Who do you write like?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Who do you write like?
Have you ever wondered which famous writer your writing style resembles? If you are like me you probably haven't. The idea never occurred to me until I discovered this site:

http://iwl.me/

Quote:Check which famous writer you write like with this statistical analysis tool, which analyzes your word choice and writing style and compares them with those of the famous writers.

Any text in English will do: your latest blog post, journal entry, comment, chapter of your unfinished book, etc. For reliable results paste at least a few paragraphs (not tweets).

I tried seven posts from my blog and apparently I write like H. P. Lovecraft. This was the verdict for three of the posts. The other four were George Orwell, Dan Brown, James Joyce, and William Shakespeare.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like theophilus's post
20-03-2016, 08:07 AM
RE: Who do you write like?
This girl that sat behind me in one of my English Literature courses.

Really, we had to proofread & give notes to eachothers papers and while I was reading hers I was stunned. She wrote with so many "although" and passive tense phrasings that it was like I actually read the paper. We both talked about it how we came to that conclusion that we wrote in that similar manner.

Oh, you mean famous writers.. well ladida. Whoever is known as a really passive phrasing writer with a lot of lacking confidence in the convictions written but loves to throw flimsy snazzy words in there every now and then. Who's that? I guess I'll have to test it out.

On my first attempt with a long sorta essay/blog post I've yet to put out there I tried it out on that and got David Foster Wallace Nice, I like many other of my generation (actually probably the generation older than me by 10-20 years) have a copy of Infinite Jest on my bookshelf that I've never read. But honestly I just got it last year so I plan to get to it actually in a couple books.(we'll see how well that one goes)

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
20-03-2016, 08:16 AM
I threw in a couple of my poems:

First one:
Quote:I write like
James Joyce

Second one:
James Joyce

Oh! That was a surprise.

So I tried one my longer posts from TTA:
David Foster Wallace

The "This is Water" guy? Well, I guess that's flattering.

Hmmm. Another, longer one:
William Gibson

Not one Brit? Not one?

I'm so depressed.

Weeping

20-03-2016, 08:19 AM
I write like a hack.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
20-03-2016, 08:21 AM
It told me I write like Dan Brown, not the Youtuber Dan Brown, but "The Da Vinci Code" Dan Brown. Sure, I'll take it Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
20-03-2016, 08:30 AM
I write like:

Jane Austen (based on a section from a short story)
James Joyce (based on a blog entry)
Chuck Palahniuk (based on a different short story)
Anne Rice (based on a couple of poems)

I hate Anne Rice.
20-03-2016, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 09:02 AM by Free Thought.)
Based on a few snippets of my posts on the forum here I got:

George Orwell
David Foster Wallace
Edgar Allan Poe

I'll try writing something original in it in a few hours once I've had some sleep.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-03-2016, 09:27 AM
I write like
Cory Doctorow - (I used my grandmothers story that I posted here yesterday) Did not know who he was, had to look him up.

I write like
Chuck Palahniuk - (I used my story about when I had my swat team encounter) Did not know who he was either, looked him up.

I write like
Vladimir Nabokov - (I used my blog and the importance of physical affection for people who live alone) Again, did not know who he was so I looked him up.

I was disappointed I didn't recognize any of the authors/journalists who it stated I write like. Also that none of them were women. Sad

However, after looking them up I was quite pleased with the results. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
20-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Chuck Palahniuk. Dunno who he is.
20-03-2016, 09:50 AM
(20-03-2016 09:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Chuck Palahniuk. Dunno who he is.

He wrote Fight Club and other novels. A modern 90s/current day writer.

I've noticed something though, I don't see many female writers on this list. I did get 1 woman, who I never heard of when I put a recent poem of mine on the list. But beyond that I've at least, not seen a female show up frequently, idk the database.

In one result I took the poem I recently posted here in the poems thread, and got Dan Brown but I also took the original version I had of it, which I only very slightly altered for posting here(mainly just form and tightening up some phrases) But that original version had be getting Neil Gaiman.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson