Who are we? Who are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2011, 07:14 PM
RE: Who are we? Who are you?
(30-12-2011 06:33 PM)lucradis Wrote:  It doesn't even really matter where we are on the dawkins scale of disbelief. All that would matter is how we feel about organized religion and the religious wouldn't it?

As far as me the teapot analogy suits me best. But I personally despise organized religion and I have my fair share of issues with the religious themselves. I can't group the religious into one lump sum however as I am aware of differences within religion as far as followers is concerned so I can easily enjoy the company of religious people.
But organized religion should be illegal so far as I'm concerned whether god exists or not. What it is now in all of its incarnations is legal organize crime. I am strongly anti organized religion.
So what does that make me? Aware? Sexy? Who knows the closest title I am afforded is antitheist and I think that is wrong as I am fully capable of liking theists. So.... Anti organized crime? AKA Batman.

I'd rule out Sexy if that's any help in figuring out who you are.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2011, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2011 01:35 AM by ddrew.)
(30-12-2011 05:10 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
Quote:I'm thinking along the Dawkins scale -

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

I'd say I'm somewhere between the 6. and leaning more and more towards the 7.

For most of my life I was a strong 4.
But after being victimized by the christian faith I started to question... really question more and more.. and the more I looked.. the more my findings left me between 6. and 7.

Today I see the religious organizations for the thug like scandalism and greedy pieces of shit for what they really are. For them it's not about God.... it's all about the money... the power.. the control. Religion is the worlds most hypocritical means of organized crime ever assembled in history...

Those mutherfuckers! ... Are you feeling the wave of hate yet? You sensing the strong anger I have stored up inside me?!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
31-12-2011, 12:13 AM
I don't think your penis analogy works, because religion by its nature cannot be kept to oneself except in the most moderate forms, which are really almost some form of pantheism. If you sincerely believe that non-believers are going to suffer eternally in hell, you would be evil not to try to save them! Religion cannot exist purely in private, that's one of the biggest reasons why it has been successful at taking over the minds of so many people.

Matthew 28:19-20: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations.”

As a side note, I've been at almost every point on the Dawkins scale in the last year and a half, starting at 2 and slowly going all the way up to a 6.9.
[+] 2 users Like Ben's post
31-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Roughly 6.99.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
31-12-2011, 02:05 AM
IMO, I don't think anyone can ever claim 1 or 7 because that implies omniscience and infallibility.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-12-2011, 02:12 AM
(31-12-2011 02:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  IMO, I don't think anyone can ever claim 1 or 7 because that implies omniscience and infallibility.

Exactly why I've claimed both in my life.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-12-2011, 02:39 AM
(31-12-2011 02:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  IMO, I don't think anyone can ever claim 1 or 7 because that implies omniscience and infallibility.

Oh, I think you can claim an 8 if you admit a God, and it is us.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-12-2011, 02:51 AM
Quit fucking with my head Girly. Seriously man.
I'm with Kings on this one though. I think as human beings we lack supreme belief. I don't think we have the capacity to ever really say 100% percent anything. Well we say it all the time and we may trick ourselves into thinking it, but I have a hard time believing that we can be perfectly content with any answer. Perfection is unattainable.

Oh and Erx if I were to count out sexy my whole world wouldn't make sense anymore. So what I'm saying is screw you.Wink

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2011, 07:08 AM
(31-12-2011 02:39 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oh, I think you can claim an 8 if you admit a God, and it is us.
All right, all right! I'll read the god damn wiki article! Sjeezz... Cut it out already...
persistent mo fu...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
31-12-2011, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2011 07:23 AM by Erxomai.)
(31-12-2011 02:51 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Quit fucking with my head Girly. Seriously man.
I'm with Kings on this one though. I think as human beings we lack supreme belief. I don't think we have the capacity to ever really say 100% percent anything. Well we say it all the time and we may trick ourselves into thinking it, but I have a hard time believing that we can be perfectly content with any answer. Perfection is unattainable.

Oh and Erx if I were to count out sexy my whole world wouldn't make sense anymore. So what I'm saying is screw you.Wink

I think 1 and 7 are adequate to cover those people at 100%, and I do think there are those who exist on the 1 end for sure, because seriously I was at that 1. I didn't just say I knew 100%, I knew it. I'm not saying I stayed at a 1 100% of the time, but I'd say a good 89% of the time I stayed at the 1 level. And once I became an atheist, I didn't pussyfoot around a 5 or a 6. I went from 1 to 4 over the course of about 7 years but then I just jumped straight to a full on 7.

And according to ddrew and my own calculations, I've ceased to exist, so I won't be able to screw you, unfortunately. Big Grin
(31-12-2011 07:08 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(31-12-2011 02:39 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oh, I think you can claim an 8 if you admit a God, and it is us.
All right, all right! I'll read the god damn wiki article! Sjeezz... Cut it out already...
persistent mo fu...

T_O, It's JUST a Link. You have no obligation to read it. Next thing you know you'll be rubbing gel on your boys at night.Dodgy

~Izel