Poll: who was the most important scientist in the history of mankind?
Einstein
Newton
Bohr
Pasteur
Galileo
Kepler
Darwin
Curie
Heisenberg
Lavoisier
Someone else
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Who are your favorite scientists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Who are your favorite scientists
I´d like to hear some of your perspectives about modern science, you´re opinion on the importance of it and a list of your favorite philosophers, psycologists and of course scientists.

My favorite would be

Darwin
Newton
Goethe
Einstein
Dirac
Freud
curie
pasteur
Galileo
Kepler
Heisenberg

to name just a few but there are of course more historical figures i´d like to meet like

mozart
jesus (if he historically actually existed)
hitler
franklin
da vinci

etc. ...

so name a few you think had tremendes influence of modern civilisation

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2010, 05:37 PM
RE: Who are your favorite scientists
Newton is definitely the most important.
Darwin in second IMO.

As for my favorite scientist, though, Carl Sagan by light years.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
18-10-2010, 07:32 PM
I'd put Galileo up there as he took a lot of personal risk in his quest for truth.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
19-10-2010, 12:27 AM
I put Darwin first because it took a lot of guts to publish his ground shaking book. If He hadn't done it then, it may have take hundreds of years for someone else to do a similar work.
19-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Darwin waited years before he published his works, though, and did not do it until towards the end of life. Same with Copernicus. Galileo got right up in the Church's face and kept on throwing mud at them .... until they subtly explained to him the facts of life (and death).

He was probably convinced by the fact that the Church burned Giordano Bruno at the stake a few years earlier, but he sure gave it his best shot.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
19-10-2010, 07:55 AM

Despite my enormous admiration for Newton (i'm a physical scientist), I voted for Darwin. His ideas remain the most important and revolutionary in life sciences, still the cornerstone of biological science. Newton was the same for physical science in his day, and was a giant of mathematics as well, but his ideas have been superceded by Einstein, who is clearly also a giant, but not of the same rank as Newton was in his day.

I would also have voted for Edward Lorenz, the meteorologist who was the most important pioneer in chaos theory and nonlinear dynamics, which has become important not just in meteorology but in all of physics and in life sciences, as well. He should have been awarded the Nobel Prize, but the Nobel committees automatically deny the physics award to anyone outside of a few pre-chosen subdisciplines in physics.
Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2010, 12:40 PM
(19-10-2010 07:55 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Despite my enormous admiration for Newton (i'm a physical scientist), I voted for Darwin. His ideas remain the most important and revolutionary in life sciences, still the cornerstone of biological science. Newton was the same for physical science in his day, and was a giant of mathematics as well, but his ideas have been superceded by Einstein, who is clearly also a giant, but not of the same rank as Newton was in his day.

I would also have voted for Edward Lorenz, the meteorologist who was the most important pioneer in chaos theory and nonlinear dynamics, which has become important not just in meteorology but in all of physics and in life sciences, as well. He should have been awarded the Nobel Prize, but the Nobel committees automatically deny the physics award to anyone outside of a few pre-chosen subdisciplines in physics.

yeah sorry i also wanted to include " somebody else " to the list but it was to late. I´m sorry for that but you are welcome to nominate or mention others here in the forum.

besides, darwin didn´t just completely revolutionise modern day biology but also psychology! We´re now able to explain so much more than we were before evolution. For example why we show our canine teeth when we are mad at somebody, why so many people are afraid of height or spiders, why we like to orientate our position of sleep to the door no matter where in the room we are or other things in biology like atavisms, why our claws (finger nails) are so pathetic and why every hair in our body has a muscle even though that´s completely useless...
you know, things that simply can´t be explained by creationism

but i should have also allowed multiple choice because different people have made differnt contributes in different fields of study, where they became icons of it

Darwin = biology, psychology
freud = psychology
newton = physics
Euler (eventhough i don´t agree with his religous views) = math
Lavoisier = chemistry

besides after i just mentioned Euler, does anyone of you know a good atheistic mathematician because i just got a bit irritated after i read an article, blaiming (who would have thought) atheists (since mathematicians are apperantely getting more and more atheistic) for the fact that there were no big contributions to math since the 1950s even though they argue in the very same argument that most mathematicians are still believers and only people in "softer" regions of science turn atheistic... (i know, theistic logic)
so yeah if somebody could name a few (I´m sure dirac and hawking were/are good at math but i also believe that they were mainly physicists...)

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
19-10-2010, 12:52 PM
(19-10-2010 12:40 PM)Germanatheist007 Wrote:  yeah sorry i also wanted to include " somebody else " to the list but it was to late. I´m sorry for that but you are welcome to nominate or mention others here in the forum.

Added another option just for you. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
19-10-2010, 11:01 PM
(19-10-2010 06:43 AM)BnW Wrote:  Darwin waited years before he published his works, though, and did not do it until towards the end of life.

That part I knew. I also heard that there was another man doing similar work to Darwin who quit and went back to his church and rejected his finding because they conflicted with his beliefs. I don't remeber his name.
20-10-2010, 01:41 AM

(19-10-2010 12:40 PM)Germanatheist007 Wrote:  Darwin = biology, psychology
freud = psychology
newton = physics
Euler (eventhough i don´t agree with his religous views) = math
Lavoisier = chemistry

besides after i just mentioned Euler, does anyone of you know a good atheistic mathematician ... if somebody could name a few (I´m sure dirac and hawking were/are good at math but i also believe that they were mainly physicists...)
Mathematicians of significance

Leonhard Euler <http://www.pdmi.ras.ru/EIMI/EulerBio.html>
Pierre Simon de Laplace <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Simon_Laplace>
Kurt Godel <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_G%C3%B6del>
Alan Turing <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing>
Benoit Mandelbrot <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beno%C3%AEt_Mandelbrot>
Joseph Louis Lagrange <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Louis_Lagrange>
Gottfried Leibnitz <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottfried_Leibniz>

to name a few of my faves.
(19-10-2010 12:40 PM)Germanatheist007 Wrote:  i just got a bit irritated after i read an article, blaiming (who would have thought) atheists (since mathematicians are apperantely getting more and more atheistic) for the fact that there were no big contributions to math since the 1950s even though they argue in the very same argument that most mathematicians are still believers and only people in "softer" regions of science turn atheistic... (i know, theistic logic)
I'm not sure of the dates but Mandelbrot's fractals and Lorenz's nonlinear dynamics are pretty important contributions to mathematics since 1950. Hence, I don't think the article has a leg to stand on ... ignoring any incredibly stupid attempt to blame atheism for something else!
Quote this message in a reply