Who built the Ark Encounter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 02:17 PM
RE: Who built the Ark Encounter?
(06-03-2017 09:01 AM)OutLoudAtheist Wrote:  Howdy folks!

I know for the regular readers/contributers of this forum, you're probably well aware that Ken Ham created a "life like" size Noah's Ark. It's a christian amusement park that used 62 million dollars of a TIF (tax increment financing) loan. This means that if the Ark Encounter fails, the Kentucky tax payers swallow the debt.

They never should have had to pay that loan up front, but what's done is done. I'm curious to see how long this Ark will stay "afloat" (*snort hehe*)

It's only a matter of time before it goes belly up, and the local taxpayers foot the bill.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropolo...-expected/

Disappointing theists since 1968
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like A. Secular Human's post
06-03-2017, 02:37 PM
(06-03-2017 09:54 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  [Image: hqdefault.jpg]

These people will gladly fork over their pennies. Slap the word Jesus on it, and a whole bunch of suckers will line up :/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2336...ure_Ready_

You may want to find a cheap copy of that book, Rapture Ready!: Adventures in the Parallel Universe of Christian Pop Culture. It reminds me exactly of what you just said; there's even a chapter where he goes to a tradeshow for Christian retailers and meets the guy who made the Almighty Heroes (and also had a hand, if memory serves, in making GI Joe), who specifically tells him that his main reason for doing so was to make money off the hordes of Christians who will throw money at substandard products due to those products being Christian.

Other interesting adventures in the book include:
  • Being a Jew who ends up performing in a Passion play.
  • Interviewing people involved in Ultimate Christian Wrestling...a wrestling evangelism group.
  • Discussions with Christian artists about the issues with Christian radio and how you can't get on without enough JPM (Jesus Per Minute).
  • Anti-evolution museums!
  • Bibleman! (He's like Christian Batman with a lightsaber!)
  • He meets people railing against IVF as unholy, which is the only time in the book he gets truly angry with anyone, because that's how he and his wife were finally able to have kids.
  • And going to a Hell House with Jay Bakker (the liberal pastor son of notorious televangelists Jim and Tammy), who is so shaken up he has to have a cigarette afterwards, while he literally quakes in place outside.

Sorry to be like "must share shiny book"! Also loved the OP video...at first it made me cringe though, as the Brother Noah song is exactly the one my cousin and her Baptist minister husband sent me from the Ark Encounter.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
06-03-2017, 05:13 PM
When it does fail, I'd like to see a secular group buy it at auction and set up a Separation of Church and State museum, showcasing thousands of ways (including the building itself) why government and religion have failed when allowed to mix.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
06-03-2017, 05:55 PM
(06-03-2017 02:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 09:54 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  [Image: hqdefault.jpg]

These people will gladly fork over their pennies. Slap the word Jesus on it, and a whole bunch of suckers will line up :/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2336...ure_Ready_

You may want to find a cheap copy of that book, Rapture Ready!: Adventures in the Parallel Universe of Christian Pop Culture. It reminds me exactly of what you just said; there's even a chapter where he goes to a tradeshow for Christian retailers and meets the guy who made the Almighty Heroes (and also had a hand, if memory serves, in making GI Joe), who specifically tells him that his main reason for doing so was to make money off the hordes of Christians who will throw money at substandard products due to those products being Christian.

Other interesting adventures in the book include:
  • Being a Jew who ends up performing in a Passion play.
  • Interviewing people involved in Ultimate Christian Wrestling...a wrestling evangelism group.
  • Discussions with Christian artists about the issues with Christian radio and how you can't get on without enough JPM (Jesus Per Minute).
  • Anti-evolution museums!
  • Bibleman! (He's like Christian Batman with a lightsaber!)
  • He meets people railing against IVF as unholy, which is the only time in the book he gets truly angry with anyone, because that's how he and his wife were finally able to have kids.
  • And going to a Hell House with Jay Bakker (the liberal pastor son of notorious televangelists Jim and Tammy), who is so shaken up he has to have a cigarette afterwards, while he literally quakes in place outside.

Sorry to be like "must share shiny book"! Also loved the OP video...at first it made me cringe though, as the Brother Noah song is exactly the one my cousin and her Baptist minister husband sent me from the Ark Encounter.

I came across a Bibleman video recently. There are no words....no words. Facepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
06-03-2017, 07:10 PM
(06-03-2017 05:13 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  When it does fail, I'd like to see a secular group buy it at auction and set up a Separation of Church and State museum, showcasing thousands of ways (including the building itself) why government and religion have failed when allowed to mix.

> Brilliant!
06-03-2017, 08:25 PM
(06-03-2017 12:41 PM)mordant Wrote:  I give it 2 or 3 years, max, unless it gins up some church-sponsored subsidies to keep the doors open. I can't see it being long-term sustainable just from admissions revenue.

Maybe he can float it on the ocean and book cruises.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
06-03-2017, 08:46 PM
I will add that to my list, it sounds right up my alley.

I am currently reading "The Infiltrator' about a man who joins different fringe and religious groups.
So far he has joined the Promise Keepers, a teen abstinence conference and a group of Neo-Nazis.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
06-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Just think- Ken Ham could have spent all that money (and the money spent on that other debacle) helping the poor and afflicted. *Raised Eyebrow Emoji*.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
07-03-2017, 12:21 AM
(06-03-2017 05:13 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  When it does fail, I'd like to see a secular group buy it at auction and set up a Separation of Church and State museum, showcasing thousands of ways (including the building itself) why government and religion have failed when allowed to mix.

I doubt it will fail. There'll be interviews on TV featuring Ken Ham with his head in his hands, the message will go out that Atheists Might Buy The Ark Encounter To Poke Fun At Christianity, and the donations will flood in. He knew a sure win when he was constructing it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-03-2017, 12:49 AM
It isn't located that far from the Ohio River. I forsee this vast quantity of stoopid ending its life as a navigational hazard.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post