While the US is fighting over the debt, China is planning to go to the moon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2012, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 06:55 AM by earmuffs.)
RE: While the US is fighting over the debt, China is planning to go to the moon
(07-07-2012 06:01 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Let me just read that back to you earmuffs:
"There is not and never will be any resource that is rare on earth and plentiful in the rest of the solar system that will enrich the citizens of earth or increase their military might".

You might be right, but to assume as such seems... short sighted.
We're talking about Helium here, not the next weapon of mass destruction.
The article said 25tons will power all of the US for a year, meaning you only need a small amount. And the moon is covered in this shit?
Sure maybe only the US, Russia, China and maybe EU if they wanted, could get up there and mine this shit (At the moment, and I'[m sure some corporations have the means if they so desired). But you still gotta remember this is the energy market, you're still competing against renewable energy (which you don't need to fly to the moon, mine the material and fly back), fossil fuels and nuclear.

What is to stop China completely flooding the market like they do with a lot of other things?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2012, 06:58 AM
I said nothing of helium, but if helium-3 does turn out to be valuable its value will be in energy generation. Is any part of a modern economy more integral to its might and productivity than energy generation?
More generally, various materials required for advanced technology might be more plentiful or accessible in space within the next hundred years.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
08-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Well, I posted this before, but it applies again in this thread. I don't
even really care if NASA wastes some money now and again, or screws up.
The total amount of money we have spent on NASA over it's entire
existence is about $480 billion. We have made that money back and then
some in our economy from GPS technology alone, which will contribute
directly somewhere between $55-60 billion this year alone to the U.S.
economy, without even counting the related industries. That is just ONE
technology, and there are many more we make money from that came from
NASA.

Space exploration, of any type, has always been profitable to the U.S. economy. End of story. The numbers are easy to look up.
[+] 2 users Like Superluminal's post
08-07-2012, 12:04 PM
(08-07-2012 10:22 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  That is just ONE technology, and there are many more we make money from that came from
NASA.
Space exploration, of any type, has always been profitable to the U.S. economy. End of story. The numbers are easy to look up.

Thank you Superluminal! I originally ended my post with: " Helium is just one of the things we can get from the run of the mill Moon shot." You very succinctly and eloquently restated my original point!

And Hafnof -Thank you - "short sighted" - that is the word I was looking for! I kept trying to say not visionary... or un-insightful... or lacking forethought.

Now I'll know who to look to for words when I my own brain is at a loss!! Thumbsup

Muff-Muff ... I love you; but in my opinion you seem so caught up with money and your short sighted view of it, that it distracts you from what may very well be the bigger picture. Come on darling; you got it all going on - just widen your horizons a bit. The view is waaay more expansive than you are letting it get.

I know you know the word diversify; diversify your mind. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
08-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I am truly excited for the recent privatization of the space industry in the U.S. Not only will it open up more job opportunities and motivate competition between companies, but it will, perhaps, rekindle the U.S's old interest in space. This new Chinese competitor may also light the much needed fire under American asses. Let's not forget the reason the U.S entered the space race back in the 50s and 60s, eh?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
10-07-2012, 03:15 AM
I think sending a person to mars is just as dumb as sending a person to the moon. Sending a rover is ok cos you don't need to carry life support, rations and fuel for the return trip. Mars has a fair gravity well so imagine carrying all the fuel needed to get you back to earth not to mention the fuel needed to get you there and land safely... It's nuts..

Instead of this we should be focusing on asteroid mining. That is far more practical and probably economically viable in the short term. Mining a large asteroid would provide a rich source of water ice for replenishing water, fuel and oxygen.

The sun provides light 24/7 so makes an ideal heat source for smelting. To get started a simple fold-out parabolic reflector could be used - made of aluminium foil.. with some light structural support to maintain the reflectors shape.

With the plentiful heat and water some kind of turbine could be used to generate electricity - no need for solar cells if you already have the parabolic reflector. Space is cold so the temperature difference could be exploited.

The asteroids could serve as homes and radiation shelters for the mining crew. There is no gravity to worry about so once you are free from earth - going places shouldn't be a problem!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
27-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.