Who Is God? Why Does He Allow Suffering? And When Will It End?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2016, 06:36 PM
RE: Who Is God? Why Does He Allow Suffering? And When Will It End?
[Image: CQt_WQw_IWw_AA878a_png_large.png]

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like izel's post
01-01-2016, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2016 07:27 PM by claywise.)
Where did all asteroids come from?
Where did the asteroid belt come from?

Where did the red spot of Jupiter come from?

Why is there so much clouds... on the planet?

Who are we?

Where're we going?

How did we get here?
And where did God come from?

How're we doing, Vangelis?

(From "Keep Asking" by Vangelis, from the 25th Anniversary "Blade Runner" soundtrack recording)

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
01-01-2016, 08:43 PM

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-01-2016, 12:46 AM
(31-12-2015 05:48 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(29-12-2015 07:40 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Your statement still does not diminish my point. The legitimacy of Daniel's prophecy does not diminish the point that prophets do not predict the future. They only relay information.
They claim to relay information. Claim. I've yet to see a single iota of evidence that shows their "information" came from anywhere other then their ass or the ass of someone writing long after the fact.

As to your "Christians have a way of telling false prophets from really ones"....haha no. First off the methodology for your "system" is nonexistent, could easily produce false-positives, and is entirely opinion based. The source is unreliable, ignorant, and frequently uses known fabrications or outright duplicitous deceptions in it's own "teachings".
There is no corroborative evidence that it works, it relies on frequent fabrication, it's not objective in any way, it's not falsifiable at all, founded entirely on superstition, and it can't be independently verified or verified at all for that matter.
Not only that but.... for fucks sake "Satan" and his followers have access to the exact same source of your "system" (The Bible) as you do. He would know exactly how it works and exactly how to circumvent it. You give your opposition your game plan and your game plan becomes fucking useless. I mean honestly man, it's little things like that that make me roll my eyes at people who believe in Prophecy and that kind of nonsense.
Don't you get it! I was asked how do Christians determine a real prophet and a false prophet. I answered with what the bible says. Since Christians believe the bible, Christians use the bible to determine a false prophet from a real prophet. What you believe or not believe does not change that fact. If it is true or not, does not change that fact.

I don't believe in the Easter Bunny. But that does not change the fact that every year parents give Easter baskets to their children.
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
02-01-2016, 01:27 AM
(01-01-2016 07:23 PM)claywise Wrote:  (From "Keep Asking" by Vangelis, from the 25th Anniversary "Blade Runner" soundtrack recording)

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-01-2016, 12:02 PM

Just ran into this incredible video of Christopher Hitchens. Must watch.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Relaying information can still relay false information.
While christians may believe that the information was relayed from god, all we can really know is that it was relayed from one person to another.

False information can be relayed just as easily as true information, so we need a reliable way to determine if a claim is true or not, unless someone doesn't care about the truth. (i.e. christians)

Anyone who has played the telephone game knows how unreliable relayed information is.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-01-2016, 04:04 PM
Quote:God is Love

>I was only nine years old

>I loved Shrek so much, I owned all the movies and merchandise

>I pray to Shrek every night, thanking him for the life I have been given

>"Shrek is love", I say, "Shrek is life"

>My dad hears me and calls me a faggot

>He is obviously jealous of my devotion to Shrek

>I called him a cunt

>He slaps me and sends me to my room

>I am crying now, because my face hurts

>I go into my bed and it is very cold

>I feel a warmth moving towards me

>I fell something touch me

>It's Shrek

>I am so happy

>He whispers into my ear, "This is my swamp"

>He grabs me with his powerful ogre hands and puts me on my hands and knees

>I'm ready

>I spread my ass cheeks for Shrek

>He penetrates my butthole

>It hurts so much, but I do it for Shrek

>I can feel my anus tearing as my eyes start to water

>I push against his force

>I want to please Shrek

>He roars a mighty roar as he fills my butt with his love

>My dad walks in

>Shrek looks him deep in the eyes and says, "It's all ogre now"

>Shrek leaves through my window

Shrek is love, Shrek is life

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
02-01-2016, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 05:39 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-01-2016 12:46 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 05:48 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  They claim to relay information. Claim. I've yet to see a single iota of evidence that shows their "information" came from anywhere other then their ass or the ass of someone writing long after the fact.

As to your "Christians have a way of telling false prophets from really ones"....haha no. First off the methodology for your "system" is nonexistent, could easily produce false-positives, and is entirely opinion based. The source is unreliable, ignorant, and frequently uses known fabrications or outright duplicitous deceptions in it's own "teachings".
There is no corroborative evidence that it works, it relies on frequent fabrication, it's not objective in any way, it's not falsifiable at all, founded entirely on superstition, and it can't be independently verified or verified at all for that matter.
Not only that but.... for fucks sake "Satan" and his followers have access to the exact same source of your "system" (The Bible) as you do. He would know exactly how it works and exactly how to circumvent it. You give your opposition your game plan and your game plan becomes fucking useless. I mean honestly man, it's little things like that that make me roll my eyes at people who believe in Prophecy and that kind of nonsense.
Don't you get it! I was asked how do Christians determine a real prophet and a false prophet. I answered with what the bible says. Since Christians believe the bible, Christians use the bible to determine a false prophet from a real prophet. What you believe or not believe does not change that fact. If it is true or not, does not change that fact.

I don't believe in the Easter Bunny. But that does not change the fact that every year parents give Easter baskets to their children.

That's the very definition of circular.
They use the Bible to tell them to believe what the Bible says ? Dodgy
That may be true, but at least honesty about the nature of the argument is warranted.

I've never actually ever once heard any discussion *at all* of what a "real prophet" is, or is not, in the Divinity School, or in any discussion in the RC Church or the Anglican Church. Ever. That may be what Fundamentalists are interested in and talk about. It's just not something that ever comes up in non-fundie circles.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
02-01-2016, 05:02 PM
(02-01-2016 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's the very definition of circular. They use the Bible to tell them to believe what the Bible says ? Dodgy

No. They use the bible to tell them if someone should be trusted

(02-01-2016 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I've never actually ever once heard any discussion *at all* of what a "real prophet" is, or is not, in the Divinity School

You never heard anything about "knowing a man by his fruits"? Have you ever read 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, or Titus? What divinity school did you go to?