Who goes to heaven?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
02-02-2012, 08:08 PM
RE: Who goes to heaven?
(01-02-2012 10:08 AM)jimmygun Wrote:  According to my understanding nobody, especially believers go to heaven. The believer's soul maybe, but the things that make the believer an individual will be erased, things like empathy for example and replaced with only praise for a god.

were all going to Disneyland.....

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
03-02-2012, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012 05:00 PM by Kinger.)
I just don't understand why God ~ the creator of everything, who gives us free thought and has a purpose for us all; would punish us because we are skeptical of his loosely written, hypocritical book. If he indeed does have a purpose for us all then does that mean we as skeptics were born to go to hell? Growing up I believed in God because that's what I was taught. So God had me at hello, it's his fault I didn't stick around for the after party not mine. Why should I be punished because God gave me the tool of skepticism.

Edit:
It's stuff like this that has turned me into an Atheist. It's the logical choice.
[+] 2 users Like Kinger's post
03-02-2012, 08:36 PM
(03-02-2012 04:56 PM)Kinger Wrote:  I just don't understand why God ~ the creator of everything, who gives us free thought and has a purpose for us all; would punish us because we are skeptical of his loosely written, hypocritical book. If he indeed does have a purpose for us all then does that mean we as skeptics were born to go to hell? Growing up I believed in God because that's what I was taught. So God had me at hello, it's his fault I didn't stick around for the after party not mine. Why should I be punished because God gave me the tool of skepticism.

Edit:
It's stuff like this that has turned me into an Atheist. It's the logical choice.

I'm always uncomfortable with the line of questioning that starts with "why would god . . . " It almost gives legitimacy to the belief. Religious people can always give you a great answer for "why would". Shit all they need to say is we don't know God's will.

The real question is what evidence has ever been produced that would lead one to think that there is such a thing as heaven, hell or any afterlife? And I can't accept a 2,000 year old book written by frightened, scientifically ignorant people as "evidence".

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
[+] 3 users Like free2011's post
03-02-2012, 09:13 PM
(03-02-2012 04:56 PM)Kinger Wrote:  I'm always uncomfortable with the line of questioning that starts with "why would god . . . " It almost gives legitimacy to the belief.

Spot on!

You could say, "Why would people invent a god who would...."

This is a very answerable question. "Because they want to scare people into submission".

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
04-02-2012, 12:57 AM
(03-02-2012 08:36 PM)free2011 Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 04:56 PM)Kinger Wrote:  I just don't understand why God ~ the creator of everything, who gives us free thought and has a purpose for us all; would punish us because we are skeptical of his loosely written, hypocritical book. If he indeed does have a purpose for us all then does that mean we as skeptics were born to go to hell? Growing up I believed in God because that's what I was taught. So God had me at hello, it's his fault I didn't stick around for the after party not mine. Why should I be punished because God gave me the tool of skepticism.

Edit:

I'm always uncomfortable with the line of questioning that starts with "why would god . . . " It almost gives legitimacy to the belief. Religious people can always give you a great answer for "why would". Shit all they need to say is we don't know God's will.

The real question is what evidence has ever been produced that would lead one to think that there is such a thing as heaven, hell or any afterlife? And I can't accept a 2,000 year old book written by frightened, scientifically ignorant people as "evidence".

True. As I reread what I wrote, it kind of sounds like im coming from the stand point of believing god exists but refuse to believe in him. I don't believe god exists or that the bible is anything more than a fairytale.
04-02-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't see how "going to heaven" solves anything. The existence of an afterlife, and the "meaning" of life, seem like independent problems to me. For example, what if you go to heaven, but discover that your existence there has no meaning?
04-02-2012, 11:11 PM
(03-02-2012 08:36 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I'm always uncomfortable with the line of questioning that starts with "why would god . . . " It almost gives legitimacy to the belief. Religious people can always give you a great answer for "why would". Shit all they need to say is we don't know God's will.

So, when someone asks a question that starts with, "Why would God ...?"
Maybe your answer could be... "What God?"

And then walk away while whistling the theme to The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Smile

Ok, that last thing might be a bit over the top. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
04-02-2012, 11:27 PM
(04-02-2012 11:11 PM)kim Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 08:36 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I'm always uncomfortable with the line of questioning that starts with "why would god . . . " It almost gives legitimacy to the belief. Religious people can always give you a great answer for "why would". Shit all they need to say is we don't know God's will.

So, when someone asks a question that starts with, "Why would God ...?"
Maybe your answer could be... "What God?"

And then walk away while whistling the theme to The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Smile

Ok, that last thing might be a bit over the top. Dodgy

Nah, it's actually the only reasonable reaction to such theistic nonsense. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
05-02-2012, 04:33 AM
According to every Christian I've talked to, this is who will go to heaven:
Them
Their parents
Any siblings that they are on speaking terms with
Their spouse
Their kids (unless the kid is a teenager)
Their pastor
Elderly church members in their congregation
The person they are having an affair with

Meanwhile, here are the people who won't get to heaven:
Atheists
Their ex-spouse
Their abusive parent
Teenagers
Atheists
Their kid's friends
Their kid's friend's parents
Anyone who isn't in their church
Atheists
The members of their church that they don't like
Their high school bully
Jews
Muslims
Atheists
Humanitarians
Politicians
Atheists
and of course... ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH THEM ABOUT ANYTHING!!!

Oh, did I mention Atheists?

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Science Believer's post
05-02-2012, 06:05 AM
Wasn’t it like 144,000 have tickets and the remaining 6,999,856,000 or so get a lump of coal in our afterlife stocking?
Christians eh? Almost makes you feel sorry for god having to put up with them for ever…
Almost…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche