Who else grows plants??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2017, 12:21 PM
RE: Who else grows plants??
I have plants in my garden, but I have no idea what they are and no interest in finding out. I leave everything to my gardener. He keeps things tidy and makes sure that the weeds are kept down. That's good enough for me. I hate gardening and if I didn't pay someone to do it, none would get done.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2017, 12:23 PM
(04-03-2017 11:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I grow stuff out in the garden. I dig a hole, toss it in, if it grows, fine , if it doesn't I don't care, I go down and gets something else and throw it in the ground.

I have stuff in the garden that grows like crazy. I have a wisteria vine that is entwined itself around our chain linked fence and in spring it blooms and I go out and simply stare at it. It's gorgeous!

[Image: 7670-pink-japanese-wisteria-full-shot.jpg]

My daughter brought home a marijuana plant and it also grew like crazy.

I've got some bearded irises that are stunning. I had five or six rose bushes but I pulled the last rose bush out last summer because it's always got some mold or bugs or something on it and I don't like fussy plants. So there!Angry Stupid rose bush.

I've got cyclamen bulbs. These flowers bloom in the fall. I think that's neat that they do that.

[Image: How-To-Care-For-Cyclamen-1.jpg]

I DON'T grow vegetables. I hate growing veggies. Too much damned work keeping bugs and mold off. I'll pay a farmer to do that for me, thank you very much. Tongue

I've got a bunch of other stuff in my garden but I can't remember what they're called.

Hmm, I throw veggie plants in the ground and walk away until I can pick things. (got auto watering). I don't fuss over them, I plant a variety of types of the same veggie and some years this one grows better, and some years the other. The fun is that there is always food outside during season, it's guaranteed organic and tastes better than anything that has been transported and shelved ever will.

I got fruit trees too - you only plant them once and if they don't make you happy you can plant a different one. And the berries...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-03-2017, 01:02 PM
(04-03-2017 11:35 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 10:44 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  are you growing outside? do you have raised beds?

I'm clueless. I have a decent sized location for them out in my yard but I haven't done anything with it yet.

If you can, try and get raised beds. I do a little growing directly in the ground, but my raised beds always outperform my container and ground plantings.

this has great advice:

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/gard...aised-beds

I also grow in lots of containers. I try and stick growing things everywhere I can. lol
When I first started out, I made lots of mistakes, and I still make mistakes! Don't beat yourself up if something doesn't grow successfully. Part of the fun is just trying!

I am happy to answer any questions. I really mean it! I love talking gardening Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
04-03-2017, 01:06 PM
(04-03-2017 12:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 11:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I grow stuff out in the garden. I dig a hole, toss it in, if it grows, fine , if it doesn't I don't care, I go down and gets something else and throw it in the ground.

I have stuff in the garden that grows like crazy. I have a wisteria vine that is entwined itself around our chain linked fence and in spring it blooms and I go out and simply stare at it. It's gorgeous!

[Image: 7670-pink-japanese-wisteria-full-shot.jpg]

My daughter brought home a marijuana plant and it also grew like crazy.

I've got some bearded irises that are stunning. I had five or six rose bushes but I pulled the last rose bush out last summer because it's always got some mold or bugs or something on it and I don't like fussy plants. So there!Angry Stupid rose bush.

I've got cyclamen bulbs. These flowers bloom in the fall. I think that's neat that they do that.

[Image: How-To-Care-For-Cyclamen-1.jpg]

I DON'T grow vegetables. I hate growing veggies. Too much damned work keeping bugs and mold off. I'll pay a farmer to do that for me, thank you very much. Tongue

I've got a bunch of other stuff in my garden but I can't remember what they're called.

Hmm, I throw veggie plants in the ground and walk away until I can pick things. (got auto watering). I don't fuss over them, I plant a variety of types of the same veggie and some years this one grows better, and some years the other. The fun is that there is always food outside during season, it's guaranteed organic and tastes better than anything that has been transported and shelved ever will.

I got fruit trees too - you only plant them once and if they don't make you happy you can plant a different one. And the berries...

I had an apple tree. The birds would come along and peck holes in all the apples, then the apples would rot and fall off the trees , then the Oregon rain would get them all wet, and then they'd turn to mush on the ground, then they'd stink, then I'd accidently step on them, then my shoes would be all disgusting, then I'd have to wash the sickening, yucky brown apple stink off of my shoes.......

and then I cut the fucking tree down. Problem solved.

Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-03-2017, 01:15 PM
(04-03-2017 01:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 12:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  Hmm, I throw veggie plants in the ground and walk away until I can pick things. (got auto watering). I don't fuss over them, I plant a variety of types of the same veggie and some years this one grows better, and some years the other. The fun is that there is always food outside during season, it's guaranteed organic and tastes better than anything that has been transported and shelved ever will.

I had an apple tree. The birds would come along and peck holes in all the apples, then the apples would rot and fall off the trees , then the Oregon rain would get them all wet, and then they'd turn to mush on the ground, then they'd stink, then I'd accidently step on them, then my shoes would be all disgusting, then I'd have to wash the sickening, yucky brown apple stink off of my shoes.......

and then I cut the fucking tree down. Problem solved.

Thumbsup

Mine are outside the fenced area and the wildlife cleans up any dropped fruit. Nothing stinks and the apples are damn good. As are the pears and plums - ooooh - don't get me started on the sweetness of those plums. I can't wait....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-03-2017, 02:09 PM
(04-03-2017 01:02 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 11:35 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I'm clueless. I have a decent sized location for them out in my yard but I haven't done anything with it yet.

If you can, try and get raised beds. I do a little growing directly in the ground, but my raised beds always outperform my container and ground plantings.

this has great advice:

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/gard...aised-beds

I also grow in lots of containers. I try and stick growing things everywhere I can. lol
When I first started out, I made lots of mistakes, and I still make mistakes! Don't beat yourself up if something doesn't grow successfully. Part of the fun is just trying!

I am happy to answer any questions. I really mean it! I love talking gardening Smile

Thank you so much for the link!

I think vegetation gardening saves quite a bit on money and I've wanted to get into gardening forever! XD
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
06-03-2017, 06:54 PM
(04-03-2017 10:28 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Wow - that is quite the collection! Are you studying botany?

I am an outdoor gardener for sure. Indoor plants and I don't get along very well Smile

My yard is full of plants, although I am terrible w/ Latin names.
Foundation/around the yard:
Hydrangea (4 varieties)
Japanese Maple
Serviceberry
Euonymus
Coreopsis
Lilac
Arborvitae
Pine trees
Maple trees
Creeping thyme
ornamental grasses
Salvia
Trumpet vine
Clematis (2 varieties)
Hosta
Boxwood
Clover
Buckwheat
Phlox
Spirea
Plum tree
Lavender
Bee balm
Catmint
Sedum
Crocus
Lily of the Valley
Queen Anne's Lace
Holly
Scattered daffodils, tulips, Iris (they are popping up now)
Rhododendron
roses (these are almost dead - I am 100% organic and won't spray a thing, so they were infected and I couldn't save them)

Butterfly Garden:
Bachelor Button
Coreopsis
Milkweed
Daisy
hollyhock
Coneflower
Sunflower
Foxglove
Salvia
Catmint
Scabiosa
Stonecrop
Anise hyssop
Achillea

Raised beds:
Strawberries
Cucumber
Peas
Lettuces
Zucchini
Beans
Carrots
Herbs
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Marigolds
and usually one or 2 'experimental' like cauliflower or melon, etc.

I am forgetting some, they are mostly dormant now so it's hard to remember.

I also plant a large number of annuals every year. Sunflower, sweet alyssum, etc.
seceral scientific names noted-Hydrangea, Hosta, Spiraea, Coreopsis

if u ever get seeds or vegetative spiraea propagules and dont want them hmu
[+] 1 user Likes seagull's post