Who do you think is the BEST singer of all time and why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2011, 02:48 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2011 12:41 PM by Green.)

Who do you think is the BEST singer of all time and why?
For me, its Celine Dion. Nobody can beat her and nobody will. She's a powerful singer, she sings with soul and you can feel her music. She is really one of a kind.

Americans are crazy. They have this fascination with throwing their shoes on stage. I've been to a lot of shows in me life, some good and some bad. But I was never moved to take off me shoes and throw it at the lead singer.
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2011, 03:12 AM
RE: Who do you think is the BEST singer of all time and why?
Luciano Pavarotti. I am basing this on the power, range, tone and control that he has with his voice. I have heard no one that was better.

I am not a opera fan, but I do listen to it at times.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2011, 12:52 AM

Maynard James Keenan... for both biased and genuine reasons.

The genuine reasons listed below:
Has an amazing vocal range
Writes amazingly deep and thought-provoking lyrics
Is an incredible performer
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Diclonius's post
25-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Roy Orbison. Even Elvis thought that Roy was the best singer in the business. When I saw him live (I was 12) he was fabulous, but my Dad said he was far better in his prime (20 yrs earlier) with an operatic voice that needed no amplification. Also a great songwriter, completely original, and the stories behind his most famous songs (most of them tragic) gave them devastating personal meaning. I still don't know how he ever sang them live without breaking down.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
25-03-2011, 02:38 AM
(03-03-2011 12:52 AM)Diclonius Wrote:  Maynard James Keenan... for both biased and genuine reasons.

I... I want to argue with you, but Perfect Circle's "Orestes" is one of the most moving, tear jerking songs ever for me.

Off the top of my head...

[Range]
Myles Kennedy
-from the band Alter Bridge and the movie Rock Star.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhbcdbkeXY (posted it before)

[Emotional]
Tie: Neil Young and Justin Furstenfeld
-Neil is the critically acclaimed "best singer who can't sing," but just watching his performances, you can tell he puts so much into his songs that he forgets there's an audience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVC2cszdTao

-And Justin Furstenfeld (Blue October) seems on the verge of tears through most of his songs. Every time he performs the songs written for friends who overdosed, you would think that they just died before the show with the amount of emotion he puts into each performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7SMEfyAWfo

[Power]
Steve Perry
-Steve Perry's voice once powered an entire city for a year. When Chuck Norris' fists faced off against Steve Perry's voice, the term "when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was birthed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMD8hBsA-RI

[Unique]
Axl Rose
-It's like the screeching of tires mixed with a thousand cats being strangled, but damn it it's good. And not a single musician out there can duplicate it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmAY059TTY

[Personal Choice]
Chris Cornell
-I grew up with Soundgarden cassette tapes and 20 some odd years later, I still hold SuperUnknown to be the greatest album ever made. His voice is just so calming, nostalgic, powerful, and melodic along with 20 other adjectives that would be a disservice to list and break perfection down into imperfect descriptions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmIqIVxUuKs

Worth 2 links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU4L6THYAbM

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
25-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Uhm , guys , did you check those links ?
I think this is a bot you're talking to - still , I may be wrong.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
25-03-2011, 09:55 AM
(25-03-2011 06:50 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Uhm , guys , did you check those links ?

Believe it or not, bots are not incapable of making threads that catch someones' interest. Sometimes they have something else to offer than just handbags and Vietnamese links.

I'm not a singer fan, I especially don't like pop singers, autotune, singers without a good band behind them (most solo artists), metal singers who can't sing live, metal singers who sing like girls and deathcore ''singers'' (the ones who make pig-like sounds lie ''squiiiiick!''). Mathias Nygård from Turisas is the only singer I love, he's perfect on the new album 'Stand up and fight', he's not a 'one voice man', and he's good live.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
25-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Bob Crosby, because he doesn't have to scream to keep your attention... and he doesn't use auto-tune like all the artists nowadays.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
25-03-2011, 02:58 PM
(25-03-2011 06:50 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Uhm , guys , did you check those links ?

I thought you were talking about me for a second.

And of course I'm not a b... [*error*]... Invalid Parameters... ///dump data file/// 001011010001 /// crash aborted ///
///recompiling source code/// initializing Christ Bot 2000 /// enter command:

...bot.

Whether she is or isn't, she served the purpose of an actual person and stimulated a conversation.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
26-03-2011, 06:16 AM
The future is a scary place - LOL Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes gaglamesh731's post