Who did it better? Original artist vs cover artist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Who did it better? Original artist vs cover artist.
I always flinch a little when someone says, "Have you heard the new song 'Behind Blue Eyes' by Fred Durst? I love it! He's such a creative artist." Art should be accredited to the artist. But honestly, sometimes the remake/cover is better.

So who did it better?

Original artists will be on the left.

I'll start with an easy one IMO.

Song: Man Who Sold the World

VS

My Pick: Nirvana

-Bowie has always kind of creeped me out. It's a good song but it's chock full of an erotic sounding 70's coke binge vibe. I just want to wear a purple latex jumpsuit and kiss the nearest guy. Nirvana makes it more somber, more natural.

-------

Next,

Song: Mad World

VS

My Pick: Gary Jules

-While I've always like the unique sound of TfF, the lyrics of this song don't match the strange upbeat dance music. It sounds sped up with forced drum rolls.

-------

Song: Black Betty

VS

My Pick: Ram Jam

-I believe Spiderbait has the better intro with the banjo, but you can't beat old school guitar played by random 70's dudes in awesome attire jamming in their yard.

-------

Song: Higher Ground

VS

My Pick: RHCP

- I hate to keep picking the newer cover song, but it's like RHCP heard this song and went, "You need to crank this up to about 1000 intensity and lay down a sick ass bass line."

-------

Song: Bad Company

VS

My Pick: Bad Company

-I wanted to throw in another one where the original was better than the cover for balance. This is one of those songs that needs that old, record player era feel to it to complete the tone.

-------

Few more quick ones.

Turn the Page - Seger vs Metallica : Seger
All Along the Watchtower - Dylan vs Hendrix : Hendrix
Any Elvis song ever - Elvis vs Black People : Black People (Elvis was the original wangster)

Finally, I don't want to hear a thing about Johnny Cash and Hurt. The song wasn't very good when NIN did it, and just because you miss your grandpa doesn't make it "the best cover song ever."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Buddy Christ's post
08-07-2013, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 07:37 PM by Elesjei.)
RE: Who did it better? Original artist vs cover artist.
I think a great cover is one that is a creative rethinking of a song that employs the cover artist's own style while closely keeping the spirit of the original. Many times the cover is too similar (where the artists is basically just playing the original note for note) or simply loses the spirit - the sound without the soul, if that makes any sense.

One I found recently was the cover of Tears For Fears' Shout by Disturbed. I think it is an excellent example of what a cover should be. It employs the unique sound of Disturbed without losing anything in translation.

Tears For Fears

Disturbed

Also, Fred Durst mutilated Behind Blue Eyes. It just gets worse as it goes. But then, he mutilates music in general. I think the only reason his awful band became popular was through market manipulation - the record company forcing popularity by paying radio stations to include it on their playlists and such. Play something enough and people will talk about it. With a big enough audience, like with Justin Bieber, you can throw out crap and folks will eat it up and thank you for it. They don't care because you're the Platinum artist. Tongue

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
08-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Buddy, take everything you picked, Flip it, you'll have my answer. Lol

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
08-07-2013, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 08:10 PM by ridethespiral.)
Oh man. I actually think I agree on all of these.

Bowies verses are too 'wet' with effects for modern tastes but the Nirvana one is timeless, and I'm not even a big Nirvana fan.
Jones' Mad World has that vocal strain and that ads so much depth.
The Black Betty cover ads nothing and just sort of cheapens it for use in strip clubs.
I used to love to play the RHCP version of Higher Ground trying to match Fleas slap speed
What I said about the Black Betty cover better except w/ more drinking and driving and less strip club.

Disturbed, I think his vocals bring enough to the table to help it rise above the fact that it is a metal cover.

Tempted to do an all Bob Dylan set (because everyone covers him), but I had to get these up here:

Vs.

Winner = Levon and The Band, I could listen to this simple little 3rd chord song all damn day when he does it.

---------------------

Vs.

Winner = TOOL, I have to go with the cover again, this one was close but the Tool version is just so dynamic and haunting and really hits you in the guts when it kicks in + Danny Carrey.
---------------------

Vs.

Winner = Rage, it's Bob's genius but it was there brooding through 35 years of injustice, waiting impatiently for RATM.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
08-07-2013, 08:17 PM
You people. Love me some Chili Peppers, but they are not Stevie Wonder.

I'll throw out the stonkingly obvious, since no one else has yet - Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower. (I can only assume I don't need to post that for you!)

The second best version of that song is this one, by the way:

... this is my signature!
09-07-2013, 07:47 AM
(08-07-2013 08:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  You people. Love me some Chili Peppers, but they are not Stevie Wonder.

I'll throw out the stonkingly obvious, since no one else has yet - Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower. (I can only assume I don't need to post that for you!)

The second best version of that song is this one, by the way:

Every version of All Along The Watchtower is good, even Dave Matthews.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2013, 10:31 AM
I have two problems with this thread.

One; I do not want to have the skills you youngsters have to embed music videos to show my point.

Two; I have an entirely different understanding of what "cover record" (I know the OP uses "cover artist") means. As a child of the 50's and 60's my understanding of a "cover record" is that of a white singer/group performing an african-american's singer/group song, often very closely to the the original performers style, knowing that it would sell better to the predominant ethnic group. It is not simply one performer singing another performers song it is an entirely different thing. Singers have used others music for a long time "cover records" means something very different to me.

Although I am not a big fan of Elvis Presley I have to say that to my knowledge he only did two "cover records", "Hound Dog" and "That's Alright". Originally done by Big Mama Thornton and Arthur Crudup respectively. Elvis by the nature of the music he sang also opened up many avenues for black performers in Rock and Roll, which should be understood.

By the way fuck Bob Dylan, Hendrix has him beat all to hell with "All Along the Watchtower", and Amy Winehouse's version of "Tonight Your Mine" is superb.
10-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana

The Weeknd - D.D

My Choice: (some may disagree but) The Weeknd definitely did a great job on this.

Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box

Lana Del Rey - Heart Shaped Box

My Choice: DEFINITELY Nirvana. Lana's voice is appealing to me, but not at all for this song.

3OH!3 - Starstruck

Marina and the Diamonds - Starstruck

My Choice: Marina and the Diamonds. Marina transformed a song, originally repetitive and upbeat, into something slow and actually beautiful.

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
13-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Gwen Stafani - What you waiting for

Marina and the Diamonds - What you waiting for

My choice: Marina and the Diamonds

Justin Bieber - Boyfriend

Marina and the Diamonds - Boyfriend

My choice: Marina and the Diamonds (again)

As you can see, I have a reason for loving Marina as much as I do. She turns the most ridiculous pop songs into, well, this. Big Grin

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
(08-07-2013 07:51 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  

Vs.

Winner = TOOL, I have to go with the cover again, this one was close but the Tool version is just so dynamic and haunting and really hits you in the guts when it kicks in + Danny Carrey.

That scream at near the end is epic, too.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel