Who Was Your First???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2015, 09:17 PM
RE: Who Was Your First???
(13-06-2015 07:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The really fun part???? When each of us saw these concerts -- we were all sure - that we were experiencing an event on par with Woodstock................

but... then....

I dated a lady who was at Woodstock -- and she thought it was a horrid experience................. Nothing to eat, nothing to drink, mud, rain, and stupid people stoned out of their minds............... She just wanted to leave -- and couldn't.............. (yeah, she was several years my senior)

Odd- what we think is a good time, isn't it?????

I was dragged by my parents to see those country guys -- I was into Kiss and Ted Nugent at 12, and didn't have time for that shit.

I listen to some country now, and enjoy it, but then? No, I knew it wasn't going to be fun.

First concert I chose to go to as a spectator? Rush, in 1987, about eight years after the Tillis/Bandy double-bill. I had already played my own small-time gigs in the SoCal scene by then.

Best concert I ever saw, for overall energy, SJSU, in April of 1993:

[Image: v7r1wg.jpg]

For musicianship, Steely Dan, on the Everything Must Go tour, Santa Barbara, 2003. Close second was Eric Johnson, same city, in 1991.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-06-2015, 09:22 PM
(13-06-2015 09:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  First concert I chose to go to as a spectator? Rush, in 1987.

I saw them in 1987, too. It was the Hold Your Fire tour on Nov. 16, 1987 at the Hartford Civic Center.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
13-06-2015, 09:41 PM
(13-06-2015 09:22 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 09:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  First concert I chose to go to as a spectator? Rush, in 1987.

I saw them in 1987, too. It was the Hold Your Fire tour on Nov. 16, 1987 at the Hartford Civic Center.

Same tour, I saw them in LA, September or early October. Tommy Shaw opened for them. I've seen them three times ... the Roll the Bones tour was my favorite, Dallas in Feb 1992.
13-06-2015, 09:51 PM
(13-06-2015 06:01 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think it was this one, but it might have been a Reading Festival before that.

I liked the Comsat Angels and they were supporting some Irish band who came to town.

[Image: 1982%20-%20October%20Tour%2F1981-10-17%2...171081.jpg]

My curiosity piqued and not trusting my memory, I googled.

I remember going to this in 1979:

[Image: ae885de05adbed337544dbbd1f830261696113e6.gif]

And saw these guys:

But then, digging deeper, I remember this too:
[Image: NEWHEARTSreadingrockflyer.jpg]

Squeeze stole the show.

So I was only 14.

WTF were my parents thinking?

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-06-2015, 10:01 PM
(13-06-2015 09:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 05:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  At that point Aerosmith was the next big thing, no one really even knew who Rush was. And they were an opening act for an opening act.

It's getting harder to ignore this, Anj.

Just stating how it was. Not hating on Rush.

Though Rush was never a real favorite of mine.

Bechased

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-06-2015, 10:22 PM
It's ok, Anj, not everyone can be in the cool clique.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
13-06-2015, 10:36 PM
(13-06-2015 10:22 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It's ok, Anj, not everyone can be in the cool clique.

Weeping Wasn't when I was in school - not now - and at no time in between. Sadcryface2

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-06-2015, 10:57 PM
My first concert was some Aussie pub band in 1972 when I was 8. I remember the drummer had a red Pearl kit.

I saw so many concerts it is hard to recall who came first. One of the best acts I ever saw was Fishbone circa 1993. Unbelievable power and on stage presence. I think at that time they would have wiped the stage with any act in the world.

The Dizzy Gillespie Latin Jazz orchestra was phenomenal. Airto and Giovanni Hidalgo on percussion, Ignacio Berroa on drums, Freddie Hubbard replacing Arturo Sandoval on trumpet due to Arturo defecting....

THAT was some band!

Branford Marsalis with Kenny Kirkland with my drum teacher, Virgil Donati and Steve Hadley on bass were fine shows.

Miles Davis was awesome.

SO many concerts......

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-06-2015, 01:55 AM
(13-06-2015 10:57 PM)Banjo Wrote:  My first concert was some Aussie pub band in 1972 when I was 8. I remember the drummer had a red Pearl kit.

I saw so many concerts it is hard to recall who came first. One of the best acts I ever saw was Fishbone circa 1993. Unbelievable power and on stage presence. I think at that time they would have wiped the stage with any act in the world.

The Dizzy Gillespie Latin Jazz orchestra was phenomenal. Airto and Giovanni Hidalgo on percussion, Ignacio Berroa on drums, Freddie Hubbard replacing Arturo Sandoval on trumpet due to Arturo defecting....

THAT was some band!

Branford Marsalis with Kenny Kirkland with my drum teacher, Virgil Donati and Steve Hadley on bass were fine shows.

Miles Davis was awesome.

SO many concerts......

Back in the day, Fishbone could kill anyone, no doubt. In SoCal, bands were afraid to go on after them.
14-06-2015, 02:03 AM
(13-06-2015 05:44 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Can't remember if it was Pearl Jam at Hi-Fi Buys Ampitheater in Atlanta or Lifehouse/Everclear/Matchbox 20 at the BJCC in Birmingham.

Might have been Incubus at Big Spring Jam. Or was it 311 and Reel Big Fish at Warped Tour? Or Widespread Panic?

Can't remember...those times are a bit...hazy. Smokin

I almost got to see Aerosmith for the Just Push Play tour. My best friend was related to the owner of the major area radio station and got us back stage passes at the BJCC. And the scoreboard in the arena. Fucking. Fell. And they never rescheduled. Angry They had been my favorite band since I was in elementary school when I wanted to be Alicia Silverstone with her pierced belly button and bunjee jump in the video for Cryin'. Dream On was always my favorite, though.

My first and still favourite concert was Incubus... What a fantastic show.