WFT are you talking about? I do not preach faith. I teach belief through evidence.

Your foolishness knows no bounds. The last book in the Bible we share is called, Revelation. Yet that isn't enough for your tiny ego to accept that god is hidden and will provide no evidence for his existence until he's good and ready. So you spend your time arguing against faith and god.

How's that working out for you, tiny goat?

Drich Wrote:On a side note I do want to thank you for holding up a mirror long enough to see my own short commings. It is becuse of your arrogance i will strive with all that is in me to change. I love the lost here looking for answers, but if they see me as I see you they will never know the difference between what you do here and what I am trying to do here.

People know the difference. I'm not here to do anything. There is nothing to be "done". I don't stroll around bringing condemnation.
You do.

I hear what the nonbeliever has to say.
You don't.

I'll take one good nonbeliever over a stadium full of you christians any day of the week.
That’s why I'm here.
Former believers are also far better for abandoning the shit you swallow. For they know shit when it's being fed to them.

So again:
Drich Wrote:...It is becuse of your arrogance i will strive with all that is in me to change.

And again, how's that working out for you?
Strive harder, little goat.

Source for all quotes not in this thread.

[Image: Best-of-the-Day-191x200.png]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
25-02-2014, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2014 09:06 AM by cjlr.)
(25-02-2014 08:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  Actually you don't. You have a book attributed to Augustus because it was written in the first person, but there is a postumus adendum that is included that the great ceasar could not have written, lest you believe the body of the text and he had powers beyond the scope of normal men...
What you have is a propaganda piece, and as such it would be subject to emblishment and general bull hockeyness, not any serious or discernable history.

It's cute that you're trying.

But, no, friendo, there are dozens of historical works by multiple independent ancient authors mentioning the man, and they date from his early life (Cicero) through to his death and beyond (Tacitus, Suetonius). All of which are better and more reliable sources than the Gospels (which, need I remind you, include fucking zombies).

(25-02-2014 08:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  Not to mention not one complete copy exists. One 'almost complete' copy does. Historeans have pieced what they think together which they attribute to Augustus.

Except that the number of copies has nothing to do with the actual historical reliability of an ancient source.

For someone who just invented an idiotic comparison about Wikipedia article length, you're making what is essentially just as bad an argument as your own straw man. Congratulations?

(25-02-2014 08:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  So again. 5600 biblical manuscripts verses one 'almost complete' copy of augustus' propaganda piece.. So tell me again about how this trumps Christ or how this is in anyway close to what we have on Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_Gestae_Divi_Augusti

It's adorably facetious that you have chosen one text to consider. Since there are many, many more in evidence.

Not to mention the many family members of his for whom there is also extensive documentation. Or maybe the Julio-Claudian dynasty just emerged from the aether one fine day in 15 CE, I guess that's a possibility.

Or, not to mention the thousands of coins which conveniently have his name and face stamped right on them.

I reiterate my dilemma: you are either profoundly stupid or pathetically dishonest. Which is it?

BONUS:
Gonna address this any time soon, there, champ?
(24-02-2014 12:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 11:02 AM)Drich Wrote:  The too funny part is your expressed desire to remain in a perpetual state of ignorance so you do not have to 'think' for yourself.

Are you referring to me specifically? If so, I dispute the ludicrous accusation and challenge you to demonstrate any such thing.

Are you referring to those here in general? If so, I dispute the ludicrous accusation, and challenge you to demonstrate any such thing.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
25-02-2014, 09:04 AM
(25-02-2014 04:17 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  People know the difference. I'm not here to do anything. There is nothing to be "done". I don't stroll around bringing condemnation.

Yes, but that's because you are a decent person, who, much like KC, recognizes that faith is a matter of personal subjective experience, and you have as much problem with most apologist and literalist shell games as would any sane person.

Thumbsup

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
25-02-2014, 09:38 AM
(25-02-2014 08:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  Actually you don't. You have a book attributed to Augustus because it was written in the first person, but there is a postumus adendum that is included that the great ceasar could not have written, lest you believe the body of the text and he had powers beyond the scope of normal men...

Of course it was a propaganda piece. Everything written in ancient times was propaganda, except for a few works written for entertainment, and even those generally had generous doses of propaganda embedded.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
25-02-2014, 10:01 AM
(25-02-2014 09:38 AM)toadaly Wrote:  

Of course it was a propaganda piece. Everything written in ancient times was propaganda, except for a few works written for entertainment, and even those generally had generous doses of propaganda embedded.

Just like DreckSack's fairy tale book.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
25-02-2014, 10:03 AM
(25-02-2014 09:01 AM)cjlr Wrote:  But, no, friendo, there are dozens of historical works by multiple independent ancient authors mentioning the man, and they date from his early life (Cicero) through to his death and beyond (Tacitus, Suetonius). All of which are better and more reliable sources than the Gospels (which, need I remind you, include fucking zombies).

You have just won comment of the day.

I think Drivel likes getting knocked out over and over again. Why else would he continue to subject himself to such beatings?

[Image: javier-bardem-en-no-country-for-old-men1.jpg]

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post