White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2014, 11:13 AM
RE: White Privlige and Ignoring the Problem
(18-01-2014 07:36 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 11:10 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  My opinion is that white people have to have a hand in fixing racism too. They can't just keep saying racism is bad then stick their heads in the ground when shit hits the fan.
This is correct.

I didn't watch the video, but I agree that white privilege exists. Many whites who speak against racism are simply too weak to do anything about it; not because society is against them, but because they don't have the guts. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

IDK what the answer is.

Bullshit. Why should I do anything about it? If I do, that's my good will, not my obligation. I make my own cake and what I'm going to do with it is my business, why don't you make your own instead of demanding a piece of mine?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Slowminded's post
18-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I think white privilege is an issue that comes up when some kind discrimination has to be weeded out in a society. We're to eager to reach a perfect society with perfectly equal opportunities to all, but we forget that the civil rights movement peaked only 50 or 60 years ago, there are still people alive that fought that fight, the same goes for feminism and LGBT rights. A society takes tame to change, laws can change from one day to the other, but people take generations to change their minds.

There is racism, and it should be talked about, but the strategy must change when certain balance is reached. Now instead of talking on "us vs. them" terms we must talk on more cohesive terms, otherwise the divide stays and the whole movement is self-defeating. Whenever I hear a black person talking in terms of "we blacks" or "them whites", or a white person saying "I love black people AND white people" I cringe, because that only makes it harder for the racist group definitions disappear.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 4 users Like nach_in's post
18-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Good point Nach. I am human, that is all.
18-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I just think its shitty how its termed "white privilege", people immediately think its a bad thing. If its the idea that some people exist outside of the negative influence of racism, isnt that something we should want for EVERYBODY? Besides, from what I've seen its more of a "non-minority privilege"... You know, let's just drop the privilege part entirely. It makes it seem like not being subjected to racism is an undeserved treat, when it should be a basic right.
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
18-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Discrimination is discrimination. Its not different that I can "hide" my atheism. (And fuck doing that btw)
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
18-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Wow, My take is that if any group of people fell slighted, then change it yourself and dont blame it on someone else. Its lazy to point a finger at others for your own problems.

Like I said, the blame game is a bullshit crutch and a cop out for taking responsibility for our selves and our own actions.
18-01-2014, 03:05 PM
I bet all the white people on here eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too! That's a sign of white privilege you damned racist bastards!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11...74905.html

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
18-01-2014, 03:07 PM
I fucking peanut butter.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
18-01-2014, 03:10 PM
(18-01-2014 03:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I fucking peanut butter.

Is it consensual?
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
18-01-2014, 03:10 PM
(18-01-2014 03:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I fucking peanut butter.

Huh

[Image: giphy.gif]