White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2014, 05:31 AM
RE: White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem
(20-01-2014 03:39 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  No. What's nonsense is that a word can illicit so much emotion.
See Dark Light's post in which I am in complete agreement.
You're not being clear, but it's a fact of our species that words illicit emotion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Logic and reason>emotion. There will always be those who cannot deal with things - be able to divorce themselves with the illogical emotional response (it isn't always illogical, it can logical depending on context), but dinosaurs go extinct all the same. There was a time when one couldn't say they didn't believe in x god without risking death. Over time people have been forced to just deal with it. Not everything is a personal attack, whatever your emotions tell you. Time heals all wounds and all that jazz. Look at the western Jews, for example. Jokes about Jews are still plentiful, you even hear Jews telling them. People do not generally think they are in any way inferior and generally don't really have ill will toward them. More often they are looked at with admiration.

23-01-2014, 08:15 PM
I only read half the thread but I'd like to chime in with my own "white privilege" stories. First, full disclosure - I'm white, male and middle class. Basically, I am everything that is wrong with society. Seriously, ask anyone, they will tell you. White middle class males are the cause of all of your problems.

Anyway, here are my privilege stories.

First, back in college, I wanted to apply for the hardest major in the business school. The problem was I needed a certain grade point average. To get it, I had to work hard. That cut seriously into my drinking and screwing time which was the whole reason I went to college. A good friend of mine, who was black, had a lower GPA requirement to get into the same major. He got to drink and fuck a lot more. That ticked me off quite a bit, but when I complained I was told I was "priviledged" and should get over it.

Then, when I was finishing up law school and looking for a job, I was having trouble. It was 1994 and the economy wasn't so great at the time and there were not that many law jobs. A good friend of mine, who was black, was able to go to a "minority job fair". My friend was a smart guy but he was lazy. He was probably smarter than I was but he did not do nearly as well in law school because he did not work as hard as I did. I didn't want to work as hard, honest. I wanted to drink more and use the "hey baby, I'm in law school" line to pick up more girls and have more sex. But, I knew it was competitive so i spent some time studying too. I finished in the top 1/3 of my class. He finished in the lower 1/2. He got job offers with firms that would not even interview me, after meeting with them at the minority job fair. I was kind of ticked off about that and, when I complained, I was told I was "priviledged" and should get over it.

There is no doubt there is racism out in the world. It's unfortunate, it's ugly, and it's inexcusable. I'm not sure what you do about it but if I had the power to make it all go away, I would. But, I don't. All I can do is treat people equally and teach my kids to do the same. That's the extent of what is in my power to influence. But, in the meantime, although I didn't cause it, although I didn't contribute to it, although I didn't condone it, I'm paying for it. I'm paying for the sins of people I never met for things I never participated in.

Such is life and I've managed to succeed despite my being a white middle class male. And, in all fairness, we still dominate the fucking planet and it works in our favor most times. But, I'm tired of hearing how everyone is a victim and it's my fault. It isn't.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 5 users Like BnW's post