Who first came up with the idea of the big bang theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
RE: Who first came up with the idea of the big bang theory?
(06-10-2013 07:09 PM)I and I Wrote:  The completely idiotic fantasy that matter comes from nothing (the absence of matter) has been a staple for religious and non religious alike.

I like this thread because it touches on a train of thought that leads many people to the beauty of Science and reasoning. I remember many years ago thinking on the where does god come from, then when no probable explanations were offered from the various religious leaders. and then when science could not explain it either. I was stumped. I then had a light bulb moment (possibly god spoke to me).
" It's ok to admit I don't know" and its ok that no body knows, what is important is that you keep looking for an answer.

So even if the bigbang/expansion theory is proven bogus, this will only validate the validity of scientific thought as nothing is allowed to become dogma in science.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Jesus. I was this close .. , this close .. to likeing I&I's post, but then I read it again and realized he is a complete idiot, just as he always was.

So you can not ask the most simple question without attacking and looking like an idiot? What the fuck is wrong with your head? Have you ever talked to a human being in your life?

Go read Wiki or something, your questions are less and less amusing.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 5 users Like Filox's post
08-10-2013, 08:25 AM
(06-10-2013 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 07:09 PM)I and I Wrote:  The completely idiotic fantasy that matter comes from nothing (the absence of matter) has been a staple for religious and non religious alike.

Does anyone here know who first came up with the idea of the big bang?

Drinking Beverage

The modern concept was first proposed by Georges LeMaitre.

Wrong. Hoyle. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
08-10-2013, 09:04 AM
(08-10-2013 08:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  The modern concept was first proposed by Georges LeMaitre.

Wrong. Hoyle. Tongue

Nope, he just named it.

"...in particular his rejection of the "Big Bang" theory, a term originally coined by him on BBC radio."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2013, 09:50 AM
(08-10-2013 09:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 08:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wrong. Hoyle. Tongue

Nope, he just named it.

...which means there was no big bang before Hoyle. Lemaitre's theory was the primeval atom. Tongue

So there. Poopyhead.

(of course I'm just being a troll, which is about the only proper response to an I&I thread... Dodgy )

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
09-10-2013, 04:54 AM
(08-10-2013 08:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  The modern concept was first proposed by Georges LeMaitre.

Wrong. Hoyle. Tongue

Hoyle came up with the label "Big Bang" but did not come up with the theory. Hoyle was an opponent to the theory and came up with the name "Big Bang" as a means to ridicule it. Hoyle was the Richard Dawkins of his day but ended up converting to theism before he died.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
09-10-2013, 04:55 AM
(09-10-2013 04:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 08:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wrong. Hoyle. Tongue

Hoyle came up with the label "Big Bang" but did not come up with the theory. Hoyle was an opponent to the theory and came up with the name "Big Bang" as a means to ridicule it. Hoyle was the Richard Dawkins of his day but ended up converting to theism before he died.

In what sense?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-10-2013, 05:32 AM
(09-10-2013 04:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ended up converting to theism before he died.

Quote:Hoyle, who was an atheist,[15] anti-theist[citation needed] and Darwinist, said that this apparent suggestion of a guiding hand left him "greatly shaken." Those who advocate the intelligent design (ID) belief sometimes cite Hoyle's work in this area to support the claim that the universe was fine tuned in order to allow intelligent life to be possible. Alfred Russel of the Uncommon Descent community has even gone so far as labeling Hoyle "an atheist for ID".[16]

This is all I can find on the wikipedia article on Hoyle about his beliefs. Please cite a reference for your statement that he "converted to theism".
10-10-2013, 03:37 AM
(09-10-2013 05:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hoyle, who was an atheist,[15] anti-theist[citation needed] and Darwinist, said that this apparent suggestion of a guiding hand left him "greatly shaken." Those who advocate the intelligent design (ID) belief sometimes cite Hoyle's work in this area to support the claim that the universe was fine tuned in order to allow intelligent life to be possible. Alfred Russel of the Uncommon Descent community has even gone so far as labeling Hoyle "an atheist for ID".[16]

I thought I got the idea that he became a theist from Wikipedia a few years ago. Wikipedia articles change so much so who knows maybe it was there. Anyways all that I could dig up was this quote from him(it happens to be in the Wikipedia article):

"Would you not say to yourself, "Some super-calculating intellect must have designed the properties of the carbon atom, otherwise the chance of my finding such an atom through the blind forces of nature would be utterly minuscule. A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question."

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
10-10-2013, 05:25 AM
This appears to be the source of that quote:
http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/3312/1/Hoyle.pdf

The article concludes with:
"A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so over-whelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question."

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.