Who does Evolution say came first, the chicken or the egg?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Who does Evolution say came first, the chicken or the egg?
Everyone knows that chickens come from eggs, eggs come from chickens, chickens come from eggs, ect. So which came first?

I overheard a conversation between a classmate and my LA teacher, and my classmate made the point that if chickens had gradually changed over time that if we went far back to the first (what would meet our definition of a) chicken, it would have been born in an egg from it's "parent" species.

What do you think. Is there evidence that the chicken was born in an egg from it's "parent" species, or is there evidence that the chicken became a different species first, and then evolved the ability to lay eggs?

"He who wishes to comprehend God with his mind becomes an atheist."
- Count Nikolaus Von Zinzendorf
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2012, 03:27 PM
RE: Who does Evolution say came first, the chicken or the egg?
[Image: NotSureIfSerious.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like germanyt's post
09-03-2012, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 05:44 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(09-03-2012 03:25 PM)samthepcman Wrote:  Everyone knows that chickens come from eggs, eggs come from chickens, chickens come from eggs, ect. So which came first?

I overheard a conversation between a classmate and my LA teacher, and my classmate made the point that if chickens had gradually changed over time that if we went far back to the first (what would meet our definition of a) chicken, it would have been born in an egg from it's "parent" species.

What do you think. Is there evidence that the chicken was born in an egg from it's "parent" species, or is there evidence that the chicken became a different species first, and then evolved the ability to lay eggs?

Neither, abiogenesis was first, which isn't even a part of the theory of evolution.

There ya go, thats the answer...now you never have to ask that terrible question again!
09-03-2012, 03:33 PM
How do magnets work?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-03-2012, 03:39 PM
(09-03-2012 03:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  How do magnets work?

Magic, everyone knows that.

How about, "how come all the conditions are perfect for us to survive, how do you explain that heathen baby eater."

One of my personal favourites and a particularly good one to highlight to an individual why their brains don't work properly.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
09-03-2012, 03:46 PM
(09-03-2012 03:30 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 03:25 PM)samthepcman Wrote:  Everyone knows that chickens come from eggs, eggs come from chickens, chickens come from eggs, ect. So which came first?

Neither abiogenesis was first, which isn't even a part of the theory of evolution.

There ya go, thats the answer...now you never have to ask that terrible question again!

What i am saying is, If evolution is true, which one came first and why?

"He who wishes to comprehend God with his mind becomes an atheist."
- Count Nikolaus Von Zinzendorf
09-03-2012, 03:55 PM
(09-03-2012 03:46 PM)samthepcman Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 03:30 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  

Neither abiogenesis was first, which isn't even a part of the theory of evolution.

What i am saying is, If evolution is true, which one came first and why?

I think you're confused on how evolution works.

A lizard just doesn't go *poof* and starts having birds.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-03-2012, 03:56 PM
(09-03-2012 03:46 PM)samthepcman Wrote:  What i am saying is, If evolution is true, which one came first and why?

Why would evolution being true rest on the ability to answer this question? If god created chickens which did he create first the chicken or the egg? If you can't answer then god mustn't be real.

The simple fact of the matter is we do not know the answer to everything, but all we can do is direct our future enquiries where 99.9% of the evidence points. Think how much more we know than 200 years ago, now contemplate how much more we could know in the next 200 years. There are still plenty of unanswered questions, otherwise science would be pointless. Here's the weird bit though, for the tens of thousands of answers and discoveries that have been made not one of them has been magic.

Some of the natural processes are beautiful, amazing and scary, but still natural. So it is a fairly safe assumption that future discoveries will follow suit.

As for the chicken and the egg, that question is only valid if you make the presumption that they were chicken and eggs from the start, who knows what evolutionary processes have taken place to end up with what we have. We certainly don't because we were not there. We may find some evidence one day, until then we are just pissing in the wind.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
09-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Okay to try and give a serious answer:

The question is a little faulty because it's impossible to say at a point; This parent animal is a not chicken, but the bird that comes from it's egg is a chicken. There is no criteria that would stand out looking back to say this 1 birth difference lead to a new species.

In a simple sense, Eggs were being laid by lizards and such well before birds were existing. So at some point a chicken like creature was born from an egg that was a slightly less chicken like creature. Until you get to a point you say, that is 100% the chicken I mean.

So, the Egg came first.
09-03-2012, 04:08 PM
(09-03-2012 04:02 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Okay to try and give a serious answer:

The question is a little faulty because it's impossible to say at a point. This parent animal is a not chicken, but the bird that comes from it's egg is a chicken. There is no criteria that would stand out looking back to say this 1 birth difference lead to a new species.

In a simple sense, Eggs were being laid by lizards and such well before birds were existing. So at some point a chicken like creature was born from an egg that was a slightly less chicken like creature. Until you get to a point you say, that is 100% the chicken I mean.

So, the Egg

But a "chicken" is a bird that we decided to name an animal at a specific point in its evolution. You can't do that and ask the question honestly.

It's like splattering paint on the wall and picking out a small drop and saying that the drop was the first in the bucket.

Evolution isn't "bam bam bam" if that makes since. The question isn't a legitimate question if it's observed under the science of evolution.