Who do you think is the BEST singer of all time and why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2012, 05:37 PM
RE: Who do you think is the BEST singer of all time and why?
Ya know, Freddie Mercury never did it for me.

I tend to think the best singers are the ones who can make me feel something, and that's not easy to do with music. I'm surprised no ones mentioned Eddie Vedder. Ever heard that dude sing live, with nothing but a guitar? Can bring me to tears.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
05-06-2012, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 09:39 PM by aurora.)
Can't pick just one cos there are too many Yes

However, Freddie Mercury was awesome (ya know opposite's attract, Stark! Wink ) and I just love KD Lang.

I've always loved Inva Mula as Diva Plavalaguna singing "Oh, giusto cielo!...Il dolce suono" in The Fifth Element movie. Now THAT'S a freakin' voice!!!

Talking of KD....

Brings tears to your eyes Sadcryface

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
08-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Aurora, I can't see the video (blocked at my work place), but I presume I know what song from 5th element you are referring to. I just gotta warn you, that is not her voice alone, it is a combination of her voice and a flute. I've spoken to some opera singers about that part of her song and they have confirmed that there is a flute involved. They just synchronised it all so perfect, you don't even notice the transitions and the difference.

I wonder if there is any stupid thing I don't know...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-06-2012, 04:12 AM
(08-06-2012 04:02 AM)Filox Wrote:  Aurora, I can't see the video (blocked at my work place), but I presume I know what song from 5th element you are referring to. I just gotta warn you, that is not her voice alone, it is a combination of her voice and a flute. I've spoken to some opera singers about that part of her song and they have confirmed that there is a flute involved. They just synchronised it all so perfect, you don't even notice the transitions and the difference.

I wonder if there is any stupid thing I don't know...

Smile
Yes, Filox, there are small parts that are not her voice but I've heard her sing other songs and she really has an amazing voice Smile but I still just love that particular song as it uses nearly all of her 'register'.
The video I posted is KD Lang's version of Hallelujah at the Logie Awards here in Oz in May 2010. She's also a brilliant singer imo.
So much passion!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
I'll go with Birgit Nilsson, phenomenal opera singer.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Bitch please...
Freddie Fucking Mercury!

Dude is so good, christians say he is in heaven, even though he was a bisexual!

"Who want's to live forever." Brings me to tears, and so does Bohemian rhapsody! "Sombody to Love" is another good one!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
20-06-2012, 05:02 AM
I can't understand how I never mentioned Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin. Or Ian Gillan from Deep Purple. Both are great singers with fantastic voices for Rock music.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
24-08-2012, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 03:03 PM by Human Being.)
All-time? Well, we've only had recorded music for the past 100 years or so, unfortunately, so we have to pick from that era. When it comes to singers from the last century, no one comes even close to the virtuosity of Ella Fitzgerald. No one. Not a single person mentioned comes even close. Sorry. You're all wrong, and most of you could use to expand your musical horizons.

Don't believe me?

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
24-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Personally, I'd have to say Devin Townsend. There are hundreds of others I love, but Devin was the first one who really struck me with his vocals.

Just listen to "Love?" by Strapping Young Lad. It says it all.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 03:00 PM
(24-05-2011 02:14 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Bob Dylan. Just kidding! Still like his music though. Too many good singers to list, it's impossible to pick an of all time.

Kidding? He certainly is one of the greatest rock-vocalists of all time, easily in the top five. Even outside of rock, I would place him among the likes of Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra in terms of artistry and influence.

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes Human Being's post