White Genocide is happening. ADMIT IT.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2014, 03:15 AM
RE: White Genocide is happening. ADMIT IT.
(24-05-2014 02:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  Where is it written that by addressing a troll I become part of the problem old bean? And by what process does it then follow that I forfeit the right to complain? You're bein' a bit daft here IMO... mind you, I remember full well how fuckin' horrible it was being a mod myself so ja... no worries. But regardless of if I have a right to or not, I surely am gonna bitch and complain if I take a notion to do the same Big Grin
All right, let me try to make it clearer by using an analogy.

For example, imagine seeing a news report about a convicted criminal, say, a bank robber, who escaped from prison today. When you go for a walk in the park a couple hours later, you encounter this criminal and have several choices:

You can

A. enable his crimes by offering him shelter (responding to him),
B. call the police (send a complaint to the forum staff) and/or
C. pretend that you didn't see him (ignore him).

Now, it would seem to me that by choosing option A., you lose every right to complain about bank robbers in the future because you enabled the crimes of one of them in the past. If you were to do it nonetheless, it would make you a hypocrite. Those of us who respond to trolls are the primary, perhaps even the only reason why they're still here, by definition. It makes no sense to complain about a person whose purpose is to cause disruption and argument while at the same time actively encouraging said behavior. If everyone stopped responding to trolls, they would be unable to cause disruption and argument because they would be having a monologue.

How long do you suppose trolls would bother to come here if every one of their threads vanished into obscurity only hours after being posted because they didn't get a single response? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
24-05-2014, 03:15 AM
http://youtu.be/vpaQ-6mJpzk

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
24-05-2014, 03:28 AM
(24-05-2014 03:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  For example, imagine seeing a news report about a convicted criminal, say, a bank robber, who escaped from prison today. When you go for a walk in the park a couple hours later, you encounter this criminal and have several choices:

You can

For a start I don't think your analogy fits very well. These are people who're actively mugging people, rather than just encountering innocent civilians is a peaceful way that makes the said civilian want to give them a hot cup of coffee. You're saying that by mugging them back I lose the right to complain about muggers, as I see it.

These chaps have had the cops called on them, and the response of the cops is "oh, just let him wander around, he's a criminal but if you don't offer him shelter then he'll wander off eventually".

ETA: And this is why I think it's a lousy analogy anyway. I think you mods do a decent job. And I don't see any reason to ban the trolls. But I'm very happy to a. argue with trolls and b. complain about trolls. So people who tell me to choose one or the other... I make eyes like this: Dodgy Rolleyes

Quote: Those of us who respond to trolls are the primary, perhaps even the only reason why they're still here, by definition. It makes no sense to complain about a person whose purpose is to cause disruption and argument while at the same time actively encouraging said behavior. If everyone stopped responding to trolls, they would be unable to cause disruption and argument because they would be having a monologue.
You equate answering with encouragement? Even if the answer is "fuck off troll, you're not wanted"? Rolleyes They post provocative shit, and they disguise themselves as sincere. Since it's impossible to classify them from the outset as trolls, and since they're camoflaging themselves, it's impossible to apply this theoretically brilliant strategy in practice. Unless you just choose not to talk to anyone, in that case, I will concede, you won't encourage trolls.

Quote:How long do you suppose trolls would bother to come here if every one of their threads vanished into obscurity only hours after being posted because they didn't get a single response? Consider[/align]
By the same reasoning, why not ban them? Then I don't have to exercise my singularly lacking self-restraint. I am not advocating banning them, by the way, but I don't see why it's suddenly me letting the side down if I answer them.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-05-2014, 03:36 AM
This guy has 3 stupid threads where he posts stupid shit that I hope he doesn't actually believe. So long as he keeps his bullshit in these threads, to me, he is just an asshole. I come in and check out the comments in case someone says anything entertaining, but I don't have to. I can enjoy the forum freely without seeing any of his shit. If he starts taking over other people's threads and turning everything into a conversation about white power, that's when he becomes a troll. That's when people should ignore him and pretend he doesn't exist.

Also, just because I love Vosur, we always have a right to complain. We have a right to complain for the same reason that this jerk can spew his white power shit without getting banned. It's because forum rules strictly promote freedom of speech and stuffs. Tongue nana nana nana Tongue
Heart

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
24-05-2014, 03:37 AM
(24-05-2014 03:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-05-2014 02:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  Where is it written that by addressing a troll I become part of the problem old bean? And by what process does it then follow that I forfeit the right to complain? You're bein' a bit daft here IMO... mind you, I remember full well how fuckin' horrible it was being a mod myself so ja... no worries. But regardless of if I have a right to or not, I surely am gonna bitch and complain if I take a notion to do the same Big Grin
All right, let me try to make it clearer by using an analogy.

For example, imagine seeing a news report about a convicted criminal, say, a bank robber, who escaped from prison today. When you go for a walk in the park a couple hours later, you encounter this criminal and have several choices:

You can

Now, it would seem to me that by choosing option A., you lose every right to complain about bank robbers in the future because you enabled the crimes of one of them in the past. If you were to do it nonetheless, it would make you a hypocrite. Those of us who respond to trolls are the primary, perhaps even the only reason why they're still here, by definition. It makes no sense to complain about a person whose purpose is to cause disruption and argument while at the same time actively encouraging said behavior. If everyone stopped responding to trolls, they would be unable to cause disruption and argument because they would be having a monologue.

Um, I call Bullshit. Specifically, Responding to a troll does not equate to offering a bank robber shelter. You are sounding more and more like a Christian Apologist every day. I am Disappoint.

Quote:How long do you suppose trolls would bother to come here if every one of their threads vanished into obscurity only hours after being posted because they didn't get a single response? Consider

How is the government policy of ignoring the Westboro Baptist Fucking "Church's" antics working out for the families of the people they choose to target?

I think it's a *great* idea that every troll's thread "vanished into obscurity only hours after being posted", but my understanding of that solution is a little more proactive than yours and involves you growing a hell of a lot more spine.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
24-05-2014, 03:47 AM
(24-05-2014 01:20 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-05-2014 03:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  This is why I might occasionally answer. Also I don't like this business of 'don't answer, starve the troll of attention' anyway. If I wanna answer that's my business.
Yeah, but what people tend to forget is that you automatically forfeit any right to complain about trolls when you respond to them because it makes you part of the problem. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of stupid is that wiser men do nothing."

Or something like that...Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
24-05-2014, 03:59 AM
(24-05-2014 03:37 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I think it's a *great* idea that every troll's thread "vanished into obscurity only hours after being posted", but my understanding of that solution is a little more proactive than yours and involves you growing a hell of a lot more spine.

Er... can we leave off the spinal stuff. One thing I was aware of when I was a mod was that anything that I did could be instantly reversed by admin. So there's no point in e.g. Vosur banning someone, even though he does nominally have that power, unless he's got admin in agreement, 'cos he'll just be told he's a naughty boy and the banning will be reversed, more shit will get talked about censorship etc.

Besides which I think you've done an admirable job of kicking several of our trolls in the nads...

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-05-2014, 04:02 AM
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

- Edmund Burke

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
24-05-2014, 04:05 AM
(24-05-2014 03:59 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-05-2014 03:37 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I think it's a *great* idea that every troll's thread "vanished into obscurity only hours after being posted", but my understanding of that solution is a little more proactive than yours and involves you growing a hell of a lot more spine.

Er... can we leave off the spinal stuff. One thing I was aware of when I was a mod was that anything that I did could be instantly reversed by admin. So there's no point in e.g. Vosur banning someone, even though he does nominally have that power, unless he's got admin in agreement, 'cos he'll just be told he's a naughty boy and the banning will be reversed, more shit will get talked about censorship etc.

Besides which I think you've done an admirable job of kicking several of our trolls in the nads...

Personally, I was happy to have a tenable reason to use the "kill yourself" meme, which always seemed in poor taste otherwise.

I hope he comes back.
[Image: atynyjy8.jpg]

24-05-2014, 04:08 AM
(24-05-2014 04:02 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

- Edmund Burke

... Well it's lucky for me I don't consider myself a good man Big Grin Poor good men, they got a lot of work to do Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post