Who Should Rule?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Who Should Rule?
I find a great deal of truth in the humor of Douglas Adams --

“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Whether you're talking about the President, a Congresscritter, a Goveror, Mayor -- or just a cop on the street ---- who should do the job???

I agree with Mr Adams -- anyone who lusts after a job that wields power - should not be allowed to have that job. The potential for unethical behavior - to get and keep the seat of power -- is frequently more than any reasonable person can control.....

Should the system be changed? If so - to what?

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-07-2016, 11:42 AM
RE: Who Should Rule?
Dogs. Dogs rule! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-07-2016, 11:44 AM
(21-07-2016 11:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  Dogs. Dogs rule! Tongue

Gotta admit -- they're higher on the evolutionary ladder than the lizards we've got now..... (another Doug Adams reference..)

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-07-2016, 11:44 AM
What if we disagree with Mr. Adams opinion? What if we consider most rulers to be actually just as good or even more ethical than most private persons? Why consider people who lust after a job that wield power as dangerous. Shouldn't we question their motives or what they intend to do with this power instead of fearing them because they have some? If we are affraid of people with power, why not establishing counter-powers?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
21-07-2016, 11:55 AM
(21-07-2016 11:44 AM)epronovost Wrote:  What if we consider most rulers to be actually just as good or even more ethical than most private persons?

This would be disproved by the number of political scandals and politicians that have been convicted of corruption and other crimes. I would submit that the number of politicians tainted by scandal and corruption would qualify as "most". I should also note that I mean that colloquially and am not citing any sources.

(21-07-2016 11:44 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Why consider people who lust after a job that wield power as dangerous. Shouldn't we question their motives or what they intend to do with this power instead of fearing them because they have some?

Their motives are being questioned. Fearing consolidated power is reasonable considering the abuses of power that we have experienced throughout history.

(21-07-2016 11:44 AM)epronovost Wrote:  If we are affraid of people with power, why not establishing counter-powers?

A discussion of alternate systems of government is a good start.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
21-07-2016, 11:59 AM
(21-07-2016 10:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Should the system be changed? If so - to what?

Are you familiar with modern anarchists?

It's sort of like communism. It looks good in theory, but I'm not sure about working in reality. Beyond the short term anyway.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
21-07-2016, 12:13 PM
(21-07-2016 10:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I find a great deal of truth in the humor of Douglas Adams --

“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

Whether you're talking about the President, a Congresscritter, a Goveror, Mayor -- or just a cop on the street ---- who should do the job???

I agree with Mr Adams -- anyone who lusts after a job that wields power - should not be allowed to have that job. The potential for unethical behavior - to get and keep the seat of power -- is frequently more than any reasonable person can control.....

What're you going to do? Force the jobs upon those who do not want them? What will you do if they refuse?

Some of us observe non serviam.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
21-07-2016, 12:15 PM
(21-07-2016 12:13 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  What're you going to do? Force the jobs upon those who do not want them? What will you do if they refuse?

Soylent green?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
21-07-2016, 12:21 PM
(21-07-2016 12:15 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:13 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  What're you going to do? Force the jobs upon those who do not want them? What will you do if they refuse?

Soylent green?

I've had worse threats. Tongue

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
21-07-2016, 02:59 PM
(21-07-2016 12:13 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 10:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I find a great deal of truth in the humor of Douglas Adams --

What're you going to do? Force the jobs upon those who do not want them? What will you do if they refuse?

Some of us observe non serviam.

You've heard of jury duty????

It's called "civic responsibility"....

One idea I had --- mandatory 2-4 years of public service --- as either military, police, or to be in a pool of potential public servants. (up to and including President) -- Military would be 2 year, police/fireman 4 year - and public servant pool - would be from 18 years of age to 65............... (meaning you don't do anything really - unless chosen -- but it's a 47 year commitment)...

edit to add...

If you want to opt out -- fine --- you go into a higher tax bracket....