Who Indoctrinated You Into Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 06:29 AM
RE: Who Indoctrinated You Into Religion?
(03-10-2017 05:19 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 08:40 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I have to say the most bizarre part of my upbringing is that my highly religious Catholic mother chose a witch (yes, someone who practices witchcraft) to be my godmother.

I don't find that unusual at all. Catholicism is highly ritualistic so it stands to reason why so many Catholics are drawn to occultism/mysticism. It's especially evident in the deep south where Haitians incorporated Voudon (Voodo) into the pevalent Catholicism in order to be able to continue practicing Voudon. Same as Paganism is threaded throughout Christianity.

The line between mysticism and magic can be pretty thin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
03-10-2017, 06:43 AM
I was born into a conservative Lutheran family. So I was indoctrinated by my parents and relatives. Religion was part of my life from the get go. My religion was all for the community and sense of belonging. My whole life was us vs. them, "real" believers vs. non-believers. For a long time I wanted to fit in and when I finally decided to find my own thing I was 24. I didn't have bad experience in religion but it got uncomfortable to not be allowed to speak my mind about doubting stuff. In a way I hope that I would have lived " a normal" teenager life". But I'm quite okay. Smile
[+] 2 users Like ina.karlsson's post
03-10-2017, 06:51 AM
(03-10-2017 05:19 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 08:40 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I have to say the most bizarre part of my upbringing is that my highly religious Catholic mother chose a witch (yes, someone who practices witchcraft) to be my godmother.

I don't find that unusual at all. Catholicism is highly ritualistic so it stands to reason why so many Catholics are drawn to occultism/mysticism. It's especially evident in the deep south where Haitians incorporated Voudon (Voodo) into the pevalent Catholicism in order to be able to continue practicing Voudon. Same as Paganism is threaded throughout Christianity.

I just meant bizarre in the sense that some Catholics associate witchcraft with the devil and his minions Tongue Some Catholics or Xtians are fearful of anything that has any "perceived" darkness to it. I also come from Massachusetts, the heart of the Salem Witch Trials-the impetus in all of that being fear and religion.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-10-2017, 06:53 AM
(03-10-2017 06:29 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 05:19 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  I don't find that unusual at all. Catholicism is highly ritualistic so it stands to reason why so many Catholics are drawn to occultism/mysticism. It's especially evident in the deep south where Haitians incorporated Voudon (Voodo) into the pevalent Catholicism in order to be able to continue practicing Voudon. Same as Paganism is threaded throughout Christianity.

The line between mysticism and magic can be pretty thin.

Very true. We buried a saint upside down in our yard to sell our house 'cause supposedly that helps Hobo Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
03-10-2017, 06:55 AM
(03-10-2017 06:53 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 06:29 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  The line between mysticism and magic can be pretty thin.

Very true. We buried a saint upside down in our yard to sell our house 'cause supposedly that helps Hobo Tongue

> That would be St. Joseph. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
03-10-2017, 06:57 AM
(03-10-2017 06:55 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 06:53 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Very true. We buried a saint upside down in our yard to sell our house 'cause supposedly that helps Hobo Tongue

> That would be St. Joseph. Consider

The one and only. Apparently he has a real estate license Wink

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
03-10-2017, 07:02 AM
I was born into a catholic family. My father was pretty religious but my mother never attended mass, something that wasn't discussed. Later on I found out that a catholic priest tried to rape her when she was in her late teens. In those days nothing was said about such things.

I went to a catholic primary school. It was here that I learnt that protestants were monsters with two heads and that the British were responsible for anything bad that ever happened in Ireland Tongue. I stopped believing just after making my holy communion. It just dawned on me one day that it was all crap. I went to the Christian brothers for secondary school. They were extremely cruel perverse bastards who I still hate with a passion. Luckily the catholic church has lost most of its power here in the Republic of Ireland. The last census in 2011 showed that the second largest group in the state behind Catholics are people who describe themselves as non religious.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 4 users Like Marozz's post
05-10-2017, 04:26 PM
(29-09-2017 08:07 AM)jennybee Wrote:  For former or current theists, who indoctrinated you into your religion? Was it a parent, extended family member, significant other, friend, community, did you seek it out on your own, etc.?

For those who were never indoctrinated into religion, did you ever have a desire to become religious or investigate the claims of religious individuals?

For me, I was raised Irish Catholic by my mom, she was the primary force in my initial indoctrination. My dad was not extremely religious but didn't fight her on bringing "religion" into the home. My mom's mom and dad were not religious at all. In fact, my grandma was an atheist in looking back at things now (even though she never used that word). So I'm not really sure why my mom decided to go the religion route in raising her family.

I spent my first 4 school years in a Catholic school. They tried to teach my the Catholic religion but failed. I can never remember even entertaining the idea that God could exist. Even at age 6 the whole idea sounded a little bit off. I hated the idea of Santa, an obvious pack of lies, and the tooth fairy. Why even at the youngest age I can remember I became an arch skeptic is still something I do not understand. Nobody indoctrinated me into that way of thinking.

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
06-10-2017, 05:53 AM
(03-10-2017 06:43 AM)ina.karlsson Wrote:  I was born into a conservative Lutheran family.

Ex Lutherans represent!

So, was Reformation Sunday a bigger deal in church than Easter? It was in mine. It was also a guarantee that you're singing A Mighty Fortress.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-10-2017, 05:54 AM
Jesus.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post