Who are neither theist nor atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2013, 03:09 AM
RE: Who are neither theist nor atheist?
Quick answer: none.

Long answer: You are a theist if you accept that a particular religion is valid. You are an atheist if you don't. Easy peasy. Philosophies are irrelevant. Natural and biological behavior is irrelevant. Avoiding faith because you love man seems relevant and consistent with atheism. Explaining the origin of the universe is irrelevant. Doing good work is irrelevant. Philanthropy is irrelevant (yes, that seems pretty redundant).

I'm not trying to belittle this philosophy. I know almost nothing about it; just the one paragraph of information presented here. It might be a perfectly wonderful philosophy. It is also atheistic regardless of claims to the contrary, unless more can be presented to disprove its atheism (in which case it would be theistic - either way, it doesn't satisfy question asked in the thread's title).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2013, 03:18 AM
(11-01-2013 03:09 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Quick answer: none.

Long answer: You are a theist if you accept that a particular religion is valid. You are an atheist if you don't. Easy peasy. Philosophies are irrelevant. Natural and biological behavior is irrelevant. Avoiding faith because you love man seems relevant and consistent with atheism. Explaining the origin of the universe is irrelevant. Doing good work is irrelevant. Philanthropy is irrelevant (yes, that seems pretty redundant).

I'm not trying to belittle this philosophy. I know almost nothing about it; just the one paragraph of information presented here. It might be a perfectly wonderful philosophy. It is also atheistic regardless of claims to the contrary, unless more can be presented to disprove its atheism (in which case it would be theistic - either way, it doesn't satisfy question asked in the thread's title).
Perhaps I am shutting it out because what I was able to find already presented some stuff that just smelled of dishonest representation. I see nothing wrong with philosophy... and I agree that avoiding faith is a good thing if it benefits other people. Although he is correct that people personalize their beliefs anyway.
11-01-2013, 03:28 AM
Sure, I didn't say he got anything wrong; how would I know? And I didn't say there's anything wrong with philosophy; I love philosophy. I was merely answering the question posed in the title of the thread.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
11-01-2013, 03:39 AM
(11-01-2013 03:28 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Sure, I didn't say he got anything wrong; how would I know? And I didn't say there's anything wrong with philosophy; I love philosophy. I was merely answering the question posed in the title of the thread.
It's all gravy.

Is gravy atheistic nor theistic?
11-01-2013, 03:46 AM
(11-01-2013 03:39 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 03:28 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Sure, I didn't say he got anything wrong; how would I know? And I didn't say there's anything wrong with philosophy; I love philosophy. I was merely answering the question posed in the title of the thread.
It's all gravy.

Is gravy atheistic nor theistic?
[Image: h0C64B98F]

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
11-01-2013, 04:00 AM
The persons who are neither theist nor atheist but religious, are Drishtantoist. Their scripture is Mangolbarta.
11-01-2013, 04:16 AM
(11-01-2013 04:00 AM)ShaSha1 Wrote:  The persons who are neither theist nor atheist but religious, are Drishtantoist. Their scripture is Mangolbarta.
After reading that, I'm still not sure how you define that as "religious." It seems the very same pattern that Buddhism follows, and many Buddhists are those you could describe in your way as not active theists but not atheist as you seem.

All that so called scripture is, is a set of rules or guidelines to live by. If by religious, you mean a set of moral standards and doctrines, then it's making more sense, but still religious implies more. A set of guidelines is merely a philosophy until it adds a "spiritual" or "deity concept" to the mix.

This feels like equivalent to saying Zen Buddhism is neither theist nor atheist because it teaches to be in the moment and not to focus on non essentialist questions such as if God exists or not.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
11-01-2013, 04:30 AM
(11-01-2013 04:16 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 04:00 AM)ShaSha1 Wrote:  The persons who are neither theist nor atheist but religious, are Drishtantoist. Their scripture is Mangolbarta.
After reading that, I'm still not sure how you define that as "religious." It seems the very same pattern that Buddhism follows, and many Buddhists are those you could describe in your way as not active theists but not atheist as you seem.

All that so called scripture is, is a set of rules or guidelines to live by. If by religious, you mean a set of moral standards and doctrines, then it's making more sense, but still religious implies more. A set of guidelines is merely a philosophy until it adds a "spiritual" or "deity concept" to the mix.

This feels like equivalent to saying Zen Buddhism is neither theist nor atheist because it teaches to be in the moment and not to focus on non essentialist questions such as if God exists or not.
Drishtantoism is an ultramodern Lokayata philosophy of Indian Sub-continent, is founded from Bangladesh by Bengali poet Shobuj Taposh from the beginning of 21st century. The philosophy has stood on some eastern and western philosophical theories like Lokayata (Charvaka), Buddhism, Hinduism, Islamism, Baulism, Existentialism, Pragmatism, Logical Positivism, Individualism etc. and on the literary and artistic theories like Surrealism, Dadaism, Imagism, Futurism, Symbolism etc.
11-01-2013, 04:52 AM
(11-01-2013 04:30 AM)ShaSha1 Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 04:16 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  After reading that, I'm still not sure how you define that as "religious." It seems the very same pattern that Buddhism follows, and many Buddhists are those you could describe in your way as not active theists but not atheist as you seem.

Drishtantoism is an ultramodern Lokayata philosophy of Indian Sub-continent, is founded from Bangladesh by Bengali poet Shobuj Taposh from the beginning of 21st century. The philosophy has stood on some eastern and western philosophical theories like Lokayata (Charvaka), Buddhism, Hinduism, Islamism, Baulism, Existentialism, Pragmatism, Logical Positivism, Individualism etc. and on the literary and artistic theories like Surrealism, Dadaism, Imagism, Futurism, Symbolism etc.

It's all philoso-bull anyway.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
11-01-2013, 11:41 PM
(11-01-2013 03:09 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Quick answer: none.
Try ignostics like myself. (Don't necessarily say the notion of "God" is utter gibberish, but do say that the multitude of definitions in use makes it impossible to answer the existence question without some clarification of which "God" concept is being referred to with the word.)

Back to the OP, how is this new, ultramodern philosophy distinct from secular humanism?

Warning Labels: Long-winded. Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves too seriously.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  This Is How British Atheist Comedians Take-The-Piss Out Of Religion! Ace 1 36 Today 07:42 AM
Last Post: CiderThinker
  Some facepalm moments my mum said to me after finding out I am atheist... TheLogicalAthiest 11 284 23-07-2014 03:05 PM
Last Post: Adrianime
  Newest Accusation For Proof That Atheists Are Evil: Dr. Kevorkian Was Atheist! WindyCityJazz 3 110 22-07-2014 07:54 PM
Last Post: Smercury44
  It takes more faith to be an Atheist TheKetola 40 3,700 18-07-2014 01:29 PM
Last Post: Mr. Slave
  Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library Near 164 15,449 13-07-2014 12:41 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Another convo with a theist =jesse= 6 140 25-06-2014 09:50 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  A Christian's response to"An atheist's critique of the Bible Jeremy E Walker 183 3,148 24-06-2014 04:40 PM
Last Post: Anna