Who else here actually thinks eternal life would not be intolerable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2013, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2013 11:42 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Who else here actually thinks eternal life would not be intolerable?
(18-11-2013 11:26 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(18-11-2013 11:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Creating new things requires mental activity, intention, planning, and action.
When people do things in changes them but that doesn't necessarily apply to God.

Yeah I know that's what you people say.
It's called "Special Pleading".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading
In the English language, words have meanings.
Don't use words what are meaningless in the context fo what you're attempting to say.
It makes you look weak and desperate.
If your deity exists in a temporal dimension, then it REQUIRES it for it's existence, from "eternity". That means time exists from eternity, concurrently with you deity, and she couldn't have created (all of) Reality. She did create everything right ? Explain how she "created" *non-existence* if she had, from eternity, to "exist", (therefore non-existence ALSO ''existed" as long as she existed.) Take your time. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2013, 11:39 AM
In order to consider eternal life, it makes sense to ponder the implications.

No death, no illness
= no fear = no excitement for some people
Bungy jumping, parachuting, skiing, riding horses, car racing etc would have a no risk factor.

No eating
If we can't kill things then what is it that we eat? Since we can't die, we don't have to eat.

No babies
= No family holidays, no Christmases, no play, probably no marriage, no family
If no-one dies, we can't keep having babies forever, thus logic says we won't be able to have children. Without children the world would be a strange and serious place.

No sex
With no functional purpose for sex we probably would lose the desire for it. Over eternity sex would become pointless and boring.

No struggle for survival
Much of our lives is due to a struggle for survive or a struggle to procreate. Without these things, we wouldn't work, we wouldn't compete.

No invention
With a continual refresh of life (life - death cycle) we get old ideas dying out and new ideas introduced. Without this cycle, the old fuddies get stuck in their ideas and thus progress halts.

No point
Eventually we would all go batshit crazy
Hobo
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
18-11-2013, 11:49 AM
They have good drugs in heaven to keep you from getting bored.
19-11-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm here 'til about 40, then I'm out. Maybe 50 if I'm up for it. Even a lifetime is too much for me. An eternity? Psh.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2013, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't mind a long afterlife with time to explore and learn to my heart's content. But after I've done all I've cared to do? I want the option to simply cease to be, and finally just be at rest forever.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
20-11-2013, 09:37 AM
(18-11-2013 11:39 AM)Stevil Wrote:  In order to consider eternal life, it makes sense to ponder the implications.

No death, no illness
= no fear = no excitement for some people
Bungy jumping, parachuting, skiing, riding horses, car racing etc would have a no risk factor.

No eating
If we can't kill things then what is it that we eat? Since we can't die, we don't have to eat.

No babies
= No family holidays, no Christmases, no play, probably no marriage, no family
If no-one dies, we can't keep having babies forever, thus logic says we won't be able to have children. Without children the world would be a strange and serious place.

No sex
With no functional purpose for sex we probably would lose the desire for it. Over eternity sex would become pointless and boring.

No struggle for survival
Much of our lives is due to a struggle for survive or a struggle to procreate. Without these things, we wouldn't work, we wouldn't compete.

No invention
With a continual refresh of life (life - death cycle) we get old ideas dying out and new ideas introduced. Without this cycle, the old fuddies get stuck in their ideas and thus progress halts.

No point
Eventually we would all go batshit crazy
Hobo

And the "bat-shit" crazy would happen very quickly for some of us....
Oh...I forgot...since "eternity" cannot be measured in time, then for most of us, the "bat-shit" crazy would happen immediately upon being assigned to heaven.

Also.....according the theists, all residents would be required to "continuously praise god"....and if that means singing...then I'll be caught by the heaven police and sent straight to hell.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
21-11-2013, 11:16 AM
What makes life special and amazing is that it will never come again.

I can start to panic when I think about living forever. In many ways, that would be the worst torture. Like punishment. Even reading Greek mythology makes you glad that no one actually lives forever. I just can't imagine...

Maybe a few extra years to live out any dreams I didn't get to accomplish, if I died too early, but forever? Good grief, that would be a terrible punishment... especially in the way that they describe Heaven. It's awful... streets of gold and mansions? What happened to nature?
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
21-11-2013, 11:45 AM
I don't really care, there's no reason to since I don't even believe in it anyways.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
21-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Don't we already have something resembling eternal life...through our children? Why isn't that enough for us? Must be evidence that many humans remain very selfish creatures.

Also:

An eternity.....spent with Christians....all telling me "told ya so"....for eternity?

No thank you.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post