Who Is God? Why Does He Allow Suffering? And When Will It End?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2016, 05:11 PM
RE: Who Is God? Why Does He Allow Suffering? And When Will It End?
Okay, I'm just gonna' throw this out there Okie-style... y'all know this J_V is a troll, right?

He's posted this same drivel in other atheist forums. HoboTongueYes

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Not surprised. Just another post and run. Didn't want his thoughts challenged.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
02-01-2016, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 05:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
When people realize God is already dead. Been dead for a long long time since he suicide bombed his ass into oblivion out of sheer boredom in the big bang billions and billions of years ago.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-01-2016, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 06:04 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-01-2016 05:02 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's the very definition of circular. They use the Bible to tell them to believe what the Bible says ? Dodgy

No. They use the bible to tell them if someone should be trusted

(02-01-2016 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I've never actually ever once heard any discussion *at all* of what a "real prophet" is, or is not, in the Divinity School

You never heard anything about "knowing a man by his fruits"? Have you ever read 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, or Titus? What divinity school did you go to?

It's on the East Coast. I'm not done there yet. I only go during the summer.
It's going to take a while, as I need to prepare for a real career. And no, they don't talk about that, at least the people I know, don't. I'm also farmed out to the Ancient Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations department. I suspect there are many nonbelievers among the students and faculty of the Divinity School. Some I know for sure. I suspect many of them know I don't believe in any brand of religion. We don't talk about that either. We're adults. The college even has a Humanist chaplain, among a very large assortment of them. http://chaplains.harvard.edu/people/greg-epstein
And we certainly would never talk about who a *real prophet* is. We have however, talked about the idiocy of Fundamentalism.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
02-01-2016, 06:41 PM
(02-01-2016 05:02 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's the very definition of circular. They use the Bible to tell them to believe what the Bible says ? Dodgy

No. They use the bible to tell them if someone should be trusted

(02-01-2016 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I've never actually ever once heard any discussion *at all* of what a "real prophet" is, or is not, in the Divinity School

You never heard anything about "knowing a man by his fruits"? Have you ever read 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, or Titus? What divinity school did you go to?

Come on. "Fruits" are subjective, especially in a document that can be revised to reflect outcomes.

I could make the argument that I have "prophesied" the success of my kid (autistic, undervalued by a lot of his early teachers and providers). I sat there with his kindergarten and first-grade teachers and told them my kid would be darned great at something, and that they were wrong in writing him off and putting him in the no-hope category. Now at that point, all I did was hope he was going to turn out okay and work my ass off to make sure that he had every opportunity to do so. And if I'd specifically prophesied (for example) sports greatness for my kid, that would have been terrible, because he sucks at sports. It turned out that my kid excelled at music and art, so my vague prophecies are still viable. (My kid's books are now available at the library--he's pretty good at what he does.)

All of the "fruit" stuff is subjective, manipulated, and after the fact. A successful prediction doesn't make one a prophet, and achievement is not a "fruit" that validates the approach that produced it.
02-01-2016, 09:44 PM
(02-01-2016 05:11 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  .
Okay, I'm just gonna' throw this out there Okie-style... y'all know this J_V is a troll, right?

He's posted this same drivel in other atheist forums. HoboTongueYes
[Image: 418cd5a2100d2260b1a19747a540fbd5.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
02-01-2016, 09:44 PM
(02-01-2016 12:46 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Don't you get it!

Yes I do get it, though once again you don't understand the point I'm making at all. The belief or disbelief in the system is completely irrelevant and not the point I'm making. Even as a believing Christian you do NOT have a system in the Bible that actually works in determining a "true" prophet from a false prophet. You have no objective methodology, a propensity towards false-positives, and entirely based on the opinion of the reader. The source, the Bible, is superstitious, ignorant, and frequently lies in it's own teachings.

There is a very real difference between Christians believing they have a system (not in contention) and Christians ACTUALLY having a system that works (which they do not). That's my point, and it still stand.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
02-01-2016, 10:01 PM
(02-01-2016 06:41 PM)julep Wrote:  I could make the argument that I have "prophesied" the success of my kid.

(02-01-2016 06:41 PM)julep Wrote:  if I'd specifically prophesied (for example) sports greatness for my kid, that would have been terrible, because he sucks at sports.

I thought I explained that prophecy is not predicting the future but rather a message from God. Unless you claimed that God told you that your child would be successful and gave you instructions to spread the news on His behalf, it is not prophecy.