While the US is fighting over the debt, China is planning to go to the moon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2012, 09:31 AM
RE: While the US is fighting over the debt, China is planning to go to the moon
It has the second biggest economy (3rd if you count the EU as one economy), it has the largest population (by far, well... by western standards by far), it has growth (even though it has slowed), it builds huge ass things like that big damn of theirs. I don't think there is any doubt in people's minds that it is a super power.
Though like you say, it's perception. They want to appear powerful, I mean just look at the last olympics.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2012, 09:41 AM
(05-07-2012 09:31 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It has the second biggest economy (3rd if you count the EU as one economy), it has the largest population (by far, well... by western standards by far), it has growth (even though it has slowed), it builds huge ass things like that big damn of theirs. I don't think there is any doubt in people's minds that it is a super power.
Though like you say, it's perception. They want to appear powerful, I mean just look at the last olympics.

I suppose it's probably a little like that, but I think it's a good idea to go to the moon. Someone really should do it, might as well be China. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-07-2012, 09:49 AM
It's a waste of money.
Nothing more then a needless show to the world that they can do it. I am sure nobody doubts that they can do it, hell they should be able to do it's been what 40years? since the US did it?

I wonder what their design is, I haven't read into this. Is it a shuttle or a rocket? Rockets are just such a better design then the shuttle.

I did hear though that they just put some people onto the international space station (which nobody rallied behind and created utopian paradise on earth by the way filox even though it being a "international" project). They kept bringing up the one female astronaut. No doubt that was done for propaganda reasons. "See, we're not sexist".

I wonder though, even though I'm against it I know it's gonna happen so i might as well go with it, if China does put a man/women/"african american"/tibetian/whatever PC person they choose, on the moon, does that mean there is effectively gonna be another space race but for Mars?
I wonder if that's what the Chinese are hoping for, to be first on Mars. Shit, that'd be a twist in the story wouldn't it, a western power not being the first at a major achievement for the first time.

05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
(05-07-2012 09:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's a waste of money.
Nothing more then a needless show to the world that they can do it. I am sure nobody doubts that they can do it, hell they should be able to do it's been what 40years? since the US did it?

I wonder what their design is, I haven't read into this. Is it a shuttle or a rocket? Rockets are just such a better design then the shuttle.

I did hear though that they just put some people onto the international space station (which nobody rallied behind and created utopian paradise on earth by the way filox even though it being a "international" project). They kept bringing up the one female astronaut. No doubt that was done for propaganda reasons. "See, we're not sexist".

I wonder though, even though I'm against it I know it's gonna happen so i might as well go with it, if China does put a man/women/"african american"/tibetian/whatever PC person they choose, on the moon, does that mean there is effectively gonna be another space race but for Mars?
I wonder if that's what the Chinese are hoping for, to be first on Mars. Shit, that'd be a twist in the story wouldn't it, a western power not being the first at a major achievement for the first time.

Uh, you clearly have some other kind of shit on your mind. Since when is every thing a dick fight? Dodgy

I was referring to the over all possibilities a moon shot provides. It's a good idea to have scientists try stuff and keep improving the technology to get up there. If we can get there, maybe we can do other shit. Shy

Not only do Moon shots provide good technology refinement, they also bring back stuff we can only get on the Moon. Like helium-3.

You are aware, that our earth is projected to run out of the helium sources on this planet in the year 2035, right? Let's see... you'll be in your mid 40 at that time... oops, hope you aren't going to need an MRI. No helium, no MRI; it's what they use to cool the machines down. It's also what they use to cool down supercolliders.

Since it's differing properties consist of 2 protons and only 1 neutron, helium-3 is proposed as a second-generation fusion fuel for fusion power uses, but such systems are still in very early experimental development phases. It might be nice to develop a relatively abundant fuel source for our planet that won't further fuck up the atmosphere.

Of course, helium-3 is just one of the things we can get from the run of the mill Moon shot... just saying that some people don't consider some things a waste of money.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 7 users Like kim's post
05-07-2012, 10:40 AM
The US shouldn't have stopped going into space. On top of the technological advances and practical arguments there is a lot to said for just obtaining the knowledge. If I had my way 10% of the total defense budget would go to NASA.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 4 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
06-07-2012, 07:36 PM
(05-07-2012 10:17 AM)kim Wrote:  
(05-07-2012 09:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's a waste of money.

Uh, you clearly have some other kind of shit on your mind. Since when is every thing a dick fight? Dodgy

I was referring to the over all possibilities a moon shot provides. It's a good idea to have scientists try stuff and keep improving the technology to get up there. If we can get there, maybe we can do other shit. Shy

Not only do Moon shots provide good technology refinement, they also bring back stuff we can only get on the Moon. Like helium-3.

You are aware, that our earth is projected to run out of the helium sources on this planet in the year 2035, right? Let's see... you'll be in your mid 40 at that time... oops, hope you aren't going to need an MRI. No helium, no MRI; it's what they use to cool the machines down. It's also what they use to cool down supercolliders.

Since it's differing properties consist of 2 protons and only 1 neutron, helium-3 is proposed as a second-generation fusion fuel for fusion power uses, but such systems are still in very early experimental development phases. It might be nice to develop a relatively abundant fuel source for our planet that won't further fuck up the atmosphere.

Of course, helium-3 is just one of the things we can get from the run of the mill Moon shot... just saying that some people don't consider some things a waste of money.
Used to cool down stuff huh, so a job that isn't limited solely to helium? As in something else could do the same job, while probably less efficient, like you say, 2035.

And yea reading that helium 3 article that is actually very interesting.
I agree that would make going to the moon viable (because it makes money, which is what I was arguing that information that we could obtain through our limited space travel (Moon, Mars Asteroid) isn't worth the cost).
Its nice to read an actual viable reason for going to the moon for once.
This still relies on whether we can get the fusion technology up to scratch. Then you still have the problem that you have to build these (expensive) power plants everywhere, and then you have to get up to the moon and mine this stuff and then heat it to extract it, and then assuming enough of it is there, get it back and use it.
So yeah while it is an option, it still sounds like a very costly process. At least with Solar/Wind/Sea Current etc.. there is no expensive running costs like flying to the moon and back. I'm still banking on renewable energy to be the way to get power prices next to nothing.

07-07-2012, 03:00 AM
When the wealth and power of nations is determined not by the exploitation of resources on Earth but of resources elsewhere in our solar system, China will be ready.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-07-2012, 11:51 AM
(07-07-2012 03:00 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  When the wealth and power of nations is determined not by the exploitation of resources on Earth but of resources elsewhere in our solar system, China will be ready.
Helium 3 hardly will dictate a countries wealth and power.

07-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Let me just read that back to you earmuffs:
"There is not and never will be any resource that is rare on earth and plentiful in the rest of the solar system that will enrich the citizens of earth or increase their military might".

You might be right, but to assume as such seems... short sighted.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-07-2012, 03:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 03:23 AM by Superluminal.)
Tried to delete this but wouldn't let me. Post moved to the next page.