Who do you think is the most overrated US president ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2016, 04:28 AM
RE: Who do you think is the most overrated US president ever?
Speaking from overseas Bush Jr scared the fuck out of us and Clinton made us laugh. I don't think I'll ever forget his pink face on TV confessing his sins Laugh out load

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-01-2016, 06:01 PM
(26-01-2016 04:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 10:02 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  William Harrison. He was president for a month before he withered and died.
That's why he's totally the most underrated.

He's certainly up at top on the chart of presidents who screwed up stuff the least.

Good point.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
28-01-2016, 06:41 PM
With my concern for healthcare in general, it's difficult to say anyone but Reagan especially with his religious zealot tendencies. A saving point for him is that he ultimately was responsible for the economic destabilization of the Soviet Union which ultimately destroyed the iron curtain.

As for Bush Sr., after reading his and national security advisor Scowcroft's book "A world transformed" , I hold a somewhat better opinion of him - there were really difficult decisions that had to be made and had the Iraq war not been started, the US (and Europe) might have faced an economic slump. As for his son (and grandson), I've seen bonobos with more developed cognitive abilities.
29-01-2016, 12:11 AM
(21-01-2016 08:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 07:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Lincoln.

You must be thinking of Lincoln, Rhode Island. That town is definitely overrated.

lmao!!!

Be true to yourself. Heart
29-01-2016, 05:32 AM
(28-01-2016 06:41 PM)Naridar Wrote:  With my concern for healthcare in general, it's difficult to say anyone but Reagan especially with his religious zealot tendencies. A saving point for him is that he ultimately was responsible for the economic destabilization of the Soviet Union which ultimately destroyed the iron curtain.

As for Bush Sr., after reading his and national security advisor Scowcroft's book "A world transformed" , I hold a somewhat better opinion of him - there were really difficult decisions that had to be made and had the Iraq war not been started, the US (and Europe) might have faced an economic slump. As for his son (and grandson), I've seen bonobos with more developed cognitive abilities.

Regan didn't cause the Soviet Union to collapse.

Communism did.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-01-2016, 05:35 AM
(21-01-2016 08:01 PM)I Am Wrote:  No strong opinion here, but I want to offer Washington. He gets a lot of credit for being first, but imagine if he had come a little later and behaved the same way - crushing tax protests with military force, enacting genocide plans against native people, and so on. He was not all cherry trees and wood teeth.

He's actually no cherry trees and wood teeth, those are modern legends with no grounding in fact.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
29-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Lincoln . Lincoln was called a dictator and a tyrant by many Northerners for his blatant abuse of the constitution. Suspending habeas corpus, blockading Southern ports, sending soldiers into battle without a declaration of war — with disdain. And, as African-American historian Lerone Bennett, Jr. has shown, Lincoln was hardly the savior of black America.
History, has been greatly misrepresented. It has been characterized as a glorious conflict to free the slaves, which I guess sounds a lot better than saying more than 600,000 people died as a result of money and power the real root of that war. ves and preserve the Union I would do that. If I could free none of the slaves and preserve the Union I would do that. If I could free some slaves and leave others is place and save the Union, I would do that also. That quote came directly from a history textbook I used at James Madison University.
And what did preserve the union mean? It meant preserving economic and taxation authority over the resources of states of the South by an overbearing central government that knew best for everybody. (Sound familiar?)
Its also is well-documented that Lincoln refused to admit blacks into the Northern Army, because he thought they would be unreliable soldiers who couldnt be trusted to care for their rifles and other equipment. And when African-Americans finally were recruited to serve, mainly due to the North needing manpower, they were assigned to segregated units.
In the 1850s Lincoln had advocated sending freed slaves to Liberia. He was considered a racist.

Here he says:

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the
institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have
no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." - 1860

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not
either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without
freeing any slave I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some
and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery,
and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union." - Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862.

Lincoln is always mentioned in the Top Five Presidents of all-time mostly as a savior of civil rights which was an afterthought - he was certainly no advocate for blacks or ending slavery.
29-01-2016, 07:13 AM
^^ Wikipedia disagrees with you...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-01-2016, 07:17 AM
(25-01-2016 03:31 PM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  Can anybody here make a decent case (positives) for Reagan?

“Reagan was not afraid to ruffle feathers and put dramatic, even radical plans on the table. That is how he created the Reagan Revolution that revitalized America.”

Reagan faced difficulties on many fronts when he entered the White House in January 1981.

The nation was heavily embroiled in the Cold War. The Soviets had invaded Afghanistan a year earlier. Until the day of Reagan’s inauguration, Iran had held 52 Americans hostage for 444 days.

After four years of the Jimmy Carter presidency. Inflation stood around 12.5 percent, unemployment was 7.5 percent, and the top tax rate was 70 percent.

Reagan implemented free market policies that came to be known as Reaganomics — drastically reducing taxes on income and capital gains, cutting spending on many federal programs, and deregulating the economy.
The result: the largest economic boom in U.S. history.

Reagan’s policies created more than 16 million new jobs, and the GDP grew at an annual rate of 3.85 percent a year. By the time Reagan left office, inflation had plunged to just 4.4 percent, and unemployment had dropped to 5.4 percent.

Reagan also stood up to the Soviet Union, branding it “an evil empire” in a March 1983 speech. He ordered a massive buildup of American armed forces, and introduced the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) — later dubbed “Star Wars” — to protect the United States from nuclear ballistic missiles launched by the U.S.S.R.

He also boosted aid to anti-communist resistance movements, including the Mujaheddin battling Soviet troops in Afghanistan, and freed the island nation of Grenada from a Marxist government supported by troops from the Soviets’ North American ally, Fidel Castro’s Cuba.

In 1987, Reagan stood at the Berlin Wall and challenged Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to “tear down this wall!” Two years later, the Wall came down, and the Cold War was declared over.
Two years after his Berlin Wall speech, the Soviet Union collapsed, a pivotal moment in history many attribute largely to Reagan’s huge military buildup and threat of building the SDI — moves that could not be matched by the floundering Soviet economy.

On the home front, Reagan endeared himself to average Americans with a straightforward, no-nonsense style that earned him the nickname “The Great Communicator.”

But Reagan’s greatest accomplishment, he said at the end of his presidency, was that he made Americans feel proud of their country again.
29-01-2016, 03:15 PM
(29-01-2016 07:17 AM)80sChild Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 03:31 PM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  Can anybody here make a decent case (positives) for Reagan?

“Reagan was not afraid to ruffle feathers and put dramatic, even radical plans on the table. That is how he created the Reagan Revolution that revitalized America.”

Reagan faced difficulties on many fronts when he entered the White House in January 1981.

The nation was heavily embroiled in the Cold War. The Soviets had invaded Afghanistan a year earlier. Until the day of Reagan’s inauguration, Iran had held 52 Americans hostage for 444 days.

After four years of the Jimmy Carter presidency. Inflation stood around 12.5 percent, unemployment was 7.5 percent, and the top tax rate was 70 percent.

Reagan implemented free market policies that came to be known as Reaganomics — drastically reducing taxes on income and capital gains, cutting spending on many federal programs, and deregulating the economy.
The result: the largest economic boom in U.S. history.

Reagan’s policies created more than 16 million new jobs, and the GDP grew at an annual rate of 3.85 percent a year. By the time Reagan left office, inflation had plunged to just 4.4 percent, and unemployment had dropped to 5.4 percent.

Reagan also stood up to the Soviet Union, branding it “an evil empire” in a March 1983 speech. He ordered a massive buildup of American armed forces, and introduced the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) — later dubbed “Star Wars” — to protect the United States from nuclear ballistic missiles launched by the U.S.S.R.

He also boosted aid to anti-communist resistance movements, including the Mujaheddin battling Soviet troops in Afghanistan, and freed the island nation of Grenada from a Marxist government supported by troops from the Soviets’ North American ally, Fidel Castro’s Cuba.

In 1987, Reagan stood at the Berlin Wall and challenged Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to “tear down this wall!” Two years later, the Wall came down, and the Cold War was declared over.
Two years after his Berlin Wall speech, the Soviet Union collapsed, a pivotal moment in history many attribute largely to Reagan’s huge military buildup and threat of building the SDI — moves that could not be matched by the floundering Soviet economy.

On the home front, Reagan endeared himself to average Americans with a straightforward, no-nonsense style that earned him the nickname “The Great Communicator.”

But Reagan’s greatest accomplishment, he said at the end of his presidency, was that he made Americans feel proud of their country again.

Reagan's combination of tax cuts and defense spending increased the national debt substantially.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post