Who does Evolution say came first, the chicken or the egg?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2012, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 04:48 PM by Starcrash.)
RE: Who does Evolution say came first, the chicken or the egg?
I know I've already cited this before, but the answer is the chicken. To some people it may sound like a dumb or unanswerable question, but it's actually a good question since we all understand (unless we believe in creationism) that there isn't an infinite regress --- one of them actually came "first". And we actually have an answer, too.
(09-03-2012 04:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But a "chicken" is a bird that we decided to name an animal at a specific point in its evolution. You can't do that and ask the question honestly.

It's like splattering paint on the wall and picking out a small drop and saying that the drop was the first in the bucket.

Evolution isn't "bam bam bam" if that makes since. The question isn't a legitimate question if it's observed under the science of evolution.

I understand your objection to the possibility of an answer, but you also have to recognize that life didn't always come from eggs (not even the internal ones like mammals have). Evolution didn't, for the longest time, have answers on the evolution of the egg... this question was posed (and I guess still is sometimes) like "so if evolution is real, explain how lifeforms started birthing in egg shapes". Even though my citation above is explicitly about chickens and their eggs, I think it was metaphorically about the evolution of the egg and the first organism to give an egg birth.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2012, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 05:01 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(10-03-2012 04:41 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I know I've already cited this before, but the answer is the chicken. To some people it may sound like a dumb or unanswerable question, but it's actually a good question since we all understand (unless we believe in creationism) that there isn't an infinite regress --- one of them actually came "first". And we actually have an answer, too.
The organism you recognize as a chicken came from an egg. Now the real question comes out. Is that egg a chicken?

If you say the egg is not a chicken, then you have to admit that both answers could be right, but you can't really prove either. You are just arguing semantics. So this is a bad choice.

If you say they are the same, then the original question is loaded. You would have declare either both or neither.

Another problem with the question is the hidden premise. To answer the question we have accept the premise that at some point the chicken instantly split off from his predecessor. Of course this is a false premise. We like to envision the evolutionary tree to be lines that instantly split off into another direction, but a more accurate description would be that they look like actual branches with measurable width.

If you have to answer, both or neither is seemingly the best choice, though its not technically one of the choices given.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
10-03-2012, 05:41 PM
(10-03-2012 04:41 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I know I've already cited this before, but the answer is the chicken. To some people it may sound like a dumb or unanswerable question, but it's actually a good question since we all understand (unless we believe in creationism) that there isn't an infinite regress --- one of them actually came "first". And we actually have an answer, too.

All that proved was that chickens have a protein that helps speed up the egg laying process. I wonder if that is just chickens or fouls. Chickens are a domesticated human breed animal.

It still seems odd to say that it was the chicken first. Because even the very first chicken to have that ability to lay eggs quick from that protein, came from an egg containing itself with that specific DNA code written; hence, the egg came before the chicken.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-03-2012, 03:59 PM
(09-03-2012 03:25 PM)samthepcman Wrote:  Everyone knows that chickens come from eggs, eggs come from chickens, chickens come from eggs, ect. So which came first?

I overheard a conversation between a classmate and my LA teacher, and my classmate made the point that if chickens had gradually changed over time that if we went far back to the first (what would meet our definition of a) chicken, it would have been born in an egg from it's "parent" species.

What do you think. Is there evidence that the chicken was born in an egg from it's "parent" species, or is there evidence that the chicken became a different species first, and then evolved the ability to lay eggs?

Even if teh evolutions is fallss, I answers dis. Da egg came first, biatches! To werds foor yah! Dino-sor! ;D

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
11-03-2012, 05:13 PM
The more important question is: why are chickens eggs tapered at one end?

the answer, of course, is so the chickens "hole" doesn't slam shut when the egg falls out!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post