Who Is Allowed to Be a Free-Thinker?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2011, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 01:07 PM by Erxomai.)
Who Is Allowed to Be a Free-Thinker?
I have a close friend who has been a church-goer all of her life, and professes to have a special relationship with Jesus that she describes as her truth and she's not going to push it on anyone else. She says she doesn't like the label "Christian" so is searching for a way to describe herself when communicating with others.

I'd like to share part of her email to me today. Notice how she describes herself, and then essentially asks, "Can someone be labelled a Free-Thinker and still believe in Jesus?" Before you say Yes, or No, another way of asking this might be, if she came to a forum like this calling herself a Free-thinker, but also shared what she thought about Jesus, would she be shot down for playing the Jesus card?

Quote:It makes me reflect on I Cor. 13 that talks about (paraphrasing) if we churched up types are a bunch of stinkin' know-it-alls and can argue someone into the ground, spew our hate about gays and and cite chapter and verse to justify our vitriol, or even go around crapping our self-righteous, smug good deeds all over people- but we do not love, then we are more than a massive waste of space, but we are a damaging and annoying bunch.

I wish more churched up types would work on their love. They are literally throwing the baby Jesus out with the bath water. Bunch of psychos.

Last thing I wanted to share for now is that I watched Penn Jillette's take on the 2012 candidates. It was very good, though he sort of comes across as bat shit crazy himself when he really gets going. But it's just his personality, he's a performer, and he's passionate about this issue.

I feel sort of bewildered by so many of the atheist rants because I do not believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible and never have. Maybe I'm not good enough for the atheists or the churched up types. Maybe I'm just a religion of one, which makes me in a cult. Oh well. I'm in a cult.

But one huge takeaway from Jillette (among many) is the notion of "free thinkers" as a sub-set all their own the way the "Christians" did. Catholics, pew jumpers, fundies- they all adopted a single label. So I wonder if there is room with the "Free Thinkers" for a follower of Jesus like me? Or would they kick me out because I'm not good enough, not willing to say I don't believe in God? Makes me wonder how that conversation with him would go. He said over and over he wanted Christians to explain stuff to him. But does he really? Or does he want to just fight?

So that's what's on my mind. I tossed the label of "Christian" a while ago and now "Free Thinker" appeals to me, if they'll let me in.

PS, Obviously everyone is "welcome" to join a forum like this. And I'd say there are a number of theists and Christians who have earned the respect of many here. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there is a theist or two some of us might like. The deeper question is, does there exist an atheist bigotry toward accepting a Free-Thinking Jesus Believer?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
11-12-2011, 01:08 PM
RE: Who Is Allowed to Be a Free-Thinker?
Send her over, Preach. We don't so sect here. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-12-2011, 01:10 PM
(11-12-2011 01:08 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Send her over, Preach. We don't so sect here. Wink

Ok, so I should have thought of the obvious...if we can welcome HoC... Big Grin

But still, we admire who you are over your insanity. Would we admire someone who is still delusional about Jesus?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-12-2011, 01:12 PM
(11-12-2011 01:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  The deeper question is, does there exist an atheist bigotry toward accepting a Free-Thinking Jesus Believer?

No need for the adjectives, Preach. Bigotry exists in all forms of self entitlement. But yeah, I've ran across that kind of atheistic thinking before - like on TJ's forum - but if a person is a free thinker, it becomes pretty obvious. I mean, I started on TJ's forum as prophet, but it was elbows and assholes, and now I got a 20 rep on that board. Wink

11-12-2011, 01:12 PM
You're a free thinker for the way you think, not for what you believe...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 5 users Like Observer's post
11-12-2011, 01:13 PM
(11-12-2011 01:10 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 01:08 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Send her over, Preach. We don't so sect here. Wink

But still, we admire who you are over your insanity. Would we admire someone who is still delusional about Jesus?
Like KC? Big Grin

11-12-2011, 01:16 PM
(11-12-2011 01:10 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Would we admire someone who is still delusional about Jesus?
Click on the link in my sig and find the answer...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
11-12-2011, 01:16 PM
(11-12-2011 01:13 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 01:10 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Like KC? Big Grin

For me, that's just because the picture of his wife was hot.

11-12-2011, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 09:30 PM by Hamata k.)
Truly an intriguing case. The potential for becoming a 100% free thinker is there but yet she seems hold onto the whole Jesus thing differently than others. If she were to come to this forum I think it might be interesting to observe what reactions she has. With the right prodding we could move her in either direction quite easily. Then again. I think I'm the only one who accepts manipulation as a logical way to deal with people. Your call.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 5 users Like Hamata k's post
11-12-2011, 01:18 PM
(11-12-2011 01:16 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(11-12-2011 01:10 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Would we admire someone who is still delusional about Jesus?
Click on the link in my sig and find the answer...

Oh, very cool. Thanks for sharing this with me.

Before I read that thread, the question occurs to me, would we have admiration for someone who sincerely worships Zeus? or Set. Big Grin

I guess all of my questions can be answered by: "Look at HoC and KC." Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post