Who Is Allowed to Be a Free-Thinker?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2011, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 05:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Who Is Allowed to Be a Free-Thinker?
(11-12-2011 01:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Notice how she describes herself, and then essentially asks, "Can someone be labelled a Free-Thinker and still believe in Jesus?" Before you say Yes, or No, another way of asking this might be, if she came to a forum like this calling herself a Free-thinker, but also shared what she thought about Jesus, would she be shot down for playing the Jesus card?

Not by me. To me free-thinking just means being open to considering all possibilites, no matter how improbable. Of course, many of these are easily dismissed out of hand, but at least I was willing to consider them. Hell, I still believe in Jesus myself, I just also happen to believe that he was an atheist and his message to me was that I am also the Christ.

(11-12-2011 01:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
Quote:Maybe I'm just a religion of one, which makes me in a cult. Oh well. I'm in a cult.

Sounds like she's already found her own personal Jesus. Smile

(11-12-2011 01:10 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  But still, we admire who you are over your insanity.

Just ot be clear, I admire HoC not despite his insanity, I admire HoC precisely because of his insanity.

(11-12-2011 01:10 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Would we admire someone who is still delusional about Jesus?

Sure. Why not? I do it everyday when I go to work with brilliant research scientists who still maintain that delusion. Doesn't diminish my admiration for them in the slightest.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-12-2011, 05:58 PM
(11-12-2011 05:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Just ot be clear, I admire HoC not despite his insanity, I admire HoC precisely because of his insanity.

Well, there ain't really no separating them things. Just like Johnny Cantor always gonna love Gwyneth Paltrow, and if I say differently, it is only cause I got married and the wife is watching. Wink

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-12-2011, 07:37 AM
I think a free-thinkingt theist is very possible.
Faith can bring a lot of comfort and hope, and as long as the person doesn't take the absurd bible verses litteraly, but instead examines them with logic, he's a free-thinker regardless of his theistic world view.

Although, someone could argue that this kind of belief isnt theism, it's pantheism.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to
believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes avrahams1's post