White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 08:21 AM
White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem
Not talking about racism won't fix the issue.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
17-01-2014, 10:53 AM
RE: White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem
(17-01-2014 08:21 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Not talking about racism won't fix the issue.

I find it interesting that you bring up a potentially inflammatory topic, yet don't share your own opinion about it.

What did YOU think of the video?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
17-01-2014, 11:10 AM
My opinion is that white people have to have a hand in fixing racism too. They can't just keep saying racism is bad then stick their heads in the ground when shit hits the fan.
17-01-2014, 11:12 AM
The whole "I'm not racist so it's not my problem" bit isn't okay
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
17-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Quite the generalization.

And it's your opinion that "white people" stick their heads in the sand and do nothing to fight racism?

Interesting. Do you have a source that brought you to this conclusion?

[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
17-01-2014, 11:16 AM
(17-01-2014 11:12 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  The whole "I'm not racist so it's not my problem" bit isn't okay

I agree. You seem to imply that the attitude to which you refer is a mostly "white" attitude. Sorry to make assumptions....am I correct?

17-01-2014, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 11:23 AM by War Horse.)
I really dont like getting into these kinds of conversations because they usually are divisive and dont end well.

BUT....

Heres my take on the matter.

I treat everyone the same and with respect to begin with, that means white, black, brown, yellow or grey. Now, if they act like assholes,then I am more than happy to treat them in that fashion, dont go crying about race being the cause. Its a crutch and a cop out for not acting right.

I could go into some reverse discrimination that I've had done to me , but I wont go into that here.
[+] 4 users Like War Horse's post
17-01-2014, 11:23 AM
My brain can't keep up with the speed she talks. Maybe I'm slow? Half the time I couldn't figure out the point she was trying to make. Whatever.

CP Time- never heard of it before now and I'm 46. In my book you are either early,on time or late.

I have heard of "programmer" time. It's the time zone my husband gets lost in, " I just have to do one more thing on the computer, it will just take a minute, and two hours later he shows up. It's a lot like 'Facebook' time.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
17-01-2014, 11:24 AM
(17-01-2014 11:20 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I really dont like getting into these kinds of conversations because they usually are divisive and dont end well.

BUT....

Heres my take on the matter.

I treat everyone the same and with respect to begin with, that means white, black, brown, yellow or grey. Now, if they act like assholes,then I am more than happy to treat them in that fashion, dont go crying about race being the cause. Its a crutch and a cop out for not acting right.

I could go into some reverse discrimination that I've had done , but I wont go into that here.

Yes. Thank you. Good post.
I am prejudiced against assholes and that's the end of my prejudice.

Racism is a very difficult thing to assess IMHO. Therefore it must be assessed one situation and one individual at a time. Sometimes it is language and culture that creates barriers --- not the individuals. Sometimes it very much IS the individuals.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
17-01-2014, 11:25 AM
(17-01-2014 11:10 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  My opinion is that white people have to have a hand in fixing racism too. They can't just keep saying racism is bad then stick their heads in the ground when shit hits the fan.

I could say the same thin about black people but then everyone would call me a racist....

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post