Who are we? Who are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2012, 04:54 AM
RE: Who are we? Who are you?
I would consider myself a 7. For me I am 100% sure that there is no god through the experiences I have had in life. All the evidence I have looked at indicates there is no higher power in existence and I am willing to say there is no chance a god exists. However, I don't expect anybody to take the evidence and experiences I have encountered and come to the same conclusion.

On a personal level I feel a 1 and 7 can exist but if you are looking to judge everybody by the same standard (which is really tough in my opinion) then you might think differently.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2012, 08:04 AM
RE: Who are we? Who are you?
(03-01-2012 04:18 AM)Infidel Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 03:30 AM)dreamingfifi Wrote:  I never really saw a need to define and divide us into types. Dividing us will be, well, dividing. We're stronger if we don't care what brand of atheists we are. The moment we start dividing ourselves into "strong atheists" and "weak atheists" we build a hierarchy and a way to exclude others.

That's what a good deal of religions do, and it has made them extremely isolationist and frail. It's actually thanks to the hierarchies that so many religions and splintered and fallen apart - though they grant temporary power to those with the greatest rank in the hierarchy. (Think of Luther) As the structures of the religions fall apart, more and more people start to doubt the authorities, and join us in Atheism.

Let's not make the same mistake that they have.
I agree with that. There is power in unity, but division only causes kaos and confusion. I think I would also agree with Richard Dawkins, he is to inteligent to list himself as a 7. That would be like saying we have all of the answers of the universe. I would list myself as 6.8 on his scale. If it were not so easy to prove the gods I have looked at false, I would be much lower on the list. I still believe there were many great seekers who may not have found all of the answers, but they were on the right track. Unfortunately religion itself might have forced them unto the wrong track. I was once a 1, like the hell bent preacher, but that was a journey with mountains and valleys, highs and lows.

I agree that Christianity is riddled with splinters and schisms, and is probably weaker as a result of it - but still incredibly strong here in America...

There are some interesting studies I've been reading since raising the question, simply because it gets to the root of identity and self-classifying.

The point here was, if a person tells you they are Catholic - there are a host of views one can extrapolate from that single piece of information - views on abortion, views on belief, possibly even to the point of understanding political affiliation (most certainly in the case of a Southern Baptist!).

If someone says they are an atheist, there is no corollary - people may let their prejudices, or presuppositions fill in the blanks (i.e., you worship Satan, you eat babies, you are anti-American, etc...).

Largely through participating in on-line forums such as this one, and reading the interesting viewpoints of people on here, it is clear to me that a one-size fits all "atheism" isn't an accurate descriptor. Whether that "weakens" us, or whether people even want to acknowledge an additional qualifier, it is simply a way of recognizing diversity among none believers - that atheism alone is simply an umbrella term that may or may not unite us.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post