Who Indoctrinated You Into Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2017, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2017 08:10 AM by jennybee.)
For former or current theists, who indoctrinated you into your religion? Was it a parent, extended family member, significant other, friend, community, did you seek it out on your own, etc.?

For those who were never indoctrinated into religion, did you ever have a desire to become religious or investigate the claims of religious individuals?

For me, I was raised Irish Catholic by my mom, she was the primary force in my initial indoctrination. My dad was not extremely religious but didn't fight her on bringing "religion" into the home. My mom's mom and dad were not religious at all. In fact, my grandma was an atheist in looking back at things now (even though she never used that word). So I'm not really sure why my mom decided to go the religion route in raising her family.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-09-2017, 08:14 AM
RE: Who Indoctrinated You Into Religion?
I had to go through the entire Roman Catholic indoctrination mill---12½ years in Catholic schools. It robbed me of a good deal of the happiness of childhood. Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
29-09-2017, 08:19 AM
(29-09-2017 08:07 AM)jennybee Wrote:  For those who were never indoctrinated into religion, did you ever have a desire to become religious

No, never saw any point in it. I like many kinds of fiction but never wanted to make any of it a core part of my life and religious fiction is always so badly written it can't be taken seriously at all.

Quote:or investigate the claims of religious individuals?

Primarily out of curiosity about why people would accept such, to me, obviously fallacious claims and cling to them even when they are shown to have no basis. The only other reason I have to investigate the claims is to counter social and political ideas that are based on them. If religion wasn't such a huge force I would never give it a thought.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-09-2017, 08:20 AM
(29-09-2017 08:14 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I had to go through the entire Roman Catholic indoctrination mill---12½ years in Catholic schools. It robbed me of a good deal of the happiness of childhood. Dodgy

Likewise -- I was born into a Catholic family, and went to a Catholic elementary school for 8 years and a Catholic high school for 2 years. I switched to a public high school for the last 2 years (for financial reasons), but until then, I was totally immersed in Catholicism.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
29-09-2017, 08:22 AM
My mom, but I think for her it was about community and tradition (and probably expectation as well).
She never talks about god, and isn't religious at all.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
29-09-2017, 08:28 AM
(29-09-2017 08:22 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  My mom, but I think for her it was about community and tradition (and probably expectation as well).
She never talks about god, and isn't religious at all.

I think my mom believed and believes that the Bible is about morals. Of course, she's never read it and is only going by the cherrypicked passages in church. I think in her mind she was giving her family a set of "morals" to live by. Unfortunately, with that came a lot of Catholic guilt over pretty much everything.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-09-2017, 08:40 AM
I have to say the most bizarre part of my upbringing is that my highly religious Catholic mother chose a witch (yes, someone who practices witchcraft) to be my godmother.

[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
29-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Oh, the Catholic guilt is real.
My mom had an official falling out with the Catholic church and will definitely point out their hypocrisy and ridiculousness. She's too much of a feminist to believe in their nonsense.

I really do wonder if my mom is either agnostic or an atheist, but still wants to believe she will 'see' the people she loved who passed away too soon. I understand that. That is a REALLY hard thing to accept when you embrace atheism, that your loved ones are gone for good. Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
29-09-2017, 08:47 AM
(29-09-2017 08:41 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Oh, the Catholic guilt is real.
My mom had an official falling out with the Catholic church and will definitely point out their hypocrisy and ridiculousness. She's too much of a feminist to believe in their nonsense.

I really do wonder if my mom is either agnostic or an atheist, but still wants to believe she will 'see' the people she loved who passed away too soon. I understand that. That is a REALLY hard thing to accept when you embrace atheism, that your loved ones are gone for good. Sad

My dad passed away when I was still a believer and a few years later, when I became an atheist, it hit me like a ton of bricks that I was never going to see him again. It was like experiencing the loss of his death all over again.

That said, knowing there's no afterlife makes me realize that we really need to tell the people we love that we love them and spend time with them in the here and now because we don't get an afterlife to make amends or see them again.

[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
29-09-2017, 08:57 AM
I was born into a Catholic family. My father was Irish Catholic (his family fairly recently had come to USA) and my mother is from an area in Canada that's almost solely Catholic. My father was more cultural/traditional Catholic and didn't discuss religion. They required us to go through my first Communion.

My mother says she's still Catholic. She attends a Methodist church and is active there. But she isn't happy with the Catholic Church and Vatican, especially how they treated the molestation cases. I've even told her the things Mother Teresa said, and I think she sees that many of them are corrupt. Like all Christians she cherry picks the Bible. I had family who served as clergy, including St Patrick's Cathedral. So I was pretty much guaranteed to be Catholic! (As are most French, Irish, Italian, Hispanic...)

I'm not saying I'm more intelligent than she is, but her teaching me it's OK to question anything and everyone--including the church--led me to study religion more closely. So in a way, my parents' religion led me to shuffling off religion.

And for the fellow former Catholics, how many people in your family are named Frances/Francis? Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post