White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 11:26 AM
RE: White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem
(17-01-2014 11:12 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  The whole "I'm not racist so it's not my problem" bit isn't okay

What do you suggest white people should do?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Prejudices of all flavors seem to be a recurrent theme.

I don't have an issue with potentially heated topics being brought up, but over the last few months this horse has been beaten into oblivion from every possible angle - race, disability, et. al. Not to mention threads that bring up a topic with no other input followed by another thread taking the opposite stance.

It's becoming exhausting and makes the main page of the forum look like this is just a place to incite trouble.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-01-2014, 11:32 AM
At least acknowledge that there is still a problem that needs fixing that would be step one. And I'm not saying nor is the girl in the video saying that white people r ignoring problems on purpose, hence the privilege part of it. Having the luxury of forgetting that there's an issue.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2014, 11:36 AM
(17-01-2014 11:32 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  At least acknowledge that there is still a problem that needs fixing that would be step one. And I'm not saying nor is the girl in the video saying that white people r ignoring problems on purpose, hence the privilege part of it. Having the luxury of forgetting that there's an issue.

Have you ever listened to Bill Cosby on the subject ?

He makes sense, this young girl (in the video) is just off on a tangent.
17-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Ah yes, that old gem. The whole, "White people have it easy because they can just forget about racism, since it doesn,t happen to them."

I acknowledge racism when I see it. I acknowledged it last week when I told my stepfather off for making generalizations about Indians, and I acknowledged it while I laid on the pavement getting beaten by 6 men while they yelled "Fucking White Atheist" at me a few years ago. (It was their favorite slur to yell as they kicked me. That is until a steel toed boot connected with the side of my head bursting my eardrum. Not sure what the banter was like after that.) And strangely enough, even though the men who did that to me were a group of Catholic Portuguese, I still, to this day, don't tell Portuguese people that they, specifically, need to recognize racism.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 10 users Like Stark Raving's post
17-01-2014, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 11:50 AM by Losty.)
I'm just saying, it will take everyone to end racism. Also, just a little FYI racism isn't just about black people and white people anymore. Where I lived in Georgia the black people in general HATED the Hispanic people (yea yea Hispanic isn't a race, it doesn't matter they're still discriminated against) and the Hispanic people in general HATED the black people. When I say hate I mean it. I have a friend from El Salvador who was shot in the genitals by two black men who told him to go back to Mexico. Yea, scary. I also worked for an arrogant asshole (Hispanic) who was furious with me for giving an application to a black person. When I told him I would not refuse anyone an application based on race he took the applications into his office so only he could decide who got them and who didn't. Most of the white people were racist against everyone who wasn't white, but they hide it better because they don't want to get called out for being racist.
So I would to end racism we need to
A) stand up and speak out against it whenever we see it. And
B) raise our children to not be racist

Also, I don't know if this is off topic, but I watched this video that broke my heart. These adorable little girls who are black looking at a black doll and a white doll and choosing the white one for good, pretty, and nice. Then choosing the black one for bad, ugly and mean. I think it's really important if you have daughters that you let them see all women as beautiful, and that they see women of all races that they can look up to.
I tried the experiment on my 5 year old daughter, but it didn't work out as I planned. She just stared at me while I asked the questions, then she took her dolls and said, they're my dolls and they're all pretty and they're not bad!

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 6 users Like Losty's post
17-01-2014, 11:51 AM
(17-01-2014 11:45 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  So I would to end racism we need to
A) stand up and speak out against it whenever we see it. And
B) raise our children to not be racist

I think it's really important if you have daughters that you let them see all women as beautiful, and that they see women of all races that they can look up to.

Thumbsup that's what we do here.

when we see it- we call people out on it. And I think you find more and more people going this route.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
17-01-2014, 01:10 PM
(17-01-2014 11:32 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  At least acknowledge that there is still a problem that needs fixing that would be step one. And I'm not saying nor is the girl in the video saying that white people r ignoring problems on purpose, hence the privilege part of it. Having the luxury of forgetting that there's an issue.

Who here has ever denied that there are problems?

17-01-2014, 01:11 PM
(17-01-2014 01:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Who here has ever denied that there are problems?
I didn't say here did I?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Then it would appear that the people here agree, at least to some extent. So what is that you want from the members here? Is AF doing a better job of responding correctly.

Seriously, after all these months, I don't understand what it is that will make you happy here.

BQ thread - Do you have pets?

- tons of responses from people who love their pets

BQ thread - Do you really think it's right to OWN animals

- The hell?

BQ thread - Don' t you think we should have a subforum for pet talk?

Why don't you just start out and tell us how you think it should be around here to suit you.

BQ thread - my new doctor is prejudiced against brown people.

No way is he being responsible by wanting to make his own assessments instead of relying on someone else's...he must be a bigot, the only logical explanation.

BQ thread - Deaf people think they are better than blind people and won't communicate with us..

Newsflash - everyone isn't Helen Keller.

The chip on your shoulder is the size of a tank...dragging or trying to drag everyone else into it isn't going to get you past your issues.

[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post