Who first came up with the idea of the big bang theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Who first came up with the idea of the big bang theory?
The completely idiotic fantasy that matter comes from nothing (the absence of matter) has been a staple for religious and non religious alike.

Does anyone here know who first came up with the idea of the big bang?

Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 07:17 PM
RE: Who first came up with the idea of the big bang theory?
(06-10-2013 07:09 PM)I and I Wrote:  The completely idiotic fantasy that matter comes from nothing (the absence of matter) has been a staple for religious and non religious alike.

Drinking Beverage

The modern concept was first proposed by Georges LeMaitre.

Your personal incredulity is not terribly convincing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-10-2013, 07:56 PM
(06-10-2013 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 07:09 PM)I and I Wrote:  The completely idiotic fantasy that matter comes from nothing (the absence of matter) has been a staple for religious and non religious alike.

Drinking Beverage

The modern concept was first proposed by Georges LeMaitre.

So a religious guy came up with the idea that matter came from nothing (no matter) and this coincidentally coincides with his religious views that a being from outer space was the initiator of this something from nothing.

Remind me again the difference between religion and science?
06-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Normally when I'm not familiar with a topic, I research it before making a thread.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 6 users Like Elesjei's post
06-10-2013, 11:35 PM
(06-10-2013 07:56 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  The modern concept was first proposed by Georges LeMaitre.

So a religious guy came up with the idea that matter came from nothing (no matter) and this coincidentally coincides with his religious views that a being from outer space was the initiator of this something from nothing.

you won't understand it, you're too thick to get it, so stop trying

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 4 users Like nach_in's post
06-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Wikipedia. Stop being a twit.
06-10-2013, 11:54 PM
The big bang theory has nothing to do with matter coming from non-matter. It describes the apparent expansion of the universe from the earliest moments we can reliably describe to the current time. Scientists were sceptical of this theory from the get go, but it proved itself to have significant predictive power and its predictions have reliably shown themselves to be better than many alternative models. Alternative models still exist however, and are being actively developed. The lack of a description of what happened "before" or how the initial describable state of the universe came to be leaves plenty of room open for string theorists and quantum loop gravity folk to refine and revise the model.

... but you're not in this thread to understand the actual opinions of scientists, the current scientific consensus, alternatives, or why the current consensus is so widely accepted. You're here to claim that scientific knowledge based on petabytes of experimental data and proven reliable in making predictions carries no more weight than a random individual's guess. In fact, you're here to claim that your guess, based on incredulity alone, is automatically superior to the view that corresponds to external reality. So, bang on. Feel free to continue. Don't stop on my account.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
07-10-2013, 01:03 AM
(06-10-2013 11:54 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  The big bang theory has nothing to do with matter coming from non-matter. It describes the apparent expansion of the universe from the earliest moments we can reliably describe to the current time.

This...big bang theory tells us that the universe expanded from a hotter more dense state. It doesn't say anything about what banged, how it banged, or why it banged.

We lack a physics that allows us to model any state of the universe above the planck temperature. Without a working physics, we can't really say anything from a scientific perspective. Keep that in mind when you read or hear the claims of people like Lawrence Krauss who say the laws of physics allow the universe to come from nothing. We don't even know what the laws of physics were when the universe came into existence.
07-10-2013, 04:59 AM
(06-10-2013 07:56 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  The modern concept was first proposed by Georges LeMaitre.

You apparently did not read the article. You remain willfully ignorant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-10-2013, 05:31 AM
(06-10-2013 09:29 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  Normally when I'm not familiar with a topic, I research it before making a thread.

I'm pretty sure he already knew the answer. This is a prime example of "baiting."
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post