White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2014, 03:39 PM
RE: White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem
(20-01-2014 06:10 AM)Juv Wrote:  I think that's just a cosmetic move.
As far as I know there's only the human race.
There is an irony of your use of 'cosmetic', within the context of what we're discussing.
Not worth mentioning beyond that.
Juv Wrote:I'm confused. Are you saying the "magical words of power" are nonsense?

The N word controversy is not really justifiable from the white POV, IMO. I know the history of the term, and as a white person I would never use that term to try and endear myself to black people.

My observation is that whites who use the term "nigga", (and are shocked that blacks are mad about it), are desperately seeking black approval. That behavior is a turn off for pretty much everybody.
No. What's nonsense is that a word can illicit so much emotion.
See Dark Light's post in which I am in complete agreement.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2014, 03:42 PM
(20-01-2014 12:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Magical words of power... Lol

Try standing up on a plane and yelling "BOMB". See if you can explain how it isnt right for society to limit the sounds you can make.
lol Unless of course there is a bomb. Shocking

20-01-2014, 04:08 PM
(20-01-2014 03:42 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 12:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Magical words of power... Lol

Try standing up on a plane and yelling "BOMB". See if you can explain how it isnt right for society to limit the sounds you can make.
lol Unless of course there is a bomb. Shocking

Even if there is an actual bomb, it would be ill advised to "yell" it and causing massive panic.... ya think ? Calmer heads need to prevail in any situation such as this.
20-01-2014, 04:43 PM
(20-01-2014 03:39 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  No. What's nonsense is that a word can illicit so much emotion.

Words have connotations.

For me, the word "nigger" means nothing. I am not black, and I didn't come to this country until the seventies. Where I grew up there were no blacks, hence no discrimination against blacks. The word "nigger" has little meaning for me, it elicits zero emotion. It is simply " a bad word racists used to use" and "a brotherly word some blacks use among each other". That is all this means to me.

However, when I went back to Missisippi with my first husband back then, and we went to see the black lady who raised him, no one had to tell me that this word would be the ultimate insult for her. Why? Because it touched her life in a very real way.

The word had a totally different set of connotations for her than for me.

One of the reasons this stupid racism shit keeps dragging on and on is because of the connotations words have. They all have dictionary definitions, sure. But that is not what humans necessarily hear when they hear them. Everyone who hears them has a different reaction, a personal reaction, because words have connotations.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-01-2014, 05:08 PM
(20-01-2014 04:08 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 03:42 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  lol Unless of course there is a bomb. Shocking

Even if there is an actual bomb, it would be ill advised to "yell" it and causing massive panic.... ya think ? Calmer heads need to prevail in any situation such as this.
Eh. Some women need comforting at such times. Angel

20-01-2014, 06:08 PM
(20-01-2014 04:08 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 03:42 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  lol Unless of course there is a bomb. Shocking

Yeah a crowd in a panic is dangerous in itself. Still, if you dont yell it, people may still be nearing the blast radius instead of moving away from it.

Running away from a bomb while yelling "BOMB" may incite panic,
But it would be better than yelling "FREE MONEY!" when there is really a bomb...

I guess context is everything

Try yelling "NIGGER" on a plane?
21-01-2014, 02:05 AM
(20-01-2014 06:08 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 04:08 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Even if there is an actual bomb, it would be ill advised to "yell" it and causing massive panic.... ya think ? Calmer heads need to prevail in any situation such as this.

Yeah a crowd in a panic is dangerous in itself. Still, if you dont yell it, people may still be nearing the blast radius instead of moving away from it.

Running away from a bomb while yelling "BOMB" may incite panic,
But it would be better than yelling "FREE MONEY!" when there is really a bomb...

I guess context is everything

Try yelling "NIGGER" on a plane?
Only if there are snakes. Even then we'd have to sit through a Samuel L. Jackson rant/lecture which always start out strong but quickly slow to tedium. Oh well.

22-01-2014, 04:02 PM
I could not watch the video and have come late to this dance.

Some 47 years ago when I was 19 I realized something. I was white (pink actually as has been pointed out to me by a dark chocolate man), I came from a reasonably well off lower middle class family whose mother gave great emphases on education and as a consequence of that it was likely that I would have a successful and comfortable life. That has turned out to be true. It has informed my political beliefs since then, that I found this troubling. That accident of birth should make one successful and make one not is not the way a reasonable social/economic order should work.

There has been much back and forth in this thread but the OP is correct there is a very real fact of white privilege. I am not a singularly competent person, I am competent. But, I am not so much that the wealth that has come to me is understandable. It came because of accident of birth.

Those who deny white privilege ignore many facts.
22-01-2014, 04:07 PM
(17-01-2014 11:10 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  My opinion is that white people have to have a hand in fixing racism too. They can't just keep saying racism is bad then stick their heads in the ground when shit hits the fan.
white people voted for black man. What more can they do to fix the problem?
we will never fix this problem. But America have made big progress. We have black President - Barack Obama. I wish his policies were different.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
23-01-2014, 05:27 AM
(20-01-2014 03:39 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 06:10 AM)Juv Wrote:  I think that's just a cosmetic move.
As far as I know there's only the human race.
There is an irony of your use of 'cosmetic', within the context of what we're discussing.
Not worth mentioning beyond that.
Biological racial differences do exist.