White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2014, 07:05 AM
RE: White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem
(19-01-2014 05:13 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 01:38 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  [Image: CryBabyWithSadFace-1gumn68.jpg]

Must say, I was expecting a sheep joke..

LMAO You two are killing me.Weeping

You should have seen us when DL first joined the forum..

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Yeah, racism.

I feel it's more accurate to call it ethnicism. Let's face it, it doesn't quite roll off the tongue. Politicians don't like clumsy words.

The way I see it, as others have noted in their replies, is that racism must be handled by the individual as it (racism) speaks toward an individual.

In order to make an effective argument to the racist, a person must have a foundation for their stance, which the "racist" can accept or deny. The best I've come up with, to date, is rooted in "free will".
For a person to declare that racism is wrong or unjust, they need to have the foundation as to why this is so, when speaking to the racist.
And that would be;

I did not choose my ethnicity. Unless you can prove otherwise, you did not choose yours. Therefore, if you wish to claim yourself as a just and fair minded person, you cannot hold another person as less and yourself as more based solely upon ones ethnicity.

Now, if the "racist" has no interest in being fair or just, they'll tell you to fuck off and that's that. There's nothing for it.

This foundation works upon every discrimination that is out of the control of the discriminated.
Level of intelligence
Where one is born
When one is born, etc.

I am not saying that there are not advantages in any given society in being one ethnicity over another. Of course there are. Yet, individuals who feel victimized by the condition they find themselves in, also have no fair minded claim that they be treated different, that being more favorably, than others.

Socially and politically, this injustice is magnified and manipulated to such a scale, that the individual who may very well be fair-minded, is actually held in some sort of weird contempt because they do not subscribe to all or any of what society claims are "racial corrections", ie affirmative action.

Lest we forget the "Magical Word Of Power".
In which it's shortened version is known in hushed tones as the "N" word.

Go into your favorite grocery store and shout, "Nigger!". Chances are, the first thing that will be looked at is the color of the speakers skin, in order to determine if that person has the "right" to use that word.

After the determination has been made as to if you may have a "right" to use the word, the resultant flood of emotions surface;
Anger, embarrassment, self righteousness, guilt, fear...

It's nuts. IMO

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 1 user Likes Kestrel's post
19-01-2014, 05:53 PM
(19-01-2014 02:52 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  Yeah, racism.

I feel it's more accurate to call it ethnicism. Let's face it, it doesn't quite roll off the tongue. Politicians don't like clumsy words.

The way I see it, as others have noted in their replies, is that racism must be handled by the individual as it (racism) speaks toward an individual.

In order to make an effective argument to the racist, a person must have a foundation for their stance, which the "racist" can accept or deny. The best I've come up with, to date, is rooted in "free will".
For a person to declare that racism is wrong or unjust, they need to have the foundation as to why this is so, when speaking to the racist.
And that would be;

I did not choose my ethnicity. Unless you can prove otherwise, you did not choose yours. Therefore, if you wish to claim yourself as a just and fair minded person, you cannot hold another person as less and yourself as more based solely upon ones ethnicity.

Now, if the "racist" has no interest in being fair or just, they'll tell you to fuck off and that's that. There's nothing for it.

This foundation works upon every discrimination that is out of the control of the discriminated.
Level of intelligence
Where one is born
When one is born, etc.

I am not saying that there are not advantages in any given society in being one ethnicity over another. Of course there are. Yet, individuals who feel victimized by the condition they find themselves in, also have no fair minded claim that they be treated different, that being more favorably, than others.

Socially and politically, this injustice is magnified and manipulated to such a scale, that the individual who may very well be fair-minded, is actually held in some sort of weird contempt because they do not subscribe to all or any of what society claims are "racial corrections", ie affirmative action.

Lest we forget the "Magical Word Of Power".
In which it's shortened version is known in hushed tones as the "N" word.

Go into your favorite grocery store and shout, "Nigger!". Chances are, the first thing that will be looked at is the color of the speakers skin, in order to determine if that person has the "right" to use that word.

After the determination has been made as to if you may have a "right" to use the word, the resultant flood of emotions surface;
Anger, embarrassment, self righteousness, guilt, fear...

It's nuts. IMO

The use of the word nigger is more complicated then that due to it's unique history.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
20-01-2014, 03:21 AM
(19-01-2014 05:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The use of the word nigger is more complicated then that due to it's unique history.

That's the kind of conclusion that makes magical words of power. Any given words meaning and the idea it's meant to convey, are the recipients concern. It's the old, "Only those to whom are offended, need feel offended."

A few years ago, there was a spate of public service announcements declaring that using the word gay to denote foolishness was hurtful and disrespectful to people who are gay. The ridiculousness is in the fact that the word gay had a different definition before becoming an acceptable descriptor for most homosexuals.

Now we have the term " dog whistle" applied to words such as welfare, slums, food stamps, etc to denote racism. Which to the weak-kneed among us damn near effectively ceases all attempts at discussing social issues like adults.

They used to burn books.
Now they burn words.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
20-01-2014, 06:10 AM
(19-01-2014 02:52 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  Yeah, racism.

I think that's just a cosmetic move.
20-01-2014, 06:27 AM
(20-01-2014 03:21 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 05:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The use of the word nigger is more complicated then that due to it's unique history.

That's the kind of conclusion that makes magical words of power. Any given words meaning and the idea it's meant to convey, are the recipients concern. It's the old, "Only those to whom are offended, need feel offended."

A few years ago, there was a spate of public service announcements declaring that using the word gay to denote foolishness was hurtful and disrespectful to people who are gay. The ridiculousness is in the fact that the word gay had a different definition before becoming an acceptable descriptor for most homosexuals.

Now we have the term " dog whistle" applied to words such as welfare, slums, food stamps, etc to denote racism. Which to the weak-kneed among us damn near effectively ceases all attempts at discussing social issues like adults.

They used to burn books.
Now they burn words.

I'm confused. Are you saying the "magical words of power" are nonsense?

The N word controversy is not really justifiable from the white POV, IMO. I know the history of the term, and as a white person I would never use that term to try and endear myself to black people.

My observation is that whites who use the term "nigga", (and are shocked that blacks are mad about it), are desperately seeking black approval. That behavior is a turn off for pretty much everybody.
20-01-2014, 12:14 PM
The only time "nigger" comes up in conversation is discussing the word "nigger" - seriously, it exists to exist. Stupid word. If I am discussing the word though, I refuse to say "The N Word" like I'm seven and explaining to my parents what Jimmy said in school today. I'm an adult and the reason and intent behind me saying it is obvious from context.

[+] 4 users Like Dark Light's post
20-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Magical words of power... Lol

Try standing up on a plane and yelling "BOMB". See if you can explain how it isnt right for society to limit the sounds you can make.
20-01-2014, 12:47 PM
(20-01-2014 12:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Magical words of power... Lol

Try standing up on a plane and yelling "BOMB". See if you can explain how it isnt right for society to limit the sounds you can make.

that's a reasonable limit though. We don't go around saying the B word to say bomb in any context.

At risk of sounding extremely arrogant I'll quote myself from some other thread: "Context is the ultimate moral arbiter extraordinaire"

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
20-01-2014, 12:56 PM
(20-01-2014 12:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Magical words of power... Lol

True , yelling "BOMB" on a plane or yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater have real life consequences, wheres as "nigger" is subjective, as is using the word "cunt" in the USA.... not every culture looks at this the same way.

Words can be used as weapons to incite, but beyond offending someone, do no physical harm at all.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post