Who Am I?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Who Am I?
Recently a question has been running through my head and i cant seem to answer it w/o some outside help. Basicly, the question is, "am i really an atheist or am i agnostic?"

I only ask this question because i thinking about what made me think about my beliefs in a god, which started out when i cams across a video on youtube called "Science Saved my Soul". After watching that video i felt like it made lots of sense to me and i was interested in learning more about that particular veiw point. This was when i was about 15. After that video i eventually came across the TTA videos and watched all of them, and listened to all of his podcasts.

Im around 18 now and i look back and think "did i just accept all that blindingly? And with a trust that doesnt really question what hes watching but rather just takes in all the information?"

Basicly, i thought i became an Atheist because i agreed with most the info that was fed to me by me. I never had a real good interest in reading the bible word for word because 1. Laziness, 2. Never was interested in philosopy stuff, 3. I personally never did like reading, and 4. The videos and podcasts just interest me more.
I imagine one day i will read that book, just lik almost everyone that is an Atheist on this forum has done already.

I mean, I dont know, im just a confused young adult wondering if hes on the right track and doing the right thing or not...?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Luke_Atheist's post
06-04-2014, 04:07 PM
RE: Who Am I?
Me too, brother. Me too.

Welcome to the forum.

edit: holy shit, you've been here awhile. I guess welcome back?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
06-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Well only you can really answer it.

An agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, while an atheist has no belief in a deity.

Do you feel that it can't be known whether a god does or does not exist? Or do you feel that without any evidence for its existence that there is no god?

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2014, 04:19 PM
(06-04-2014 04:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Me too, brother. Me too.

Welcome to the forum.

edit: holy shit, you've been here awhile. I guess welcome back?

yea, and thanks, you could say that i have been away from the forum for quite some time. Thats life for ya, things change but sometimes things come back around. Smile

(06-04-2014 04:08 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  Well only you can really answer it.

An agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, while an atheist has no belief in a deity.

Do you feel that it can't be known whether a god does or does not exist? Or do you feel that without any evidence for its existence that there is no god?

Well i have a hard time believing in a deity with really no evidence. But my problem is my sources that i seem to be making this seeming spontaneous decision (if you call it a decision) on.
06-04-2014, 04:29 PM
(06-04-2014 04:19 PM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  Well i have a hard time believing in a deity with really no evidence. But my problem is my sources that i seem to be making this seeming spontaneous decision (if you call it a decision) on.

Your skeptical, its kinda given if your on here asking questions. My methodology when deconverting, which was a long arduous process, was to look at as many sources as I could find, look at their sources and then decide for myself.

Ultimately its up to you, but if all of them point in the same direction, and give the same evidence I'm inclined to believe the results.

Ultimately its up to you whether or not you accept the evidence given.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2014, 07:15 PM
(06-04-2014 03:54 PM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  Basicly, the question is, "am i really an atheist or am i agnostic?"

It might be useful to point out that the answer very much depends on your working definitions for 'atheist' and 'agnostic' (in addition to what you actually believe in). Many (or most?) self-identifying atheists hold the position which some people might wish to label 'agnosticism', and this occasionally leads to confusion. The whole mess essentially boils down to whether or not you consider an atheist to be the same as 'not a theist' or something else e.g. 'someone who claims there are no gods'. But in the end it is beliefs that matter, not so much the labels. So, if you lack a belief in god(s), which you seem to do, then you qualify as an atheist (in the form of 'not a theist').

(06-04-2014 03:54 PM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  Basicly, i thought i became an Atheist because i agreed with most the info that was fed to me by me. I never had a real good interest in reading the bible word for word because 1. Laziness, 2. Never was interested in philosopy stuff, 3. I personally never did like reading, and 4. The videos and podcasts just interest me more.
I imagine one day i will read that book, just lik almost everyone that is an Atheist on this forum has done already.

You seem to be doing perfectly fine questoning things as it stands. It is not necessary to know the Bible from cover to cover in order to be able to call out people on their inconsistent beliefs about god(s) or what have you. Nevertheless it undoubtedly makes your task easier if you do know the basics. The problem is that the rabbit hole is endlessly deep. If you ever endeavour to become acquainted with scripture, I'd suggest to start with books about the origin and formation of said scripture rather than just diving into the texts themselves -- modern casual readers are often bound to miss the point of the original composers, and even more so if you're reading a pious (miss)translation.

(06-04-2014 03:54 PM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  Well i have a hard time believing in a deity with really no evidence. But my problem is my sources that i seem to be making this seeming spontaneous decision (if you call it a decision) on.

I'm not convinced people can decide what they believe in -- the whole idea seems rather absurd: can I decide to believe that I'm 500 years old? Clearly not. People are persuaded and convinced about whatever they believe in, and that elefant of a process is difficult to control. I don't quite understand wherein lies this problem with your sources. It's fairly straightforward to fact-check nowadays, or at the very least find differing opinions and let them try to persuade you. When in doubt, question. The truth is not afraid of inquiry.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
06-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Everyone is agnistic Drinking Beverage
agnosticism is not knowing wether god exists or not.
None of us do,regardless of what we believe and claim.
You can be agnostic atheist as well as agnostic theist,agnostic deist and agnostic (whatnot)theist

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
06-04-2014, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 08:10 PM by sporehux.)
I think every single person is at core an atheist from cradle to grave, the theist position is plastered over that, you don't gradually become an atheist, its the theist indoctrination that fades away.

I spent a long time in the agnostic definition but realised that there is no middle ground, If you believe then you "BELIEVE", if you don't believe you are an Atheist.
When a theist disbelieves, they are immediately an atheist as the doubting years of still thinking they are a theist followed by the period they claim to be agnostic is a person who disbelieves.

Atheist:= A person who disbelieves
Agnostic:= unresolved cognitive dissonance.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-04-2014, 08:29 PM
When I was a kid, there was no internet, only a library, and as far as I could tell, there were no atheists.

So I read the bible. Looked like a big bunch of fairy tales to me at age 10. I filed it away and knew I didn't believe all that crap.

I married my husband thinking he was a catholic who just didn't go to church much. Turns out he was atheist - first one I met and found out about. We just lived and didn't worry about it - it was a non issue.

And it didn't become an issue til hubby died decades later and all these people spouted off all this stuff about him being needed by god, how I should be happy I had him sitting next to god watching over me and all kinds of irritating nonsense.

That's when I showed up here to vent....

You don't really need science or other people to figure out that the bible is baloney. A 10 year old can do it.

There are versions of the bible online that point out all the falsehoods, you may have an easier time reading those. All this begetting in the bible is boring as heck. Might as well skip it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
06-04-2014, 08:35 PM
I see what you're saying about not knowing what to think or what information to trust as accurate, then base your opinions on those things... If that made sense lol

For me "truth" is a very tricky word. How can we really truly know anything as fact if we haven't done the research ourselves first hand? We'd never get anything done if we lived this way though, you know?

I try to base my thinking on what makes the most sense, who seems the most credible, what has more evidence to back it up.

When you compare what is taught by religion, to what is taught by science, I come out on the side of science, and there is nothing there that points to any the existence of a deity, nor supports any one religion. Therefore I am an agnostic atheist. I think it is reasonable to assume a god(s) likely does not exist, but it could never be ruled out completely.

Edit: I want to add "yeah, what Dom said", and don't bother reading the bible unless you want to debate apologists. I never read the whole thing, and I likely never will.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post