Who else here actually thinks eternal life would not be intolerable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2013, 01:19 AM
RE: Who else here actually thinks eternal life would not be intolerable?
I think I would take the deal. I know I would if there was an opt out option.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2013, 01:34 AM
(16-11-2013 07:08 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The issue to me is it will become interoperable when every star in the universe has died out and I'm left floating alone in empty space. I'll pass on that.

This was along the same lines as my first thought on the matter. This and the eternal youth thing.

Also: eventually, I think immortals *would* get bored with existing. It might take a very, very long time, but it would happen eventually. Especially if they had the ability to travel the cosmos. It would probably make one more and more disillusioned towards existence as a whole. I can imagine them saying

"Yep. Haven't discovered anything new in a few centuries now......Wish I could kill myself."

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
17-11-2013, 01:48 AM
Eternal life under the conditions specified by e.g. Christianity (playing a goddamn harp for centuries and moaning on about how great this random super being is and dressing in white robes and not ever having sex ever) *would* be intolerable IMO.

Give it to me under *my* terms and I won't mind. Anyway I'll have plenty of time to figure out a way to opt out if I decide I don't like it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-11-2013, 02:23 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2013 06:01 AM by Chippy.)
(16-11-2013 06:27 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  If someone offered me eternity I would accept it, on the condition that the world I was spending eternity in was at least as interesting as this one. One thing however would be the logistics, imagine in 100,000 years from now, the rich will likely be far richer and the poor will be poorer etc. as that is how the trend is. But if we are talking heaven then we should at least expect things to be balanced and fair and more moral as we are talking about the kingdom of God, unless God did a half arsed job designing heaven too.

Isn't part of the problem due to a failure to define "eternal life"?

My assumption is that when atheists criticise the notion of "eternal life" they are referring to Paradise/Heaven as defined by the major faiths.

Islamic Paradise is like some oasis with an infinite supply of cool, pure water and fruit where you get 72 self-restoring celestial virgins and some teleportation facility so you can meet-up with anyone in an instant.

In Christianity Heaven isn't for ethernity it is just until the Second Coming after which a Heaven-on-Earth will be established which is for eternity.

The Jewish Heaven is like the Garden of Eden and when the Messiah arrives their will be bodily resurrection in that Garden of Eden.

All of these would soon become tedious and intolerable if human nature as it is currently is preserved. Surely after you have sex with your 72 virgins hundreds of times and you've had your fill of fruit it will become mundane. The Islamic Paradise is some idealised harem/oasis where it is clear you are supposed to be eating and shagging. It is unclear what you are supposed to do with your infinite time in Heaven-on-Earth or the new Garden of Eden. It is unlikely that anything can be interesting/engaging/satisfying/pleasurable ad infinitum. For a long time, sure. But literally foreever, I doubt it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2013, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2013 04:08 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Eternity, in Christian theology, is timeLESS, not endless time, (which even the mediocre apologists are aware of, and the dissonances that creates with a deity who is constantly described in temporal terms. WLC has spent his entire career trying to explain that little bit of nonsense away.)
http://www.springer.com/philosophy/epist...923-6635-5

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
17-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Eternal life.....no. Eternal is forever, I don't think I can do forever.

Maybe a few thousand years of life, would be the limit I could take.
17-11-2013, 08:36 AM
I just figured Heaven would be a trillion people in their teenage bodies having Orgies.
Jesus handing out lube and paper towels, with God watching it remotely on HeavenTube under the category of Eternal Orgies.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
18-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Eternal life would eventually grow boring if it were limited to one world or even one universe but that won't be the case. God is a creator and since he never changes that means he will go on creating new things for all of eternity. Those who have eternal life will always be experiencing new things, including some that are beyond our ability to even imagine now.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
18-11-2013, 11:19 AM
(18-11-2013 11:13 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Eternal life would eventually grow boring if it were limited to one world or even one universe but that won't be the case. God is a creator and since he never changes that means he will go on creating new things for all of eternity. Those who have eternal life will always be experiencing new things, including some that are beyond our ability to even imagine now.

Activity is by definition, ("creating things") changing.
Creating new things requires mental activity, intention, planning, and action.
You just contradicted yourself.
Show me ONE example of someone who performs an action without change.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-11-2013, 11:26 AM
(18-11-2013 11:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Creating new things requires mental activity, intention, planning, and action.
When people do things in changes them but that doesn't necessarily apply to God.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.