Who did it better? Original artist vs cover artist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
RE: Who did it better? Original artist vs cover artist.
(04-08-2013 01:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 12:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Song: Hallelujah

VS

My Pick: Buckley. Dude was dead months later and sings it like he saw that shit coming. ... Cohen yet lives.

Cohen for the win. Buckley's interpretation is too hymn-like, and he picked not the best verses.

Cohen sings it with the irony he wrote in to it.
It will always be Rufus Wainwright for me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
04-08-2013, 07:12 PM
(04-08-2013 05:41 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 01:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  Cohen for the win. Buckley's interpretation is too hymn-like, and he picked not the best verses.

Cohen sings it with the irony he wrote in to it.
It will always be Rufus Wainwright for me

Gotta go with BrokenQuill on this one.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Astronomy

Original by Blue Oyster Cult

Cover by Metallica

Verdict BOC Even though Metallica's cover is very clean and Hetfield nails the vocals the raw version that BOC brings just has more feel to it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
04-08-2013, 07:55 PM
(04-08-2013 02:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 01:30 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Cover: Pentatonix & Lindsey Stirling
VS
Original: Imagine Dragons

Song: Radioactive
My pick is the cover, there's something just perfect about that violin solo by Lindsey

Never heard of it before so Ima gonna have to check it out.

VS

My Pick: I'm going with BrokenQuill here, that little girl with the violin bow scares the shit outta me, and the only other time I've experienced fingering like that is when my urologist is examining my prostrate.

I love lindsey stirling as well, but I gotta say I disagree with your vote Smile the remake sounds like something that was remixed in a basement somewhere. The vocals aren't as strong as Imagine Dragons and they remind me very strongly of Backstreetboys. Their version is just not as interesting to listen to vocally. The only redeeming feature being the violin. Amazing as always. Actually, maybe Imagine Dragons should discuss a collaboration of their own with her.

In my opinion only of course.
04-08-2013, 08:07 PM
(04-08-2013 07:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 02:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Never heard of it before so Ima gonna have to check it out.

VS

My Pick: I'm going with BrokenQuill here, that little girl with the violin bow scares the shit outta me, and the only other time I've experienced fingering like that is when my urologist is examining my prostrate.

I love lindsey stirling as well, but I gotta say I disagree with your vote Smile the remake sounds like something that was remixed in a basement somewhere. The vocals aren't as strong as Imagine Dragons and they remind me very strongly of Backstreetboys. Their version is just not as interesting to listen to vocally. The only redeeming feature being the violin. Amazing as always. Actually, maybe Imagine Dragons should discuss a collaboration of their own with her.

I looked around and found Lindsey Stirling's remake of the Evanescence song My Immortal, her violin totally takes the place of the vocals, you don't miss them...excellent instrumental cover.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
04-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Heres a tricky one Nativity in Black

Black Sabbath

Primus featuring Ozzy Osbourne

This is almost unfair how much Les rocks this song.

Verdict Primus

04-08-2013, 10:37 PM
(03-08-2013 09:23 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  

To me there's no contest, Nightwish kicks ass at any rate and here they took a so-so song and made it great.

I was going to post this one, actually. I went to a Nighwish/Kamelot concert (absolutely amazing BTW, even though neither group had their original lead singers) last year and they had their go to guy playing the uilleann pipes, instead of Tuomas playing the keyboard for the flute sounding parts. "Goosebumps" does not even begin to describe what that song gave me, even with Annette singing (her last concert, I feel lucky) it was just amazing. Hell, even just remembering it is giving me goosebumps. Definitely better with Tarja, but to me that song is about much more than the singing. It's an all around fantastic song, and I love the original too.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
04-08-2013, 11:38 PM
(04-08-2013 08:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Heres a tricky one Nativity in Black

Black Sabbath

Verdict Primus

Comparing Ozzy to Ozzy, I'd have to go with the Sabbath version. He sounds more natural, raw, ...like an actual human voice. In the Primus recording, Ozzy sounds completely over-produced–as if the engineer needed to wash out bad vocals. There would be no need to do that with the Ozzman. Perhaps it was just an over zealous man at the soundboard or an audio fad.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
05-08-2013, 12:51 AM
(04-08-2013 08:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 07:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I love lindsey stirling as well, but I gotta say I disagree with your vote Smile the remake sounds like something that was remixed in a basement somewhere. The vocals aren't as strong as Imagine Dragons and they remind me very strongly of Backstreetboys. Their version is just not as interesting to listen to vocally. The only redeeming feature being the violin. Amazing as always. Actually, maybe Imagine Dragons should discuss a collaboration of their own with her.

I looked around and found Lindsey Stirling's remake of the Evanescence song My Immortal, her violin totally takes the place of the vocals, you don't miss them...excellent instrumental cover.

No just no! I love Lindsey, I really do. But I would mow her down with an industrial tractor to propose marriage to Amy Lee!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2013, 03:57 AM
(04-08-2013 11:38 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 08:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Heres a tricky one Nativity in Black

Black Sabbath

Verdict Primus

Comparing Ozzy to Ozzy, I'd have to go with the Sabbath version. He sounds more natural, raw, ...like an actual human voice. In the Primus recording, Ozzy sounds completely over-produced–as if the engineer needed to wash out bad vocals. There would be no need to do that with the Ozzman. Perhaps it was just an over zealous man at the soundboard or an audio fad.

That was his style at the time, he had an entire double album where every song was awash in effects and the like. Anyway for me I took Ozzy v Ozzy as a wash so it really came down to Les Claypool just killing it on bass. Thats probably the only time a Sabbath Remake can top the originals however.