Who Was Your First???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2015, 08:50 AM
RE: Who Was Your First???
(15-06-2015 08:42 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 08:39 AM)Marozz Wrote:  It was a mad night. They found it hard in front of a hardcore punk audience.

http://www.u2.com/news/title/top-hat-bal...blin/news/

THAT is cool.

I have played to hardcore punk audiences while in a ska band. They were awesome! I love punks! Real punks. Not fake Blink 182 punks.

I liked ska music,but back in those days we were always fighting. I came out of a punk gig in 1980, Stiff Little Fingers, and there was about 100 ska / skins waiting outside. It was most exciting trying to get accross the city in one piece. The good old days.Big Grin

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2015, 09:12 AM
(15-06-2015 08:50 AM)Marozz Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 08:42 AM)Banjo Wrote:  THAT is cool.

I have played to hardcore punk audiences while in a ska band. They were awesome! I love punks! Real punks. Not fake Blink 182 punks.

I liked ska music,but back in those days we were always fighting. I came out of a punk gig in 1980, Stiff Little Fingers, and there was about 100 ska / skins waiting outside. It was most exciting trying to get accross the city in one piece. The good old days.Big Grin

Really? The Aussie experience was more British. British punks listened to ska in between sets because it was not top 40 pop, British DJs played ska. As a result punks in the Commonwealth loved ska. I recall a gig I played with Madness and the crowd was half full core punk. Everyone loved it. And Madness were awesome fun backstage. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-06-2015, 09:21 AM
(15-06-2015 09:12 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 08:50 AM)Marozz Wrote:  I liked ska music,but back in those days we were always fighting. I came out of a punk gig in 1980, Stiff Little Fingers, and there was about 100 ska / skins waiting outside. It was most exciting trying to get accross the city in one piece. The good old days.Big Grin

Really? The Aussie experience was more British. British punks listened to ska in between sets because it was not top 40 pop, British DJs played ska. As a result punks in the Commonwealth loved ska. I recall a gig I played with Madness and the crowd was half full core punk. Everyone loved it. And Madness were awesome fun backstage. Smile

It was a bit mad in the early eighties.We listened to The Specials, Selector and the Beat in clubs, but would never go to a live gig. Later on we became a bit more civilised. I played in a New Wave band then, punk sort of died away or became fashioable. I saw Madness later on and it was great fun.

[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
15-06-2015, 09:24 AM
(15-06-2015 09:21 AM)Marozz Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 09:12 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Really? The Aussie experience was more British. British punks listened to ska in between sets because it was not top 40 pop, British DJs played ska. As a result punks in the Commonwealth loved ska. I recall a gig I played with Madness and the crowd was half full core punk. Everyone loved it. And Madness were awesome fun backstage. Smile

It was a bit mad in the early eighties.We listened to The Specials, Selector and the Beat in clubs, but would never go to a live gig. Later on we became a bit more civilised. I played in a New Wave band then, punk sort of died away or became fashioable. I saw Madness later on and it was great fun.

Nice! You're a musician? Nice to meet you. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
15-06-2015, 09:30 AM
(15-06-2015 09:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 09:21 AM)Marozz Wrote:  

Nice! You're a musician? Nice to meet you. Smile

Cheers! Yep, I'm still playing the bass. Nice to meet you to too.Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
15-06-2015, 09:36 AM
And a BASS player! Hi mate. I am a drummer percussionist. Smile

Banjo.
15-06-2015, 12:30 PM
(13-06-2015 04:59 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 04:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  REO Speedwagon back when they were still doing gigs at colleges and other small venues.

The first big one was in about 76 when I went to see Aerosmith. The opening group was Rush who no one had heard of, then on came a group named Angel, who disappeared into the void. Then my friends decided to leave because they all thought the second group WAS Aerosmith...I kept saying that it couldn't have been because they didn't play 'Dream On'. So, I missed my first big concert headliner because everyone thought I was too stoned to realize that Angel was really Aerosmith. Dodgy

When leaving the parking lot we could hear the applause and the first notes of 'Dream On'. Of course you couldn't get back in. Fuckers. Time for new friends.

You saw motherfucking Rush as the opening act, and you then complain you didn't get to see the sack of crap that is Aerosmith?
[Image: 9079bec87b189313d604d6b9722bce1b.jpg]

Don't shoot me, but I actually like Aerosmith more than I like Rush. Rush may have been better musicians, but Aerosmith made better music.
15-06-2015, 12:41 PM
I've never been. I wish I'd seen the Talking Heads before they split up.
(I've played and attended thousands of classical music concerts, though.)
15-06-2015, 12:47 PM
I've been to so many concerts over the last 45 years or so that it's hard to remember which one was first. It also depends on what you want to call a "concert". I went to see many local bands during my teen years, but we thought of those as dances rather than concerts. Even when bands like Styx and REO Speedwagon came to play the local hall downtown (before they got famous), it wasn't much different from going to see the local bands. I also remember seeing Cheap Trick on one of the secondary stages at Summerfest (in Milwaukee), before they got famous. But it's not like we were going to a "Cheap Trick concert". We just went to Summerfest, and Cheap Trick happened to be playing there.

The first time I remember going to a specific concert to see a specific band was in 1973, when I went to two concerts at the same location (Chicago Stadium) about a week apart. One was The Allman Brothers (my favorite band at the time), and the other was The Moody Blues (the favorite band of a girl I was infatuated with).

Having revealed in a previous post that Rush was not my favorite band, I will reveal now that I went to see them in concert numerous times -- they were my brother's favorite band. Those were good concerts and Rush was/is a good band -- just not as good as Aerosmith (who I have never gone to see). Big Grin
07-08-2015, 08:44 PM
My first real concert that wasn't some school show or youth community event was the Heavy TO festival in 2012, a bunch of bands but the hook for me was Marilyn Manson who was a co-head-liner with slipknot.

"It says you have to be saved in order to go to heaven. The way I see it, you only have to be yourself to go to hell!" - Marilyn Manson, Copps Collesium, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (1997)

Censored