Who else here actually thinks eternal life would not be intolerable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Who else here actually thinks eternal life would not be intolerable?
At lot of atheists I listen too seem to think that eternal life would become hell as you would eventually do everything you ever could do. I however don't think this would be the case.

Imagine now that heaven was just as interesting as Earth. On Earth we can literally do billions of different things, we might go skiing, we might walk through Yosemite, we might drink alcohol and party. Imagine how long it would take to do everything on this planet. Also think about when you then repeat the tasks, how many of you have watched a movie more than once because you liked it so much.

As well as this the world is dynamic so there is always new things being created, new things to see, new things to do. Activities like sports would never becoming boring as each game is unique.

We could ultimately become an expert in everything and spend time doing things we truly love. Then when we get a bit bored of something, as there is so much variety in the world, there will be something you loved that you maybe last did 1000 years ago so you could then start doing that again and it would feel fresh.

If someone offered me eternity I would accept it, on the condition that the world I was spending eternity in was at least as interesting as this one. One thing however would be the logistics, imagine in 100,000 years from now, the rich will likely be far richer and the poor will be poorer etc. as that is how the trend is. But if we are talking heaven then we should at least expect things to be balanced and fair and more moral as we are talking about the kingdom of God, unless God did a half arsed job designing heaven too.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2013, 06:34 PM
RE: Who else here actually thinks eternal life would not be intolerable?
Quote:At lot of atheists I listen too seem to think that eternal life would become hell as you would eventually do everything you ever could do.
Actually...

Eternal life would be great for mastering the art of procrastination, coz you know you have the time to do stuff later.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 7 users Like Slowminded's post
16-11-2013, 06:37 PM
I just don't want to live forever. This life is difficult enough.

Besides, I'd be dead. Even if I could "have all kinds of things and do all kinds of things" after I died, I'D BE DEAD. It's not real.

It's like playing Monopoly: Yeah, I bought a bunch of houses and buildings, but I used fake money and it didn't actually happen.

I like to think this is my only life, so I'm going to make the best of it. I feel like thinking that I would live in eternal happiness AFTER this life would somehow make this life less meaningful.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
16-11-2013, 06:40 PM
When I was a kid I used to say, "the only way I would ever want eternal life is if my future wife had it as well." But that was thinking of eternal life on earth...as everybody else aged and died.

I think the immediate reflex to an offer of eternal life is, "yeah, awesome!" But...the problem is that we can't really comprehend eternity. We can hardly remember things that happened 10 years ago....I mean to us that's a long time. So existing 100,000 years? or 100,000 times that? It's a hard concept to wrap your mind around. I do admit that...if my life continued the way it is now (mostly pleasure, fun, and new experiences) I wouldn't mind it going on forever, but that's because everything else around me is changing just as I am so there is never a shortage of things to do.

So I dunno, ultimately eternal life is a silly concept that doesn't deserve much consideration IMO, but if you want to imagine it, there are both good ways to paint it and bad. Painting it good would require a pretty insane implantation of utopia though.
16-11-2013, 06:42 PM
If all other humans go extinct before the sun explodes, I'd think feeding the pigeons would get a little boring. And if humans are still around, but haven't found a way to travel to other star systems by the time this one goes up in a nova, supernova, or worse, even if you were miraculously aimed directly for a solar body on which you could become the next Superman, I'd think the light years of travel time through absolute zero, to get there, would be even worse Undecided

But give me the Millenium Falcon? Consider I'd give forever a shot, at least Tongue
16-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Umm...eternal life does seem appealing but only if you can also be forever young. I don't think anyone is going skiing when their physically 600 years oldTongue And if you are forever young also not everyone will be. Going to see a lot of death around you, people you grown to love and respect. Now if you can get over that massive hurdle..maybe.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
16-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Re: Who else here actually thinks eternal life would not be intolerable?
The issue to me is it will become interoperable when every star in the universe has died out and I'm left floating alone in empty space. I'll pass on that.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
16-11-2013, 07:23 PM
For me, I think my appreciation for life is what would make eternal life unbearable. When life is no longer precious, we lose the enjoyment of living it.

Ask yourself this: why is it fun to skydive? What's the appeal?

The fun comes from the risk. Without it, it's just falling. Now of course not everything is risky, and risk isn't necessary to find enjoyment, but I think the things we get enjoyment out of come from the preciousness of being here for a limited time. Otherwise, it's just waiting til this is over so I can do that.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
16-11-2013, 07:25 PM
This from a twenty-year-old. Big Grin

Firstly, the concepts are incompatible. There is no identity in eternity, which I know 'cause I've been there, which is a short/sassy way to summarize a thousand words of tao. Tongue

Secondly, the question probably should be "living forever," and no, those two concepts are incompatible as well. Tongue

But no, because consciousness has identity. Identity is a focus that narrows over time, and it is not inconceivable to think that such narrowing reduces to zero. A.K.A. death. So... no. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2013, 07:28 PM

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post