Who Was Your First???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2015, 02:12 AM
RE: Who Was Your First???
Indigo Girls at the Breslin Center (MSU) probably around 1993

As an added bonus, it was also the first time I saw girls kissing each other in real life. Thumbsup

The Big Fish Ensemble opened, and I recently purchased their Field Trip album on mp3 since I don't have a tape player anymore for the cassette I bought at the concert. It's sad they never made it big. I thought they had potential.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2015, 03:07 AM
(14-06-2015 01:55 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Back in the day, Fishbone could kill anyone, no doubt. In SoCal, bands were afraid to go on after them.

In Sydney The Velvet Underground went on after Fishbone. Poor sods! Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-06-2015, 04:29 AM
Small venue: Phil Ochs at Club 47 in Cambridge when I was 13.

Large venue: Jackson Browne; opening act was Bonnie Raitt.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Awww yeah
My first concert was the rockin-est thing on Earth!

[Image: AC-Wallpaper-aaron-carter-19945866-1260-945.jpg]

Opening act:
[Image: a-teens1.jpg]

Big Grin Tongue

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
14-06-2015, 09:22 AM
(13-06-2015 10:22 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It's ok, Anj, not everyone can be in the cool clique.

Not everyone can be a part of the prog-masterrace.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
14-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer in Moline, IL. I was like 12 and I loved it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
14-06-2015, 11:19 AM
My first: Kanye West (2004)
My latest: Chicago (2014)

Both were at Hard Rock Live.
14-06-2015, 02:52 PM
(14-06-2015 04:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  Small venue: Phil Ochs at Club 47 in Cambridge when I was 13.

Large venue: Jackson Browne; opening act was Bonnie Raitt.

Edit: I forgot - I was a the Newport Folk Festival in 1966.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-06-2015, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2015 04:24 PM by Banjo.)
(14-06-2015 09:22 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 10:22 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It's ok, Anj, not everyone can be in the cool clique.

Not everyone can be a part of the prog-masterrace.

Prog is like any other rock music. Basically rehearsed and played the same each night. Odd time signatures are nothing. Indian music makes use of time signatures that have over 100 notes per bar!

The great progressive rock drummer Bill Bruford has said that the progressive movement had a lifespan that began around 68 to 69 and lasted until 73 or 74. From that time it simply repeated itself. As can be seen in albums such as Relayer by Yes and Wind and wuthering by Genesis. Two of the prime movers of the movement. King Crimson by that time had become defunct due to the repetition.

There was an interesting period in the early 80's when Crimson was reinvented, the first of three albums, Discipline, being the masterwork of the time. But repetition again proved Prog's undoing and the band was fired one night after a concert in Canada by Robert Fripp in 1984. Interestingly this concert was recorded and released as the CD Absent lovers. Absent lovers.

Other bands jumped on the bandwagon of repetition, Styx, Kansas, Rush etc, but ultimately added nothing new to the canon. This repetition continues to this day in the hands of bands such as Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree.

"Progressive" is supposed to mean forward motion but I have not heard anything new since Discipline arrived. And I have been listening very hard for many years. These days I have since moved onto so called "world music" for new sounds. New to me that is. Truth be told these styles have existed for a long long time.

Having said all that, I too have played my own part in repetition, having worked in progressive rock bands. And I teach it today.

Just another one of many styles of music that exist. None actually better than the next.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-06-2015, 05:33 PM
(14-06-2015 04:07 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Other bands jumped on the bandwagon of repetition, Styx, Kansas, Rush etc, but ultimately added nothing new to the canon. This repetition continues to this day in the hands of bands such as Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree.

I disagree with this. Rush definitely added a hard, borderline metal edge to the music that was previously not present. I don't consider Styx to be prog at all, insofar as odd meters, key changes, and sonic exploration aren't present. Kansas had elements of prog, but they too were simply mainstream rock, to my mind.

And there has been prog since the early 70s that has not been rehash -- The Dregs come to mind immediately, so does Level 42 and early-80s Peter Gabriel, Frank Zappa (check out the Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar trilogy), or Ozric Tentacles ... this list could get long.